Got to ride the BMW I inherited | FerrariChat

Got to ride the BMW I inherited

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BoulderFCar, May 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    After COVID delays for shipping I finally got to spend some time this week on a BMW R1200RT I more or less inherited from a friend who couldn't ride anymore due to balance issues. It's a 2010 with 3900 miles full bags, BMW tank bag and all that. I like it a lot. Simple. Plenty of power but not too much by any stretch. It's a joy to be able ride 60-70MPH on two lane road and not have the bike bucking or begging for a down shift like most of the flamethrowers I've owned. The best windshield set up I've ever used. The brakes are the best I've ever used. The rest is like the generation back bike it is. I'm moving it up to a cabin close to the Tail of Dragon area and I think it will be a great fit for cruising around up there. 6.6 gallons and 55MPG will be nice there too so I don't have to be so planfull for fuel stops. Fun to have a chill bike that's nicely made.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Nice bike. My wife and I went two up on this during an Edelweiss tour in Austria in 2011. Very capable and easy to ride on 5 consecutive days of mountain twisties. I had been a KTM 950 rider at that point but mostly for solo off road work. Had my wife been more into motorcycling I would have bought this BMW. Later I tried their K series but it was too Goldwing for me.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    How did it do with two? it seems like the power would be borderline but maybe it has enough torque. The more I play with the bike the more I think it’s just a really decent bike.

I can’t find the love for the K’s either or gold wings but I think they’re both good bikes. Just not for me.
    I’m having a trailer made for the RT so I only ride it on the fun roads. This from someone who rode a KZ1000 Kawasaki 950 miles. I’ve become a riding pansy.

5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    In our Edelweiss group all the bikes were BMW's and all variants of the 1200. We pre-ordered the RT because we were two up, most of the other were solo riders. Never a problem keeping up. I tended to ride up close to the trip leader who rode a GS (because that was the least requested model for the tour).

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Trailering a bike makes sense to me. I’ve never understood the attraction of riding a bike cross country. This is a big country. There’s a lot to ride through to get to where you want to ride. I’d rather be in the a/c and avoid bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. G8TD

G8TD Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've had my 2013 R1200RT since new. Great bike!

Any updates since you inherited the bike?

An Edelweiss tour is on my bucket list for sure.

Some buddies and I attended the Level I course by California Superbike School at LAS last year. Awesome learning experience on the S1000RR!

8. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great looking RT! Congratulations! The big update is that the bike and I moved to Asheville NC which I think has some of the best motorcycling there is. Lot's of 55-65° weather which to me is perfect for riding so I get out a couple of times week. The more I ride the RT the more I like it. I like the adequate power and anvil like reliability. I was riding a friends KTM 1190 and while brilliant I was always at 10-20% throttle. At least with the RT I can wind it out a little. I'm working on a plan to go to Alaska at the end of June, rent a GS and do some light touring.

Just got back from a 75 mile loop through some mountains. The bike is just sitting in the garage waiting for the next one.

Texas Forever and G8TD like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It's bad luck to have a neat garage.

BoulderFCar and Makuono like this.
  10. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks,....I think?
    My last garage was all cabinets and looked great but I ended up not liking the cabinets because I couldn't find stuff. Now I'm just going for clean, well trimmed and well lit.

G8TD and Texas Forever like this.
  11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Great bikes...

I have had two of Ducati's ST3/ST4 series, and while heavy, they are great long range bikes.

The more race oriented sport bikes (I also have a 996 and an 848, are far less comfortable, and while my 848 has a passenger seat and pegs, forget it!!

BoulderFCar likes this.