News

GTO Engineering Developing its own V12 60s Inspired New Car!

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by miurasv, Nov 3, 2020.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 Veteran

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1 miurasv, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Boomhauer, 9nb, SVCalifornia and 3 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Interesting, done with skill and expertise but should be in replica section, not here.

turbo-joe and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  4. BJK

BJK Formula 3

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Instead moved from 'Vintage' to here, 'Special Projects and Concept Cars', because Ferrari wouldn't allow this 'replica', would they? ;) :p

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    And rightly so. While I disagree with the cynical cashing in stance of Classiche Ferrari do have a right to protect their legacy: it is all about balance.

6. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    Intellectual property issues aside, that thing is gorgeous. I'd like a larger sidewall-wheel ratio and a few louvres in the sail panel, but I think I'd manage quite happily with the car as rendered.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. TTR

TTR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, this ”thing” appears to have as much to do with vintage Ferrari as those Clenets, Excaliburs, etc do with classic cars in general, but there were buyers for those too ...

9. amenasce

amenasce Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I like it. I wish it would be just a tad more different than a SWB though.

10. BJK

BJK Formula 3

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #8 BJK, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    456-boy, Boomhauer and 9nb like this.
  11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Wish I could say something positive, but...............it's simply a pastiche of too many iconic designs. Fail.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. BJK

BJK Formula 3

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I'd rather tell people I bought a million dollar 'Shark' and not a 'Squalo' :confused:

14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    THE GTO ENGINEERING SWB

I think I passed up a short wheelbase berlinetta with a Chevy small block in it back in 1970 for about ten grand.
    Now of course an alloy bodied swb is nearing a million, add more if its got a documented racing history.
    But ironically it's a British firm that's bringing back the car. It's kind of like in the movie Vertigo where Jimmy Stewart, having seen his lady love (played by Kim Novak) fall from a tower to her death then sees another girl on the street and befriends her and gradually turns her into a look-alike for the one he loved (only to find it is the same gal, a part of an elaborate scheme).

• Which brings me to the GTO Engineering Squalo which is described in a story by Geoge Ketsatis on a website Collectors Car World.
    published May 15, 2021.The car is called the GTO Engineering Squalo

and they say it's built "to put the fun and

engagement back into driving." It is not a

tool room copy built on a Ferrari chassis but

an all new car GTO Engineering is designing,

developing and building at its UK HQ.

They could have copied the styling, chassis and mechanicals of the original but chose to do instead a swb-inspired car. Not that they don't know old Ferraris--

they have been restoring, building and maintaining a range of road- and race-oriented Ferraris since 1991. This car has a

fully custom interior, a hand-crafted exterior, but modern technology and manufacturing.

Their weight target was a sub-1,000 kg weight, and they had to have a V12,

and they do, a hand-built quad-cam V12 engine

mated to a 5-speed manual.

The question is, what will Ferrari think? The most recent

shot against copycats was fired recently by Jaguar which

got a court order against a couple who claimed to be

mere hobbyists who are making a D-type Jag replica and

have several orders.. Jaguar recently made a dozen or so 1961

E-type replicas so they don't much like outsiders taking

chunks of their history and reproducing it. According to Bloomberg
    "Jaguar’s classics department has announced it will make eight more of the curvaceous C-Type that was originally produced from 1951 to 1953.

The continuation cars, set to converge on a special track day in 2022 to celebrate 70 years since the original release, will be the fourth of its kind for the Coventry, England-based company. Jaguar started developing Jaguar Lightweight E-Type and Jaguar XKSS continuation cars as far back as 2014; in 2018, it began building D-Type continuations.

Jaguar is far from the only company to cash in on the continuation business model, which grants uber-expensive, hyperlimited new cars to well-heeled fans of the brand. In 2018, Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings Plc announced it would make 19 fresh continuations of its classic DB4 Zagato GT from the 1960s and 25 continuations of its DB5s famed from Goldfinger."

So automakers consider going back in the time machine and putting some oldies but goodies back into production their right and privilege.

One wonders if Ferrari,faced as are all automakers with going along with a

supposed rush to electrics, has more important fish to fry

than going after a replica maker?.

I don't have any more details but here's the body

of the Squalo, and an engine shot. No price in the story.

What say you?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login