Getting ready to reproduce Dino Wheel Caps | FerrariChat

Getting ready to reproduce Dino Wheel Caps

Discussion in '206/246' started by rosemeyer, Mar 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    Guys,

As most of you know there are no accurate reproductions available of the Dino wheel center caps. What is available ranges from not bad to not even close. Please note that I am referring here to the caps that came on the standard 14" Dino 246 wheels (i.e lenticular plastic, yellow background, with the Dino script in dark blue outlined by a reverse embossed chrome border)

I am now preparing to have these pieces reproduced precisely and need the f-chat community's assistance.

I have looked my 4 caps and none is acceptable for making the mold. As with the door pocket project I am collaborating with Verell on, the master for the tool needs to be as perfect as possible since any flaws are transferred to the mold and subsequently to the parts themselves. If anyone has 1 center cap they could spare, please PM me. The part does not have to be new nor does the colour even have to be fully intact. The plastic itself, however, has to be unblemished.

Please note that in this case the part cannot be returned undamaged since the colour has to be stripped off in order to make the tool.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

2. outofpocket

outofpocket Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    GD
    Hopefully you will offer these for sale when reproduced.

3. PassTheSpanner

PassTheSpanner Karting

Nov 2, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Full Name:
    Steve
  4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Soon we will post detailed photos outlining what is wrong with the reproductions out there. If all you care about is that they are yellow and say Dino then this project is not for you. For the detailed oriented ones out there you will know that the current offerings just don't cut it.

5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Dumb question, but how are the originals attached...glued? And what is the best/safest way of removing them to install replacements so there's no damage to the trim ring?

I'm asking because I bought a set which turned out to be solid metal, so much heavier than originals. I'd be interested in accurate repros that are more `correct'.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Originals are just glued on. Heat them up with a heat gun or hair dryer and pry them off. There is no guarantee you won't break them or peel the colour off their back but all of the ones I've removed so far have come off clean.

7. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    Outofpocket, the idea behind this is to offer them for sale just like the door pocket project. Like that other item this is not intended as a money making venture, simply an effort to make available something the Dino community could use. I would like to collaborate with Verell on this one (unobtanium supply co.) and when the product is finished you will be able to just buy it from him.

HMB, in addition to the hair dryer trick I find that very thin fishing line or a strong dental floss works well for cap removal. Simply slip it behind the plastic and do as you would if you were flossing your teeth.

Kind Regards,
    Paul

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Does it matter what lb test fishing line? If dental floss, does mint work better?...;-)

So if they're just glued on, what kind of adhesive is used for replacements so they don't go flying off during a `spirited' run?

9. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    A couple of things: the curve (across the width) should be an even, convex curve. The SP ones are only curved at the edges - they are flat across the middle. I also think the colors are incorrect.

Ones with a metal backing, with a ridge around the outside, are also available, even from authorized Ferrari dealers. They also do not look right.

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #10 Nuvolari, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The recent posts regarding wheel center caps has re-kindled my attention to this project. It appears as though the only way to really make a perfect reproduction is to have a dedicated plastic injection mold made in the hopes that there will be enough interest to justify the expense. Because each car uses 4 pcs, making the caps using low volume methods would just be crazy expensive with individual caps easily costing over $100 each.

An injection mold ammortized over a few hundred pcs can bring the price to reasonable levels and hopefully allow for enough production to take Dino wheel caps off of the endangered species list. I am currently in contact with a specialized manufacturer who can not only make the caps but also finish them with the correct yellow, blue, and chrome to perfection.

Extensive research has shown that there were 2 style caps offered by Ferrari as new. There is no evidence to support which cap came with which model car and our best assumption is that there were either 2 tools or 2 manufacturers making these caps to slightly different standards. Most people would never catch the differences so below are some blown up images that outline the differences. Ignore the colours because they are affected by the camera. It is the shape that is important here.

I am currently inclined to make Style A and would like some feedback as to what your Dino has and if Style A or B is preferred. Again these are miniscule details that would not be seen unless pointed out but I do want some feedback before committing to a tool.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    #11 BB512 1980, Sep 19, 2011
  12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Pascal can you kindly show a photo of the Dino emblem as large as Rob's ?

