Gaming PC | FerrariChat

Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Technology' started by frefan, Apr 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Just ordered an Origin PC Genesis as a supplement to my xbox360 and playstation gaming consoles. This is for my dedicated driving simulator setup.

Got the major item, being the video card, went for the NVidia GTX 680.

Whats the consensus on the processor? From what I've heard the Ivy Bridge is as good or better than the newer Sandy Bridge-E. My guess is it'll be quite a few years before racing games can take advantage of hexcore, and the whole setup will be obsolete by then anyway?

Not really excited about overclocking, unless I'm missing something.

2. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very nice. I just build one myself, 3.3ghz i5 2500k overclocked to 4.3ghz and a GTX 560 Ti. I'm really happy with it, only about $800 and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. Mainly built it for FSX though, I did put F1 2011 on it and it's far superior to the xbox version. FSX is very very CPU heavy so I overclocked it for that reason.

3. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    What are you doing for cooling?

I'm running their frostbyte liquid cooling. Not sure what to expect with the 680. Plus the 1kw power supply runs a little cooler.

4. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Nothing really, my case has 2 fans, top and front, the video card fan and then I have a cooler master 212 on the cpu. The vid card can get fairly hot, but not hot enough to have me worried. Max was about 80 degrees and normally I don't get anywhere close to that, I could probably rework the airflow, but I just havent done it.

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    80 degrees on the GPU sounds nominal

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    http://www.originpc.com/genesis-pro-desktop-specs.asp (my case)
    http://www.originpc.com/genesis-pro-x2-desktop-specs.asp

Having a look at the Origin site now. I have that Corsair case :D Looks like it's made for overclocking going by the specs.

It's now easier than ever to overclock. You don't have to worry about jumper settings and you can do the O/C in the o/s don't even need to go into the bios. I have a good 1Ghz free from o/c but some of the newer CPU's you can get 2ghz+ You will notice the difference.

No point buying a highend custom PC and leaving it on factory specs might as well buy a no-brand system and the money you save you can put towards more RAM, SSD's or a faster CPU.

With regards to CPU... Hard call at the moment... :) It really depends on how often you upgrade your PC. If you do it every 3 years or so it's probably better to stick with Ivy Bridge but if you like replacing stuff more often then look at Sandy Bridge-E.

If you are only playing racing games on the PC then you wont have to worry. Rfactor 2 does look good tho :)

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    now you're pushing my buttons, I agree

so at what point does oc matter? Its my understanding its all in the GPU, and the asus motherboard can run 3-way SLI. thats a lot of power, no?

8. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm thinkin I need two 680 graphics cards. They're just so badasss

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What resolution monitors are you running? 680 GPU will be more than enough with a single monitor, even the 2560x1600 Dell's/Apples.

8gb ram @2000mhz
    680 GPU, if you're running 2 or more monitors on intense games, get 2 in SLI
    i7 2600k @ 5.5 ghz with liquid cooling
    good mobo, the ASUS one is ridiculously good
    120gb SSD, install your windows 64 bit on there and your games
    1tb HDD for movies/pictures etc

That'll be a very decent setup. Will cost you some coin, but more than capable for the next 3 years.

10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I can run up to 2560x1600 using the latest pioneer/sharp elite kuro but my current pc only supports 1920x1080 at the moment, and that already looks pretty darn good.

I went for the 120GB SSD drive and added the second 680 in dual SLI just for the hell of it. Thanks for the advice

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Nice.

2560x1600 is absolutely amazing. Depends on the game, some don't accept much higher than 1920x1080.

With your second 680 you'll be good for the next few years. You won't have a single issue with lag, even in the most extreme gaming situations. Your cards will be begging for more!

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My budget PC with a E5700 which I built in a hurry runs a stable overclock at 3.8ghz. My first clock, with no help. Also on the stock fan. Computer runs 24/7. I've had it on 4.1ghz for a while but in intense situations it would get too hot and it would BSOD.

With your CPU, I'm assuming 3770, and your watercooling, you can run an easy 5 ghz stable overclock. it will improve gaming even more...

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I hope its the 3770K, Origin is just getting the ivy bridge processors. Although they say that in reality I probably won't notice any difference in actual gaming between the ivy bridge and sandybridge-e processors, since gaming is not very CPU intensive, but more GPU intensive. So that's why I added the 2nd GPU.

If for some reason its not the 3770k it will be the 2700k which is still an unlocked quadcore and will allow overclocking to 5.2 GHz. But I wonder if I'll have cooling issues at that point. I'm going to set it right on top of the air conditioning register ;)

My display is Kuro 70" so I really want a system to take advantage of all its capabilities.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Nice! My best friend has the 2600K, overclocked to 4.5 ghz with an $25 fan. 2700K is almost the same I believe.

As you say, GPU performance is where it's at! The 680s are the sex!

15. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've got my 2500k oc'd to 4.5ghz now, I'm seeing a max of about 70 degrees during a stress test. 5.2ghz may get pretty ht though, that's really pushing it.