Fusebox board condition | FerrariChat

Fusebox board condition

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 4heid, Sep 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I am moving through the TR to chase some electrical gremlins. I just popped open the fusebox board and here is what it looks like. It appears as if someone drizzled maple syrup throughout and it hardened. There arent any big burned areas but its clearly delaminating. Any thoughts on whether this has any life in it and is possibly the reason I am chasing my tail?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The "brown" stuff is aged flux residue from the soldering process, and it's not really delaminating as it was never laminated (it's more a construction of multiple stacked flexible circuit board layers that are joined at the solder joints where a terminal post passes thru). Any "burned" areas on the male pins where the white connectors attach would be bad, but I'd call yours typical-looking (and the female terminal in the white connectors would usually also be badly "burned" if a male tab is burned). If you search on "white connectors" in the TR section you'll get a boatload of prior threads.

3. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks steve, no burns or melting on the connectors.
    The only area with any noticeable discoloring, and its very light, is on the slot for the engine fans.

4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Look for cold joints, they'll appear white/oxidized instead of glossy and over time can become the source of an issue especially with a stacked up design like this one.

At 30k miles, mine had multiple repairs performed, several burned white connector terminals, and many cold joints that were mechanically weak at best. If you can afford it, just have it replaced with the GT carparts solution. Thats where mine is right now. It is by far the best option and should save you a lot of time and hassle later on.

5. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Also install the inline relays for the two radiator fans and condenser fan
    It will keep the high amperage off the board

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    if you pursue the GT carparts option then there is no need. It is a modern eight layer board with adequate traces to handle the load.

7. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I hope you are correct
    I know of very few automotive non relay applications than can handle two 25 amp starting draws for an extended period of time

turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  8. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Clyde do you have more info on the inline relay modification?

9. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I did mine years ago it’s a straight line mod for the 2 fans and the condenser fan
    Very similar to the mod you do for the starter ( you have done that I hope)
    You just use the leads from the fuse board and splice in the relays to the associated fans
    That’s it
    I wish I could be of more help I am 70 years old and my foot is killing me or else I would go down stairs and take pictures of my mod
    I might have some more information for you on this later in the week so stay tuned

10. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is the basic layout for any relay installation
    This is what I used
    The pump is the fan for your application
    You just need long leads to put the relays out of the way
    I put mine in the forward well by the battery box