got my gtr | FerrariChat

got my gtr

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 95spiderman, Jun 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #1 95spiderman, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    im loving it so far. perfect as daily driving street car with all the convenience, comfort, features you could want esp when compared to my old gt3. do miss the porsche's sunroof though. cant wait till its got break in mileage so i can see about the performance and get it to watkins glen

need some advice about making look more like a track car and less like a gt car. i like the decals porsche and ferrari put on their track models. im thinking about a carbon fiber decal stripe down the middle of the hood, roof and rear of the car. maybe make the roof center section all carbon fiber too? mirrors? im sure many will say not to do it but i really want to do something so i would like some ideas. thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    imo, a "bubba" stripedown the middle of the hood/roof/rear belongs to muscle cars in the 80's. I know Ferrari does it on their Challenge cars, but still....

Making the center roof section all carbon fiber similar to the M3 will look nice. If it was my car, I would leave it as is though. As long as the car is fast, it doesn't need to look fast :)

3. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    Having a carbon fiber trunk lid looks pretty good. I have actually seen a GTR like that. It also had a carbon fiber hood. But what you really need to do to make it look fast, is give it a full roll cage.

4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its a leased car so i want to limit it to simple decals.

5. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    oh. well if it's leased, then that's a whole different story....

6. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    A roll-cage in a GT-R is just unnecessary added weight.

For decals, have you thought about the 3M di-noc carbon fiber wrap in areas such as the roof?

Question: Does Nissan's care if you take it to the track? I don't know the lease 'rules', but it would seem as if they wouldn't allow it since it's a lot more wear/maintainence and the chance of wrecking. :eek:

7. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Well the GT-R already weighs what, 6500 pounds? So an extra 50 pounds isn't a big deal. :p

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yes plan is to use that wrap. nothing specific about track use just cannot turn off vdc unless at parking speeds in snow. has a black box to monitor that and will void warrantee.

9. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Nissan now cant void the warrantee for turning VDC off (at any time). They got in some hot water for that.

10. stcloud

stcloud Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Enjoy it, the first 1000 miles are the worst :)

You will enjoy it tho, love mine

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #11 95spiderman, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
    Says in warantee book that they will void it if use vdc improperly. Too much to risk for me so i will just leave it on. I always wished my gt3 had it anyway so im good with it

12. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    IMHO I would not do anything to it since it is a lease vehicle.

13. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Yeah, its still in there but they have since changed policy. No sense in turning it off though, unless you need to.

14. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Did you get a good deal? The 2012's were just announced and are available per Nissan's website. Power is up to 530bhp and 480 lb tq. Other issues on the car were addressed as well.

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    good deal. sticker was 92 and i got it for 88. lease about 1400/month 3 yrs

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That is a great deal considering what they are going for out here. Enjoy it in good health.

17. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Now your ready to give Chuck Norris a ticket. :D

18. BorisSF

BorisSF Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago
    Loving the color combo. How's driving it compared to the other cars you've owned? Is it really like "driving a computer" as some people say?

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Only driving it easy during breakin period but so far i woul say its closer to my wifes panamera 4s than my old 997.1 gt3. It is just so comfortable. Chassis is so stiff and solid it just soaks up potholes yet has no body roll at all. They used to describe 1970s mercedes as bank vault solid. Gtr is new benchmark for me. Best suspension ive ever driven. Gt3 had best steering of any car but gtr steering is still good and suspension makes up for it. And awd will make it no contest next winter too

Braking better in gtr than the std non ceramics i had in gt3. Gt3 felt unstable even in straait line with nervous rear end. I might have had a lsd issue but never had it checked. Regardless, the gtr stops without drama and the pedal is extremely firm. Will have to see how they hold up to track days. This is the one car that should have ceramics

Not a big fan of turbos so i much prefer the gt3 scream machine motor. I have no patience for turbo lag. Hoping its better when i can keep it at high rpm but had situations in traffic where i want to change lane quickly and car doesnt move unless i stand on it. Suprisingly, the sound is better than i expected. Sounds better on startup than gt3 did. Dsc trans sounds very exotic too. Do not miss vt3 clutch at all

Does not seem like driving a computer at all but does come with great computer in it. Sony playstation center screen is fantastic and not a gimick at all. Will be huge asset on track to practice smooth steering input, threzhold braking, etc. Like having separate data analyzer that usually cost a lot and much more convenient

Overall, car is better than i expected and that doesnt even take power into consideration bc im keeping it under 4000. I can se where some would prefer gt3 for it raw race appeal but to spend 50% more for tt is crazy. For cost of a tt, thats about to be replaced i have an updated gtr and a xke jaguar plus enough $ left over for 3 yrs of track days

20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    sat in my friends a few weeks back. very cool car but it seemed awfully large. performance is undeniable though congrats i'm sure you'll have fun with her.

21. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul

You just hit a very interesting subject Re: GTR's. Nissan has probably the most hypocritical warranty of any modern car. If you take it to the track, it is noted on the GPS and it voids your warranty. Do they still do this or have they cleaned up their act? It seems Nissan will do (or would do) anything to deny a claim. Can anyone chime in with regards to how they handle warranties now?

The GTR is one incredible car, but to have Nissan get in the way of using the product in the way it was intended is silly.

To the OP: I hope that this does not hi-jack your thread. The GTR is bad to the bone. There is nothing subtle about this car to me. When I see one on the street I just want to pour all over it with my eyes.

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    not sure why nissan get bad rep on warantee and porsche gets a pass. on my 2007 gt3 owners book page 2 congratulated me on owning best track car in world and page 3 warned me taking on track can void warantee! plenty of complaint threads on porsche forums about denial warantee on defective lsd, coolant connections, etc. nissan booklet does not specifically warn against track use - just keep the vdc on. sounds ok to me.

23. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Wow, did not know that about Porsche...

24. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!

But seriously, how is it holding up?

25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i sold it in june 2011 but it was very reliable for 4 yrs daily driving and about 20 track days. did have a coolant hose come loose and spray all over the track one time. luckily no accident occurred and was fixed on warrantee.