GTO Spyder for sale | FerrariChat

GTO Spyder for sale

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Tspringer, Feb 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
  2. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Beautiful car, no doubt...but why ruin a 250 GTE?

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Which would you rather have, this GTO Spyder custom or a 250GTE?

Some may prefer the GTE. As for me, I would take the GTO every time and clearly many others would agree. There is your answer.

Terry

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is N O T a GTO. It is a poor and lousy replica, a fake, something which actually never even existed in period. There was never a GTO Spider originally!!!
    Another lovely and genuine Ferrari destroyed. What a shame.
    Marcel Massini

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Yes and a 250GTE at that. I wish people would stop doing that.

6. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    How do you know that anybody ruined a 250 GTE? I've seen a few GTE frames on E-bay through the years. One in particular was NOTHING except the frame and a few scraps of the firewall. Building a replica out of something like that would be preferable to letting it sit around for 40 years waiting for somebody who MIGHT need it after they let their original GTE driver's frame rust away.

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    AGAIN: You cannot build a REPLICA of a GTO Spyder because there has never been a GTO Spyder originally. It would be a complete "fantasy" car, something that never existed.
    AND AGAIN: People who destroy genuine Ferraris and use them as donor cars for fakes, replicas, whatever, should go to jail.
    Do you really wanna show a replica to your kids and friends an tell them it is a Ferrari? Why fool other people? What's wrong with you?
    Marcel Massini

F456M likes this.
  8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Marcel, it's not necessarily about "fooling" anybody. I'm just saying that if I found a junker 250 GTE frame somewhere and it wasn't going to be used for any restoration purposes, why not put it to good use and create a beautiful car and have some fun with it? Every Ferrari enthusiast knows that there were no GTO spyders made, so nobody is going to be fooled. I am NOT advocating hacking up a complete car to make a fantasy car or a replica. But if somebody finds a rusting frame and makes some use out of it, what's the harm?

And to be TECHNICALLY and LEGALLY correct, in most states here in the USA, if the frame is from a Ferrari and the serial numbers are still legible on the frame, then the car legally IS a Ferrari no matter what type of body is on the frame, and the car can be registered with the Ferrari serial number. Totally legal and legitimate.

9. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Marcel keep cool... Ferrari have one of the most beautifull Palmares in the world, Ferrari it s like a "religion", but be objective a second,
    Ferrari is the best car in world... and so what.

10. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Marcel,
    Of course you are right about the car not being a replica, as there never was one made by the factory. It could however, be correctly termed a Ferrari "Rebody", not a period rebody, but there are a number of period rebodies floating around.

Regards,
    Bill

11. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    And that brings us back to the old question: How far away from the "period" can a "period" rebody be before the car gets snubbed? If a GTE was rebodied in 1968, is it "period"? How about 1974? Or 1986?

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

......and create again a 250 GTE, and nothing else!!! It takes GUTS, but most people wouldn't have the guts to build a proper 250 GTE again.
    BTW, why don't you fill in your profile??? With over 4'200 posts its about time, I think.
    Marcel Massini

13. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Marcel,
    Would it be any more palatable, if the owner or creator were to refer to it as a 250GTE Speciale or ???

14. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I think Horsefly raises a good question. In the early days, one of the perks of being a rich Ferrari owner was that you could customize your Ferrari as you saw fit. 40 years later some of those cars end up on the lawn at Pebble. At what point did this become taboo?

(for those scoring - I'd take the GTO recreation, but only because I could find good use for some of the parts!)

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No way.
    This has nothing to do with the description. It is about destroying a piece of art and a piece of history.
    If you wanna build a "GTO Spyder" or whatever, go and build a brand new frame, assemble a new motor, create your fantasy body and put it all together but don't call it a Ferrari.
    Marcel Massini

16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I agree that one could take a GTE frame and, over the course of time, somehow locate a body and rebuild a complete car. But wouldn't that car be recognized as merely a mongrel? The body of one car on the frame of another? Also, not everybody has the time or money to go to the effort to assemble such a mongrel, only to have people scoff at it because it is not "pure". And even if they did invest all their time and money, their mongrel would not be a "period" rebody and would therefore draw the predictable scorn from the purists.

I believe that Napolis is making a modern day effort to continue the tradition. The purists must be swooning!

17. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    #17 GTE, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Marcel, would you call the Drogo-bodied 330 GT or the Michelotti-bodied (once owned by mr Ed Niles??) genuine Ferrari's?

What about the Pininfarina-built P4/5, commissioned by none other than our very own Napolis?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You may have seen a few customized Ferraris at Pebble. But: The 375 MM Scaglietti Coupé #0402 AM (of Jon Shirley) couldn't win at Pebble, simply because it is a rebodied Ferrari, even if it is a very nice one. 0402 AM started life as a regular 375 MM Spider Pinin Farina.
    Same with Greg Garrison's 410 SA #0671 SA which has been completely rebodied.
    Marcel Massini
    Member IAC/PFA
    (International Advisory Council for the Preservation of the Ferrari Automobile)

F456M likes this.
  19. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Genuine? Yes. UGLY? Definately!
    These cars still need another rebody!!!!

20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No. Not genuine Ferraris anymore. Heavily converted ones. In both cases a 330 GT 2+2 was butchered. And it doesn't help if Ed Niles owned it or not. None of these cars can be shown at an FCA or Pebble Concours.

Marcel Massini

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If the rebody was done by Ferrari it could no? 0856 0808 for example. (In the case of 0808 some believe that it's chassis was originally in another car:0780) ?

22. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Marcel,
    With all due respect, it is a Ferrari chassis, a Ferrari drive train with a rebody. I don't know what to call it, if not Ferrari. Jones/Genaddi bodied Ferrari 250GTE, now there's a mouthfull.

Regards,
    Bill

23. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    That's what I was thinking. What if I had a real GTO and had Ferrari make a roadster body for it? (Stop cringing; it's a 'what if'!)

That's a real Ferrari; could I show it at Pebble Beach?

Ken

24. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

I'm sure that's taken to mean as part of it's S.p.A. history. Correct me if I wrong but for example 0854 could be shown as a coupe but not as a Spyder.
    0856 can be shown as a Spyder because even though it began as a coupe it was converted by Ferrari to a Spyder during it's S.p.A racing days. 0854 was built as a coupe by S.p.A. and converted to a Spyder not by Ferrari therefore to be eligible for Pebble it must be reconverted back to a coupe, which as an aside I'm doing using it's original coupe body.

25. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    #25 GTE, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I actually like the yellow/black Michelotti.

Not to keen however on that other Michelotti even if it was owned by Steve McQueen.

-edit-