GRRR, is the Exoticar Model Company out of business? | FerrariChat

GRRR, is the Exoticar Model Company out of business?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by 96GTS, Feb 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96GTS

96GTS Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2004
    I'm going into the city tomorrow pretty much the whole day and I wanted to go the Exoticar Model Company store in NYC. Apparently, they don't seem to exist anymore. I found a listing and tried to call them but got the "do dO DO! Please try again...blah" message. I even called the company store customer service line and got nothing. I really like that place I'm surprised they went poof. They had alot of Ferrari stuff. :(

--RS

2. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    They are gone from that location. Their only retail store that they have at the moment is near Boston.

3. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Tried calling them as well and no answer which is rather odd. I did a lot of business with them and never struck me as this happening but then again the economy is in the toilet and they were rapidly expanding. The NYC store closing must have been the start. Oh well.

4. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

The NYC store has been closed at least a year, if not longer.

The Boston store isnt really in Boston, its in an industrial park just off the Expressway in Weymouth. Not much of a showrooom either when I stopped in there in 2005. I happened to be nearby for other business, but wldve been angry if I made a special trip.

Supposedly Exoticar is opening a showroom in Atlantic City at one of the hotels.... but I dont know if that ever happened.

5. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just tried calling them - again no answer. Their website now lists the company name as "Hollywood Model Cars" - Under "Retail Locations" no locations are listed....

6. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I just found Exoticar. They moved into the Marshalls Plaza in Weymouth, MA

The company is no longer called Exoticar.

The new name is "Its All About Cars" - They still have a great selection of models at the store. I don't have the phone number, but here is the address:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=marshalls+weymouth+ma&fb=1&gl=us&hq=marshalls&hnear=weymouth+ma&cid=0,0,142352724237616713&ei=xRMES77sN4GvlAf2-MjqAQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAoQnwIwAA

7. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    There is a place on rt22 in bound brook that has a very nice selection also. I can't remember the name, but it is a 3 letter name...starting with an E I think.

8. Joshatarea51

Joshatarea51 Rookie

Nov 27, 2009
    #8 Joshatarea51, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Exoticar is no more now its called It's all about cars/Hollywood Model cars. They have a sale in the retail store today (Marshalls Plaza by South Shore Hosp Weymouth) they said thru Sunday 25% anything in the store got some killer deals picked me up a elite Cali for 75.00

9. Joshatarea51

Joshatarea51 Rookie

Nov 27, 2009
    hey I also found the number to get them 339-499-1552 seems like they turned the company around

10. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    You're talking about EWA, on Rt 22 East. Nice place, but everyone's hurting, so they've lost some of their items. Also, I worked at SpeedGear, I'm sure you all have heard of them, great place!! Check them out!! They're located in Berkeley Heights, NJ now!! www.speedgear.com Anyway, I know I'm a bunch of comments late, but I know that Exoticar closed their NYC store due to being robbed countless times. Believe it or not, even on Park Ave., you can still get robbed. Between that fact and slow business, they pulled out. Either way, I loved them too, always visited there when I went, was really disappointed when they pulled out. But SpeedGear has just as much and not because I worked there. I didn't read this whole thread, so I hope I didn't repeat anyone.

11. bruceeboy

bruceeboy Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    Hilton Head, SC
    Full Name:
    Bruce Cochran
    Exoticar is still in business as "Hollywoodmodelcar.com" I would steer away from this retailer, however. I made a purchase on their web site in July '09 for a car that they listed in stock. They charged my credit card right away, but I never received the car, in spite of the fact that their web site states they only charge your card when the model ships. When I contacted them, I kept getting the same response "that they were expecting the car in the next week or two." The car I thought I purchased was hard to find and foolishly, I waited too long to dispute the charge, loosing ~ $100 in the bargain.

If you're not comfortable shopping for die cast on eBay, there are numberous on-line retailers that have a bigger selection and are completely trustworthy. Probably one of the best is Replicarz > http://www.replicarz.com/ .

12. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
    For a great selection of rare memorabilia including many large model cars please check out my site www.collectorstudio.com

Morry

13. bruceeboy

bruceeboy Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    Hilton Head, SC
    Full Name:
    Bruce Cochran
    Jan 05, 09 - my credit card charges were finally refunded. I suppose it could have all been a mix up, but 6 months is a long time to wait. After exchanging several "heated" emails, it was clear that someone purchased Exoticar (also about 6 months ago) - actually called "It's All About Cars" now and is trying to make a go of it. Hopefully they'll d better with other customers.

14. Riskinator

Riskinator Karting

Feb 11, 2006
    North America
    Thanks for the info!

In my experience I think one of the very best retailers for price and customer service is:

https://www.tomotorsports.com/catalog/index.php or www.tomotorsports.com

They seem to be cheaper than anywhere else (especially in Canada), great shipping and customer service. When I buy a model I want quality and service at the best price I can find. Some people try to convince you their higher prices are justified because they have a fancier store to pay for... I really don't care. Best price for the commodity wins. Toronto Motorsports is such a store. No affiliation, yada, yada, yada...

15. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    #15 FerrariMC, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    SPEEDGEAR.COM!! Go there, you'll find everything you need. Great selection, great prices, quick shipping, etc.. Ferrari Distributor for Precisport products, which is all the Ferrari apparel that's NOT Puma, that just has the "scudetto" on it or "Ferrari" lettering. One-stop shopping!! I've always shopped there, great place!!

16. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Exoticar did indeed open a store in the Shops at Caesar's Pier in Atlantic City but it didn't last very long. Started in a decent size spot, moved to a smaller space then pulled out completely a few months ago.

EWA is indeed on Rt 22 in Green Brook NJ but you had better hurry. They've had a clearance going for months and are now at 70% off with very little left. They say that the business has changed on several fronts and that it isn't worth continuing to operate a retail storefront. They will probably continue their magazine import/distribution business from a different location.

17. boxsterboy986

boxsterboy986 Rookie

Jun 4, 2008
    #17 boxsterboy986, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    thats a shame, been ording cars from that company for years. FIrst discovered them at the auto shows at javitz center. never had any problems with them and they were always great. too bad.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. fc_11

fc_11 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    NY
    Sadly, their Park Ave location is now a Starbucks. Pretty much says it all.

19. micarri

micarri Rookie

Jan 22, 2010
    Hi,

Greetings from Spain.

Sorry for my bad English. Surfin' on Internet I have seen this thread about Hollywood Model Car -aka or former Exoticar.com- and I would like to tell you a bad experience I am passing with this company.

Well, two weeks ago, I placed an order for three avaliable Autoart 1/43 diecast cars and the invoice they sent to me was for the total ammount of USD 119.97 plus USPS International Insured Priority Mail to Spain costs (About USD 40.00 or so cos http://dicksqualitydiecast.com charged USD 40.00 for using the same shipping method to sent to Spain a 1/18 GMP Ferrari P5 Berlinetta #21). On last Tuesday I recieved a electronic message from VISA telling me that they have charged my credit card twice, fist time for USD 109.98 and second time for USD 84.99. I sent two messages to Hollywood Model Car asking for any explanation and they replied to me the following responses,

"No, there is a separate charge for shipping and processing from Auto Art thats the 2nd bill"

"With international orders they are charged differently to avoid fraud etc. 119.97 was the car price 25 for customs shipping handeling etc and the shipment with tracking was with insurece and tracking was the 54.00 balance"

Couriously, on its website, you can read ""Because we purchase directly from the
    manufacturer, we can offer the lowest prices along with exclusive models and
    colors, backed by HollywoodModelCar.com Model Company's Lowest Price
    Guarantee where we will meet or beat any price advertised by 5%.".

It is the first time I see something like this .... the buyer paying the seller the shipping costs he needs to pay to a wholesaler to obtain the merchandise he is go to sell to the same buyer. Is it not included on the price offered on its Website?. Please, let me know your point of views cos I do not undertand hte responses sent from that on-line shop.

Thanks in advance and I hope you can understand me,

Miguel.-

P.D.- Ordered diecast cars were -or are- three Autoart 1/43 Porsche 917K Daytona 24h 70' winner #1 purchased on behalf of three fellow collectors ..... No Ferraris, sorry. :)

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm glad to hear EWA is just regrouping....they were IT for a long time, back when I first started collecting...