Regards, Alberto

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #13 swift53, Sep 19, 2011
    These are three Dino emblems, that came with an L and an E.
    They are very similar in style, but not quite the finish, as there is
    a couple of years between the two and possibly different wear and tear.
    They are 95% equal, only the Cloisonne is slightly different, but in substance
    exactly the same. Two of them have " O.M.E.A. MILANO" on the backside,
    one, nothing. The only thing I am certain of, is that the E, came with the above letters on the back. The emblem for the L, came in a box.
    I am posting them on the vertical, as easier to follow the lines.

Should the wheel emblems be the same as the hood emblem?
    My guess is yes. Style A.

Regards, Alberto

14. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    Pascal,

Without you needing to enlarge your image I can point out the following variations to original of your caps:

1. The 'Dino' script is simply printed on the flat back of the disc rather than embossed so you lose the 3 dimensional effect of the 'dino' script when viewed from the front.

2. The silver outlining the Dino script is simply silver paint whereas on the originals it is chrome (likely a vaccum metalizing process)

3. They are not perfectly lenticular like the originals. they are rounded on the outer edges and then flat in the middle.

All of these differences are evident from Rob's photos.

One of the main problems obscuring what is correct for this part is that over the years the replacements which have been made available (including through Ferrari dealers) are not faithful reproductions of the original factory delivered articles. They are either way off like the metal and ceramic monstrosities which I have seen or are at least somewhat closer replicas like Pascal's. No one is doing them correctly.

If you are after correct replicas for any L or E series Dino (i.e non knock off cars and non C&F cars with the Campagnolos) the caps will have the following characteristics:

1. They will be clear plastic to which colour is then applied
    2. They will have an even lenticular profile when viewed from the side
    3. The outline of the Dino script is embossed and done in chrome

There will be subtle variances in the shades of certain colours and in the shape of the script but absent the above three characteristics the caps will not be correct. What we are looking to do is to produce the repros using the same process used for the originals in order to yield a perfect result.

Best Regards,
    Paul

15. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    Correction to the above. I intended to say M and E series Dinos when referring to the vehicles to which this fitment applies.

Best Regards,
    Paul

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #16 Nuvolari, Sep 19, 2011
    Here is an image of the 'lenticular' shape we keep talking about. All of the repros out there are flat with curved edges while the original ones follow a continuous arc when viewed from the side.

If you look at the reflection near the edge of Pascals photos, they indicate that his caps are indeed flat.

17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I would prefer style A

18. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Style A matches my original (71 Euro GT) badge as well as the NOS badge I bought recently.

19. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    #19 BB512 1980, Sep 20, 2011
    Alberto,

Even if I've taken 200 pics, among the at least 500 references I saw, I've not been able at the moment to take close pics of all the things.

I'm due to come back to Italy at the end of next week, or the week after.

And then will be able to take pics as asked and buying for people wanting me too.

However, here's a resize pic, and hope it will help.

20. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    Paul,

These caps are not mines and are 100% and fully original.

As are all the spare parts I will post on a dedicated topic that could be of any interest for everybody.

Best regards.
    Pascal.

21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Me too.

22. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I vote for style A as well so count me in Paul.

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Same for me Paul, 4 pieces.

Regards, Alberto

24. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #24 DinoLasse, Sep 20, 2011
    Paul,
    I vote the opposite, style B (never fails, sigh...). All four caps on my car, 05020, are of that design (photo below), and I believe they are original. Of course, one can never say 100% - I can only vouch for the last 17 years on my car. It is also matching the design on the steering wheel horn button (although it could have been replaced too).

Also, I think B is a better design. The rounder lines are more in agreement with the Dino lines. The inside lines of the "o" in style A is disturbing (now that you have pointed it out). Alternative A looks like it was done by a student who was still learning. Design B corrected the mistakes. My opinion.

Count me in for 4 to 10 pieces, depending on the price, if you decide to make them - regardless of which design you choose. Hope you will be able to make them - your efforts would be much appreciated.
    Lars

25. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    convinced, I change my mind to style B
    :)