Got Wok Hei? (鑊氣) | FerrariChat

Got Wok Hei? (鑊氣)

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by BubblesQuah, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Finally got back to a gas stove - and decided to step up my wok cooking a bit.

Starting with the heat - I purchased a device you place around your burner to direct the flame into one center cone. Called wokmon, it also comes with a grate top ring to hold your wok.

I purchased a carbon steel wok - 16" - round bottom.

These carbon steel wok need to be tempered/seasoned before using. After scrubbing the factory oil coating off, I tempered the wok before lightly coating it in oil.

Here are a few pictures - before, during and after the tempering and of the wokmon device.

Sorry, no food yet - this weekend will be my first use and I'll post up some food pictures.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

wax likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Subscribed! :)

Do you know how many BTU on your burner?

Where'd you get the wok from? I've been jonesing for a C-steel wok!

If you have an IR thermometer can you shoot some temps? I can get to ~ 500 - 600 F on my big CI wok, which IIRC is ~ 30,000 BTU on the "power" burner.

T

p.s. Those wok rings can sometimes change the combustion characteristics of your burner, so be careful about carbon monoxide and make sure to get a CO
    detector, if you do not already have one, nearby.

3. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    I'm not sure how many BTU's this burner is - I'll have to look up the model number and see if it says. The burner is about 4.5" in diameter.

It took about 90 seconds for it to get to this temp from cold just now. It is amazing how fast this thing absorbs the heat. I sliced up an onion earlier and stired it around. It is amazing how fast they started crusting over - maybe within 30 seconds. I'm excited to try some veggies this weekend.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  4. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    This is the one I bought. We will see how it holds up - seems good so far. It ain't light tho...lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171U1EII/

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^That's awesome! I was able to get > 700 F with an outside fire or wood and charcoal.
    It's impressive how much better it is, especially veggies, when you can get the temps really cranked.
    I am revising my Xmas wish list to Santa.
    Have fun and post up results when you can.
    T

6. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Hmm. Specs say this burner is 15,000 BTU....

https://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/JGSS66SELSS

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yeah, I did a little Googling after your post, and my memory was off by a factor of 2.
    I have a GE as well - Profile, 30" - the Power burner is quoted as 15 thousand BTUs.

Now I gotta get a carbon steel wok!

T

8. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    NbyNW, David_S, Dolcevita and 2 others like this.
  9. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
  10. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Verdict:. Was good, but not even close to spicy enough. A lot of "la" (numbing) from the Sichuan pepper, but pretty much no heat. Need to find a different recipe.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I hate to think how much Killians Red we drank in grad school. The bars across the street from chemistry at UF usually had specials on Killians. Many great - and some not so great - scientific advances were made over a pitcher of Killians Red!

The Kung Pao chicken looks great...T

12. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    NbyNW and tomc like this.
  13. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I've got a 15" Miele standalone 28K btu wok burner next to my Blue Star 48" cook top. The real reason I bought it (I'm Italian) is for boiling water, frying and for larger pans. Having all that horsepower really makes the wok sizzle and taste more genuine......

I love those dry fried green beans with the fermented bean paste and the pickled blossoms.....

tomc likes this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Stand alone as in just hook it up to nat gas or propane, and get cooking?

Something like this? Details! Pictures!

This thread is solidifying my Christmas wish list!

T

15. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    tomc likes this.
  16. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    Just wanted to give an update on the device I mentioned in the first post, the Wokmon.

The ring that concentrates the flame is the main function of it - but I noticed that the finish on the burner and the grate is taking a beating. You can see the finish on the grate is starting to bubble and the finish on the center of the burner has vanished - that black spot isn't grease, it is where the grey finish has gone away.

I'm going to ask the company about it - but I don't think I'm misusing it. Hopefully I can get a refund, but either way I'm not going to continue using it.

I'll run some tests on using the burner in its native state...

Image Unavailable, Please Login