Good home needed for large cache of fine woods | FerrariChat

Good home needed for large cache of fine woods

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by energy88, Dec 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    My late father's hobby was refinishing antique furniture. Over the years he accumulated a large cache of wood consisting of Walnut, Mahogany, Oak, etc. in the form of furniture parts including spindles, legs, columns, beams, drawer fronts, table tops, headboards, etc.; some pieces include intricate carvings and burrell inlays. These items could be repurposed for woodworking or building furniture. I would rather see this wood put to good use by a non-profit organization rather than sending it to the dump or using it for firewood.

The volume of wood is estimated to be about 1,602 cubic feet. In firewood metrics, this equals 7.8 cords. To transport, it will require a 26' U-Haul truck (1,611 cubic feet). I am looking for a party willing to come and pick up ALL the wood. The wood is located in Roanoke, VA and help can be available to load.

My intent is to place the wood with some type of vocational training or trade school where the organization could use the wood to teach and build furniture or produce items as a fund raiser. I've done a cursory internet search for an appropriate organization, but nothing stands out so far.

Any leads or suggestions to donate this wood to a worthy organization would be appreciated.

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    John,
    Have you tried contacting any local or partially local custom furniture businesses? It would be a shame to have quality wood stock go to waste, sadly I have not heard of any "wood working" classes in school's since the '70's (liability issues in our current "sue" society).

Best of luck.

3. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    It may be a crazy idea, but do any of the local correctional institutions work with wood?

4. LlotdP

LlotdP Rookie

Mar 26, 2014
    My Father made and repaired antique furniture. He passed in 1997 leaving a cache of lots of different kinds of old wood and furniture parts.

I looked through some of his issues of Fine Woodworking Magazine and contacted a woodworking guy not too far away. He came over and sent friends over. Some bought some special pieces for projects they work working on but I had to move it and one guy offered $500 for the whole lot. He came one day with a double axle U haul trailer and cleaned out the workshop.

I have no idea of the value, we needed to get the house cleared out for sale and didn't want to throw it away.

May be worth a try.

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Just to let everyone know that the giant wood cache finally found a good home, literally.

This morning, Habitat for Humanity hauled it off in a big truck. The supervisor felt some of the wood could be re-purposed for mantles and gingerbread trim. The rest will probably go to their ReStore where they sell excess donated building materials to the public. I am glad that the wood ended up going to a good cause.

Thanks to everyone here for their placement suggestions and PMs.

6. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    A worthwhile home indeed, and far preferable to the dump.