Gearbox Chatter | FerrariChat

Gearbox Chatter

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alex360S, May 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Changed gearbox oil in my 360 for the 2nd time in two years with Redline 75W90NS as most suggest here. First year all is well with no chatter at all, but tbis year the gearbox started to chatter while cornering at low speeds and extensive chatter while turning and backing up. I've added the suggested 1.5% of friction modifier= 1.75 ounces in the 360 and took it out for a ride but still no improvement. I also took it to a parking lot where I was able to back up with wheel fully turned fromone side and then to the next. The chatter was horrible and the sounds coming from the gearbox were scary. Do I have to be patient to let the modifiers get between the LSD plates, increase the amount if additive or should I completely change to another type of oil? I never had these issues until I decided to change to Redline 75W90NS. Please any input would be much appreciated. I really do not feel comfortable leaving the car this way .

Thanks,

Alex

2. Flatlander

Flatlander Karting

Aug 21, 2008
    Middle of nowhere.
    Full Name:
    Rich Struck
    I'm no mechanic but if my car was making noise like that I'd stop driving it immediately. Someone can correct me but noise from the gearbox is never a good thing.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I am not a mechanic... but I can tell you, we sell a crap-ton of 360 gearbox syncros and gear sets.

I would advise you stop driving and have a professional look at it.

4. bill.jones

bill.jones Karting

May 29, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Jones
    Could possibly be the drive shaft constant velocity joints rattling. This happened to my 360 and was resolved by inspecting and repacking the CV joints.

Good luck

5. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    The thing is , when we are driving noises seem to come from places that they are not coming from. I had a buzz coming from my 355 I thought it was from the rear of the car between the fire wall and the negine area, it was actually coming from under the dash board and was a simple screw vibratind. Best to take to a mechanic and let them have a listen.

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Try switching back to the original gear oil you were using first, and see what that does.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Have to agree with the others that there's a high risk of more damage with more use when "bad noises" are coming from the gearbox, but I just wanted to pass on that I had the exact same experience in my TR -- tried the Redline 75W90NS, but the LS clutch chatter was terrible; added their friction modifier = no change; went to a different "with additive" gear oil (Royal Purple MAXGEAR) = no chatter. If your noise is only LSD chatter, I'd try a different gear oil before resorting to more significant measures (but only you can gauge/determine if the noise is only LSD chatter) -- JMO.

8. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Sounds like diff, not gearbox. You're running a great oil and even added the FM so I'd say you've done the right things. What you are hearing is the differential chattering as it tries to compensate for differing wheel speeds/distance traveled. I wouldn't say you are in any imminent danger. I'd do another oil change and see if the LSD gets happy again. If not, you should have someone look at that differential.

Rick

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    good suggestion, one problem with the 360 F1 is that diff issues can cause the TCU to drop the box into neutral. Most 360's tend to get tail happy and contact a curb or two and depending upon the impact it'll cause trouble with the diff down the line.

I'd get the gearbox looked at by a shop to rule out any other potential issues.

10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Redline says 4% friction-modifier with NS, so keep increasing the dosage little at a time until you get to 4% and see if the chatter stops at some point.

11. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You should have the side bearings checked on the ring and pinion spool. It will exhibit a chattering, grinding noise, only on tight turns, most pronounced and audible when you are going at a slow rate of speed, such as tight turns in a parking lot. Over the years, we have probably replace several dozen bearing assemblies on 360's, a common problem.
    Gary Bobileff

12. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What would be a confirmation that it really is only chatter? It only makes a slight shudder or chatter on a sharp turn from stop or from a slight curve on deceleration. the most significant chatter is from completely turned steering wheel and backing up. I have already added a 1.5% mix of additive but with not much improvement. I spoke with Dave at Redline and he said that chatter on the 360 gearbox with the 75W90NS is not expected. He told me to add an extra 1% max. He also said that with these gearboxes there is a trade-off to be made, too much additive and the syncros will crunch, not enough and risk of chatter is possible. He also said that the chatter is not dangerous to the gearbox, true or not true?

13. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The standard Redline gear oil has 5% additive. Why would they make us go through the trouble of fooling around the mixtures? Who confirmed that %mix? I read through the forums that 1.5%-2% was the max allowable level.

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I can only say that my symptom was a loud moaning/groaning when making a sharp turn from a stop.

I believe that that's true from a physical sense, but the noise I was suffering from was so annoying/embarrassing that it was just flat unacceptable IMO.

15. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Mine is more like a jerk and knock. Is that considered chatter?

16. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    sell immediately......... buy 328

17. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    When i change the differential oil in my truck it takes 500 to 800 miles or so for the red line friction modifier to work. My differential bucks for a split second while at highway speeds when coming on and off the gas and it makes an awful grinding sound while turning at low speeds (like at drive thru). Somehow the modifier does it's magic eventually.

If this was happening in a 360 that i owned though I'd get it looked into instead of taking the chance of real damage.

18. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    NS gear oils have no friction modifier since race cars don't care about low speed chatter. The only thing they use friction modifier for is to fine tune lockup. I don't know why you're using NS, but since you've got it and the friction modifier already you might as well give it a shot. 4% is off the Redline site. Just increase in small increments up to 4%. If it's still there at that point, use a different fluid if you think the diff is fine. What were you using before this?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=41&pcid=4

Recommended Dosage:
    Use 4% for prevention of limited slip chatter in broken-in units (typical one 4 oz. bottle) or 4 to 8% for the break-in of new differentials.

19. Kinks360

Kinks360 Rookie

May 2, 2010
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Kink
    I would pull the filter screen in the diff. and check for debris first.

20. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Added another 1% of friction modifier today but was unable to try the car. Taking a look at my half shafts and noticed that the play from side to side on the passenger side is much more and easier to move than the driver side one. Is that normal? How much play should there be?

21. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1.

I would stop messing around with the redline and switch back to royal purple or the factory fill or whatever you used prior.......see if there is any difference.
    You will either see the difference immediately ......or not.

22. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Last spring I changed both inboard boots on my 355 and did not notice any play of any kind.....can't speak for the 360 though.
    Hopefully someone else can advise on the 360.

23. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Finally got test drive the car after adding 1% more additive and there is a definite improvement. No more chatter while taking off from a stop and turning. The only slight chatter that I experience now is while decelerating to very low RPM's and turning. I also still have some chatter while backing up and turning. Since I'm only ditive at 2.5% additive , I wonder if I should add another 1% to try and eliminate the chatter completely?

24. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'd be inclined to add slowly. It may take a while to work it's way through the system and take effect and you could find yourself overshooting the mark.

25. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Alex, I've only noticed this post of yours now. I'm not sure what way you've measured play but I'd be very surprised if there is supposed to be any play "side to side". You also mentioned that there's much less play on the other side and that is also a clear warning to me that something is not as it should be. I've had a wee look at the WSM and haven't managed to identify any acceptable level of tolerance.

I suspect that you need to have this examined by a professional at this stage.

Best of luck.