458 - Gurgling when turning...I’m stumped! | FerrariChat

458 Gurgling when turning...I’m stumped!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LivingthedreamBAB, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I’m stumped! I am a fairly good mechanic and can usually diagnose most things but this one baffles me. Symptoms are as follow:

-when driving slower (low exhaust note) and turning the wheel I hear a gurgling noise that sounds a slight but like something is rubbing but it’s really more of a gurgle
    -if stopped and turn wheel it doesn’t make noise. Only makes noise when moving
    -I’ve checked the car thoroughly for any possible places it is rubbing. There is no rubbing and it makes noise if the wheel is 1/8 turned or turned further while moving. No noise when moving straight
    -application of the brakes does not change the noise

My friend who is a race car mechanic is baffled too after spending an hour looking at it.

So here I am asking for help and hopeful that one of you may know what the issue is! As always, I appreciate your help!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If this is on concrete at very low speed and your ambient temperatures have dropped could it be Ackerman effect from the front wheels ?

4. craigburton

craigburton Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    This is without doubt a drive shaft/cv issue. I had those exact symptoms and resolved the noise with a new driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT

I understand the Ackerman effect (Porsche has this really bad) which in this case is not the issue. Appreciate the input though!

6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing to me. When you load up one of the wheels, it makes the noise. Drive straight and it doesn't make the noise under lower load.

7. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I was thinking the same thing but there is no movement or grinding in wheel bearing when I check them. I was 99% sure that was the issue till I checked them and found them to seem just fine. Appreciate the help!

8. craigburton

craigburton Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Any update on your issue?

9. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I am thinking more and more this is in fact a rear driveshaft issue. Crazy how the noise radiates to front of car. Sounding like a rear right drive shaft. When turning right it makes the noise a lot more than a left so likely there is scaring or oxidation in the area that allows the driveshaft to extend some and when turning right it extends the axle. Now that I am 95% sure it’s the axle (like you said) I am going to drive it till the spring as that won’t cause additional damage. Will only drive a few times for next few months due to winter. Will report back in spring with result of repair. Thanks again!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. craigburton

craigburton Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    thanks for the update. Let us know once you get it sorted!

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Could also be a differential / limited slip sort of issue. Have you had the gear oil changed recently by any chance?

I would also try driving the car with ESC OFF and see if anything changes, as the car sometimes uses brake modulation. Another thing would be to kill the power by disconnecting the battery and then follow the reconnect procedure in the manual, just to help rule out any bizarre ECU malfunction issues there.

Try jacking up the back of the car and do a standard wheel bearing check. Top to bottom, left to right, see if there is any compliance felt which might suggest wheel bearings that are grinding themselves to death.

And of course, something related to a CV type joint can make that grinding noise. Check your boots and see if there is a tear or anything.

Ray