Gearbox Chatter | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gearbox Chatter

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alex360S, May 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Agree with the royal purple but I also agree what was stated in the above post. Have it checked out by someone you trust.

R

2. wildkalabaw

wildkalabaw Karting

Jul 11, 2008
    Dealer service dept. said chatter is common and normal for 430/360 on low speed/decel/turning/backup, is it true? any of you 430 owners experience some form of chatter?

3. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What type of Royal Purple oil would be suitable for the 360?

4. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    There should be loads of longitudinal play on driveshafts. If the shaft were fixed at a certain length something would very quickly break! If you are sitting on level ground it should be possible to move the shaft left-right. The amount of movement and resistance would depend on how straight the shaft is sitting and whether the joints are fully packed with grease. If its really easy to move the shaft then the grease is low and this could cause a clonk when cornering as centrifugal force cause the shaft to move around. Had this on a Lotus Esprit once and re-packing the joints got rid of the clonks.

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I did preface my remarks by saying that it wasn't clear how the OP had measured his play. "Left to Right" or "Side to Side" is a different beast depending on whether you're standing at the back of the car, as against the side of the car, as against under the car!

I do agree that the dimensional distance between the tranny output and the rear hub is variable depending on the position of the suspension in its travel at any given time and that the drive shaft and hub assembly are built to accommodate that differential. I, personally, wouldn't describe that as play.

Regardless of the above, if there's a significant differential between one side and the other, as described above by the OP, I do feel that he has a problem that needs attention.

6. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I stand corrected. I wasn't clear in my comment. The play that I am talking about is lateral and not side to side. I have a lift in my garage and have access from underneath so I am swaying the shaft from the inner to outer cv joint. Like I said before, the driver's side is quite hard to move but the passenger side moves quite easily. I've added an additional 0.5% of additive and drive it around for awhile and see what happens. I will definitely investigate the potential grease problem in the joint. The cv boots are not torn and in excellent shape. Is re-packing the joint with grease an easy DIY project? Anyone have any insight on how to proceed?

7. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I think you would be better to ignore the axial float on the driveshafts as this is a diversion from the original issue and might not be a problem at all. The LS diff clutch chatter was related to the oil and so should go away once the additive starts working. As someone mentioned already, its going to take a while for the additive to get distributed and get into the the diff friction plate area.

8. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for the reply. I agree to wait for the modifier to take effect. I'm still curious on how to go about re-packing a cv joint with grease.

9. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
  10. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Took the car out today and she ran amazingly. No more chatter + very smooth ride due to a new pair of Micheline PS2's in the rear. The friction modifier really did the job on the chatter. Thanks to all that put their 2 cents and helped me out, this is what makes this forum such a wonderfull place for learning. I could have run to the dealer at the first sign if trouble but my passion for the marque and for learning is what keeps me on Fchat with you guys solving as many problems as I could myself before resorting to running to the dealer. I believe that most of the time I have what it takes to solve these issues as well or if not better than the dealer. At the same time I hope that my experiences could help someone else out with the same or similar issues.

Thanks All,

Alex

11. wildkalabaw

wildkalabaw Karting

Jul 11, 2008
    Congratulations on the issue resolved. So how much total FM did you use?
    Also, is it OK to add Redline FM to a factory recommended shell gear oil in an F1 F430?

12. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I ended up adding 3% of FM which is approx. 105 ml. I believe the Shell gear oil already has around 5%FM/volume. Why would you want to add more? I'm not sure if the Redline FM is compatible with the Shell oil. Call the tech. Dept. at Redline, they will answer all your questions gladly as they did for me.

13. sv211nautique

sv211nautique Rookie

Jan 12, 2010
    Maine
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Noise in the gear box is never good
    I just had to replace my gear box in the 360 FONE did a great job in getting it back up and running cant thank them enough for the great job they did
    It's not a cheap fix believe me
    Any noise stop driving and take it in before it's too late

14. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Are you guys removing the under tray and bumper to add the friction modifier in small increments? Seems like a ton of work to get the percentage of FM correct?