Gearbox Oil in 365 | FerrariChat

Gearbox Oil in 365

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Davidindallas, Feb 4, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I've read several threads popular with the TR and 308 crowd recommending Redline 75W90 for the gearbox. My 365 GT4 calls for Shell spirax HD 90. No doubt this is old tech and god knows whether it could be found anyway. Is anyone using redline in a 365 or 400 in the gearbox or differential in place of the Shell?

2. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    We build right angle gear drives and have 1000s of hours test time on lubes. Although we have never run Redline we have run the Mobile shc 75-90. The Mobile Gear Synthetic 75-90 is very similar though they change the additives so that they (additives) will not have a negative reaction with the yellow metals that we all know as synchronizers. It sounds like I am promoting Mobile, but we recieve no funding from Mobile, they seem to have the best information and appear to have done the most research. Our testing seems to confirm their claims.You can purchase Mobile Gear Synthetic at most auto part stores. Don't know about the differential with the clutch pack for the limited slip. The closest to the Spirax would be just a Castrol 80/90 gear lube. Once a gain EP additives may attack your synchros so I wouldn't use them in the transmission. If they have EP they will say so on the label "80/90 EP" I will run the Mobile Gear in the box on my 365GT4 when I get it back (resto). I will say there is no comparison between the synthetic and the mineral oil. Different gearboxes same loads tested same time on the same stand mineral oil black and nasty Mobile synthetic clear units running under 200 degrees F so that the mineral oil is not running above recomended temps.
    Rick

3. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Did some checking mobil gear LS 75-90 is approved for limited slip diffs.

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    When I checked the diff in my recently purchased 400i, the oil was very clean but a very striking blue color. It is kind of an French racing blue color. Anyone know what brand / type oil this might be?
    Ken