GP of America in NJ Discussion and Speculation | FerrariChat

GP of America in NJ Discussion and Speculation

Discussion in 'F1' started by GrigioGuy, Dec 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will the "New York" Grand Prix happen in 2013?

1. You bet!

2. No way.

3. Other witty answer below

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    So why wait for the inevitable? ;) ;)

Discuss the temporary-seat GP of America that may happen "near" NYC.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Hopefully more details will be released. If it takes place it will be an exciting event. I would imagine they have learned from Austin on how not to do things? One can only hope.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I have much more faith in Jersey since the work they have to complete seems to be much less. The driving surface is already there, they just have to erect the temporary seating and barricades. My understanding is that Monaco is able to reopen their roads after each day’s activities are done on track and then re-close them the next morning so the process of setting up the temporary barricades cannot take too long nor should it completely close the roads down for the weekend.

Mark

4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Or was this a ploy by Bernie to put pressure on COTA?

5. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of work that may be needed to bring surface streets up to the level needed for high speed racing. The city of Baltimore just went through this with their Indy Car/ALMS race. The city (already struggling for $) invested millions of dollars for street repairs/upgrades - resurfacing, regrading of intersections, etc. It was a huge headache for commuters/businesses/residents of the city for many months. Still, the first day of practice had to have a delayed start for additional grinding on concrete to accomodate the Indy cars, repositioning of barriers, etc. Let's not forget all the other services that cities provides at events like this - trash removal, added ploice for crowds, special fire department setups to provide proper coverage to the city while major arteries are closed, etc.

NJ has a lot of work and investment ahead of them in a still challenging economy.

The Baltimore event was quite successful by many accounts. Unfortunately there are still local contractors that have not been paid. A couple that could go out of business - a very sad outcome on many levels. The event organizer filed for bankruptcy. The city is saying "no" to future events (5 year contract with Indy Car I think) until certain conditions are met. (I am not any kind of insider of the event - just reading what is reported by local media.)

I am certainly not saying the NJ race is doomed and will be a huge disaster. But I do believe people are underestimating what is needed to accomplish this. Austin "simply" had to raise money and deal with egos. NJ has to use public monies and deal with many existing residents and businesses...

I hope it happens. I probably would not attend due to the fact that it is a street race run between concrete barriers - much better seen and covered on television. I hope Austin happens too. If it does I will be there.

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I was a little involved with the Indy cars visit to San Jose a few years back - They were still building the (single!) pedestrian bridge over the track on the first morning and all running was cancelled. Then they were getting airborne over the trolley tracks (!) In many ways it's more difficult, though cheaper, than doing a purpose built facility IMO.

+1 Street circuits don't often offer very good spectator / viewing facilities.

Cheers,
    Ian

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wrong.
    The racing pavement is NOTHING like the existing street surface.

The crowns in the road will have to be ground down (they are there at every corner for rain runoff in normal conditions).

A hard surface of specialty overlay will need to be applied around the entire route.
    (Recall that these cars have about 1.5" of suspension travel in total)

Manhole lids will need to be welded down, to insure the surface effects of the passing cars don't send them airborne.

Miles of precast concrete perimeter Track Barriers will need to be installed, fastened together, and the catch fence on top.

Pits erected.

Oh yea...grandstands........SRT Mike wants to pour them into permanent concrete, but I hear you can rent them........

:D :D :D

No big deal.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Monaco has been doing it for decades, over the exact same route.

New Jersey.....umm...no.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #9 BigTex, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks again, as in the Austin thread, THIS is "what it takes"....the City has to be on board spending huge money.

And as you point out the public outcry and inconvenience is what doomed F1 in Phoenix years ago.
    They got mad about traffic disruption.....it takes months to prep for three days of racing.

10. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I'm not holding my breath. IMO it was a power play for Bernie and COTA. Nothing more.

Hope it happens. I'll be there and gladly eat crow.

11. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it they would still need to build a permanent garage structure and media center, and someone would need to purchase the real estate to do so.

12. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    I would love to see two USA races, and i think the backdrop of Manhattan would be great. I'll attend this race as well as the Austin race. Hopefully this thread reports the facts and positive information, and doesn't degrade into a "This race will fail because of my opinion of XXX" like the Austin thread did. Hopefully the Austin supporters will take the high ground and cheer for this race to happen as well.

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    hey, a USGP thread that i'm not sworn by confidentiality to avoid :)

I just don't get the NJ finances. No taxpayer money used, at least according to the press releases. And yet, PLENTY of road construction required ... plus other HUGE expenses. No other revenue sources throughout the year ... ???

Here's a glimpse of F1 circuit finances, including some real eye-openers about street circuit expenses :

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/56182.html

Anyone care to take a guess at what the finances in the proposed NJF1 business plan might look like, using the data from this referenced article?

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This GP will happen and I can't wait for it.

Bring on 2013.

15. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I sure am looking forward to it since I'm only about a 30 minute drive north of it.

16. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Well, it is IndyCar, which is hurting. Usually it's crickets.

OTOH, Baltimore was a sell out so if the organizer has to declare bankruptcy with a sell out crowd ...

17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    No way this isn't happening. :D ;)

But in all seriousness,... This is Bernie's wet dream. Money won't stall this project.

FWIW,... How about a poll! (seriously) :D

18. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    My money's on a resounding...."YES!"

IF and ONLY IF, they pay off the right people and employ the right unions...

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #19 GrigioGuy, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #20 texasmr2, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    COTA was too big a project, even for Texan standards. No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

GP of NY has a lot less $ involved. The real issue here is getting the permits. We had this situation before with the "London GP" and the "Rome GP", both failed projects.

But the fact that the Governor is already behind this, makes me a lot more optimistic. And in addition to the failed examples above, the NY GP isn't competing with an already existing GP in the country.

Add to that the non existant issue of logistics with hotels, restaurants, transportation and airports nearby plus the fact, that the teams can simply transport their gear from Montreal down the road and a NY GP is a shoe in.

Audience will also be guaranteed with this being a densely populated area of the US with lots of folks of European and South American background. The rest will come directly flown in from across the pond doing a little NY/US shopping.

Bottom line: Why didn't Bernie think of this ten years ago?

22. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Bless your heart. LOL

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    +1 but only to a point!

I think it will definitely happen but only for 3 years. By the time of the 4th year I can see the natives being fed up with the disruption that it causes to their lives and the event being cancelled.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, that's just part of the American tradition: Nothing here lasts more than a few years...

25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I think Disney might argue with you on that one, and that really is a Mickey Mouse operation! :D