GTO Spyder for sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GTO Spyder for sale

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Tspringer, Feb 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    So confusing . . . Perhaps they should add a class M-3 for Ferrari custom coach work and resto-rods. LOL!

If I were a Pebble Beach judge, I'd require that each of the owners left their cars and keys with me. After spending half a day with each car (doing super secret testing) I'd return with my winners. Envelopes left under the seats encouraged, but by no means necessary.

Aren't the winners pretty much decided in advance anyways? (not meant as a joke, just what I've heard)

2. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

I never said it was a real GTO. In fact, in my initial posting I clearly identified it as the replica it is. Nobody is attempting to pass this car off as anything other than what it is.

I take it that you also hate and consider as abominations the Nembo spyders, NART 275 spyders, all cut Daytonas and anything Tom Meade ever modified? After all, whats the difference between a GTE modified into a Nembo spyder and the fake GTO style spyder?

I like cars because they are fun. Fun to look at, fun to drive, fun to listen too and fun to play with. I understand that for many its some sort of religious thing and keeping the cars 100% accurate, original and undriven is considered the ultimate homage to the shrine of Enzo. Whatever floats your boat. You may sneer at the GTO fake spyder as "unworthy" of proper respect or whatever but that wouldnt matter one bit to me as I fly down the road with a giant grin on my face.

Terry

3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Terry in a lot of ways I think you are right. My first post was in reference to why destroy a good GTE? If it was a write off a chasis or a problem car I see no problem with a rebody. But if someone took a decent GTE and hacked it to make a GTO replica I do have a problem with that. It's still a Ferrari, why some people take beautiful drivers and make them into something they are not is beyond me. In the long run, I believe that a rebody will never be worth as much as the original donor or the original it is trying to immitate. It would still be a lot of fun driving, but at what expense?

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Taking into account that it's a "spyder", this car seems to be visually out of whack...odd proportions, I can't put my finger on it.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Much as I like GTEs, I have to say I like this car quite a bit. And, I think Terry has it pretty much right on.

That said, I'd hate to see someone take a perfectly good GTE (or even a marginal one) in this day and age and rebody it. There are getting to be few enough GTEs left, and there are enough rebodies already around.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
  7. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Exactly. It's ugly thats why! I agree 100% with Marcel.

RIP 250GTE :(

Vasco

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm totally with Terry on this, and IMO, I'd say Jim brings up a few good points about the hypocrisy of the situation.

Hey, I keep buying cars and destroying them. Hopefully one day I'll have a 250 gt swb i can wrap around a telephone pole. They're sheet metal, leather, rubber and plastic. Get over it.

--Dan

9. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    This may not be word-for-word accurate but was it a Mr.E.Ferrari who said something like "I will sell you the chassis and the engine - you get the body free" (please correct for the exact phrase and speaker), which sort of implies that you can do what you like with the body.

Marcel is clearly a purist of the most fanatical disposition and will never be convinced that a rebodied Ferrari is a "real" Ferrari, however, he is entitled to his opinion as everyone else is to theirs. Taking this to the nth degree I don't think any car can be perfectly original unless it has NEVER turned a wheel, which defeats the object somehow.

In due course I expect to be castigated by MM for my destruction of a future classic...
    (click the signature link)

10. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    I should really have checked the extradition laws between UK, Singapore & USA before I posted my last message...

11. Rareusgold

Rareusgold Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Did someone cut off the roof of one of your cars during the middle of the night?

While I believe the samething that you do, that cutting the top off of a 250 GTE is a shame. It is NOT your car. I know that people are passionate about the Ferrari heritage, but who are you to judge what someone else might like. Who are you to use words like destroy, fake, and say that they should go to jail. What person would spend that kind of money and not know that there was never such thing as a 250 GTE Spider. No one thats who? So, no fraud is taking place.

I would not even consider putting a TUBI exhaust on my car. But does that mean that I think that the people that do should go to jail. And then tell them that they just destroyed there car. Plus now there car should not be considered a Ferrari. Come on.

Belive me I know the History of Ferrari and I spent a lot of my life working to afford my Ferrari. I also know what it takes to keep one in original condition scoring 98 points at the cavallino. BUT in reality it is a car. Yes, It is a Ferrari but it is still a car. And it is NOT EVEN your Car.

SO take a breath relax and realize that when you go off on your rant that you look a little over the top.

OH by the way don't ever take your Ferrari in for major service, because once you do it is no longer considered a Ferrari because your spark plugs are not original. I know that this example is crazy, but where do you draw the line. When does a car stop being a Ferrari. And who makes you the ultimate judge? It is still a Ferrari. Maybe a damaged one in my eyes but still a Ferrari. In someone elses eyes it could be the most beautiful Ferrari in existance.

I would not want to see what you say about people that do not believe in the same religion as you do. If you are so angry at what they do to there own cars.

12. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm on the fence.

I think destroying an intact vintage automobile is in bad-taste, but I also understand that people can do what they want with their property. If I was in the position to do so I'd order up a new chassis/body and source an engine that would be appropriate (e.g. older V12, hopefully Ferrari).

On the other hand, I think what Jim is doing is pretty badass and I fully believe that it's going to look & perform better than the Enzo. If he did it 20 years from now? Back to my original point...

13. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #38 Aardy, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can someone explain me the difference between a guy who removed the body on his 250 GT 2+2 and put then a replica body and this Phantom III with the body removed by the Talibans before US intervention ??

For me, it's the same work and same result : a wonderful car destroyed by ignorant people.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I fail to feel any respect for this GTO Spyder. I cannot look upon it as anything else than a chopped up GTE. On the other hand, I feel differently about the before mentioned 330GTS Michelotti and 330GT Drogo. I realize it is somewhat hypocritcal, but when the chop or rebody is done by a coachbuilder recognized by the factory, or a coachbuilder that has played a decent role in Ferrari-history (like Drogo, Michelotti, Pininfarina, Vignale), I have no trouble accepting the car as a genuine Ferrari, no matter how it looks.

15. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    This should be in the P&R section. Old Ferraris are more religion than art.

Ken

16. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

I differ here. I respect very high quality skilled efforts that result in automotive beauty. Whether the hand the produces such amazing results is American in the modern day or non-Ferrari Factory Italian 30 years ago does not matter to me. Why should it? Skilled metal fabrication is an art and who/where/when the artist may have achieved success is less important than the actual success achieved.

I think anyone who would take a really great condition GTE and trash it to build a replica is a bit crazy, but its their money and car and they can do what they wish. A rusted out GTE that needs a complete restoration..... I see no issue using it as a donor. If the number of GTE's ever declines to very small numbers due to such efforts the prices will rise due to rarity such that people will begin to convert replicas back to GTEs and all will be fine.

I see great and absurd hypocrisy among the "elite purist" on this subject. A Nembo spyder or Tom Meade special built/modified from an original Ferrari is the same as this GTO. They are Ferrari based specials.

Tis a shame all the purist will lament the destruction of my Daytona. After all, the engine has been modified for more power, it runs a cold-air induction box, the suspension is being modified with adjustable springs/shocks and a bigger front anti-roll bar and the ring/pinion is going to be changed to lower the final drive ration and top speed but gaining acceleration. The car looks stock.... but since everyone now knows it is not I guess its in fact not a Ferrari any more and is just a ruined hulk. Oh well.

Terry

shaun lamont likes this.
  17. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    IT S NORMAL KEN.
    WE TAKE CARS LIKE ART AND FERRARI HISTORY LIKE OUR RELIGION.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm leaning more to Marcels side here, but not exactly that pure.

250 GTE/PF should never be destroyed for a recreation. You will go to hell for that, just like passing one off as a GTO/TR. I think about any condition of car can be restored, so I don't buy the "it would cost more to restore than its worth" argument. It isn't about money, it is our responsibility to preserve these cars as temporary care takers until they are passed on to the next care taker. Maybe a little better than recreating something would be parting out to keep 3 of 4 cars on the road vs. none.

Period rebodies are acceptable in my opinion, that is Ferrari history. Chopping GTE's and PF's in the eighties is not pure Ferrari history. Bob Norwood and others will go to hell for that. Maybe even cut Daytonas of seventies and eighties. GTO recreations from a 308 is in that same class for me.

Drivability modifications are somewhat acceptable, but isn't part of the experience driving them as they were? How about performance modifications? Who cares! If you want HP, go buy any modern 4 door sedan.

All that said, my Texas blood wants to give people the freedom to do whatever they want to do, they own it, just expect me to disagree and give them grief. :)

19. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Private property seems very important for US people but I think you forget something important : You will be not indefinitely the owner of your Ferrari.
    One day, you will sell it or your heirs will sell it after your death.
    I think each Ferrari owner has a duty of preserving the Ferrari heritage. Making a replica is like destroying the Ferrari memory.

20. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah...I mean, there are replicars, and then there are better replicars. This particular one happens to look no better than your average "250 GTO" on a Nissan Z chassis. But, I've seen detailed pics of GTO rebodies that looked very good, so good that if I had the money I might buy one and drive it proudly. Mike Sheehan had one such example up on his page a few years back; it may still be in his sold cars section.

Ethics of rebodying...it's a tossup, since bringing a rough but restorable 330 2+2 or GTE up to standard can easily be a $100K+ job, on top of a minimum $35K purchase price. We 2+2 owners can always use spare parts, but I have an automatic negative gut reaction to seeing a viable car parted out. In such a situation, I support rebodying if that's what will keep an otherwise doomed vintage S/N on the road. That still puts plenty of useable parts in circulation.

In the case of solid driver and better production 2+2's, yes, rebodying goes against good vintage Ferrari ethics, though the greedy person in me says that every time one goes down, the rarer they become. :)

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    amen, preach it brother.

22. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    But, "period" sounds like a relative term. To you and me 1960's is period. To our grandchildren 1980's could very well mean period.

Honestly, notwithstanding its racing history, the 250GTO itself is barely an attractive car. The subject long wheelbased spyder is so much less so.

john

23. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Interesting remark

;)

24. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    You guys are taking this all too seriously. We need to get John Lamour’s opinions on rebodying. He seems to be our foremost expert at taking an existing body and making it a “fantasy body.” Look at the following posts and I think you will see how they look like they could be found in response to one of John’s implant posts:

25. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia