Formula One Video Game | FerrariChat

Formula One Video Game

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Cavallini, Nov 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I realize this should be in the Racing forum but I feel the subject is broad enough for general input.

F1 doesn't need cars with less HP and tech tools. They need to advertise and promote the complexity of these marvelous machines and the teams that put them together.

A new video game or a very enhanced version of the current offerings could do this, if it offered the gamer all of the options and challenges available to today's F1: from the airplane-cockpit like steering wheels, to the tires, to the arguments with engineers over car set-ups, and even arguments with owners....Enzo Ferrari anyone?

Obviously, this won't deter Bernie and the other F1 honchos from there changes but it would improve F1's image.

Your thoughts,

Cavallini

2. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I agree that it would be a very cool game if someone were to get into it and spend time on the nuances of car setup.

Unfortunately the attention span of most people would mean that it would have a limited amount of appeal. Most people want to be able to sit down and race in an arcade style setting in a few minutes.

My favorite games are GPL, Superbike 2001, and the EA Sports F1 games. There are things about the settings that even years later I am still learning in GPL. GPL and Superbike 2k1 were not super successful games, but that does not mean they are not fun, but they are probably about as technical as is commercially viable, IMO.

A new version of GPL, with improved graphics and provisions for the rudimentary aerodynamics used soon after the original's setting would kick butt, however.

3. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Grandprix 4 by Geoff Crammond. It is the ultimate in Formula one game. It is the only game for me now and I tried hundreds before. The handling is super best in all games. And the technology you mentioned is there. Everthing is adjustable then test...go see link below
    http://www.grandprixgames.com/

4. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

I suppose my follow up question then is, how much publicity does F1 put behind this and similar games, especially in growing markets like Asia, the US and the Middle East? Do they promote the drivers in the games the way other sports promote individual stars?

FWIW, are there NASCAR games, and if so, how popular are they?

Forza,

Cavallini

5. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

They use the same soundclip that I downloaded a year ago. It's from a 1994 Ferrari, one of the last V12's they used in F1.

Music to the ears.

Forza,

Cavallini

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Steve's absolutely right. You can cram all the whistles, buzzers and bells you want into a game, but sometimes too much is, well, too much. As in the real world, F1 is a niche market as far as video games are concerned. I'm still waiting for that GPL update that's been rumored for years. Unfortunately, since the game only involves intricate car set-up, incredible tracks and difficult racing it doesn't get the attention it should. Probably because it doesn't have features like:

Nose-mounted guns to eliminate those pesky back markers who won't let you by,

Bonus points for plowing through spectators and rival crew members,

Making drug deals to finance your team,and

The post-race party where you get to beat and rape the grid girls.

7. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Unfortunately true.

Forza,

Cavallini

8. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    What about best steering wheel to play one of these games with? I have the old UBI Soft F1 (awesome) but haven't played it in about 3 years. Needles to say I no longer have my wheel. I'd thought about getting the MOMO Force feedback wheel a couple of years ago and starting to play again but couldn't bring myself to shell out the $200 on it. (Instead I got an extra 15hp out of my own car :) with the money)

So, advice if I wanted to get back into it?

9. eschoendorff

eschoendorff Rookie

Apr 12, 2004
    I agree bigtime, like the others. I am using an older Microsoft force-feedback wheel, but I would not recommend it to anyone. For a game like Grandprix 4, you really need a decent wheel setup.
    -Ed

10. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Steve B. and Jack, have you gone to any of the GPL support sites that allow you to download new tracks, updated graphics, sounds, car sets, newer cars with aero, etc.? You can completely upgrade GPL to your heart's content. Type "Grand Prix Legends" into Google and enjoy! I agree, GPL will keep you learning for years.

11. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    Are there any F1 games for the Xbox?

12. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

There are about 250 add-on tracks for GPL. A few are as good or better than the originals. I really enjoy Oulton and the long Le Mans circuit for the add-ons. I haven't had time to load them all into my new computer. The great thing about GPL is how easy it has been for people to add to the game. In ten years it will still be popular, assuming GPL2.0 never materializes. It is interesting to try some of the historic old tracks that no longer exist, you really can appreciate the danger in those days. I didn't know that you could add aero effects, I'll have to check that out.

Now, if someone could ever figure out how to add tracks to Superbike 2001 and alter the physics of the bikes, not just the skins, we'd have another cool game that could evolve from the original.

13. viper11885

viper11885 Karting

Nov 1, 2003

Check out the Papyrus Nascar series. The latest one, 2003 is awesome. You pretty much get full control on the car's setup. Gameplay is awesome and so as the visual and audio effects. A great game. Steering wheel is a must.

14. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    #14 patpong, Nov 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here it is my F1 driving simulator, Grandprix 4. with Saitek R4 force wheel, seven speakers surround sound, Corbeau racing seat, no helmet require...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Agree with Viper that Papy's Nascar 2003 racing sim is a good one. It is the only racing sim on my computer other than GPL. Notice I didn't use the word "game". Crank up the competitors strength to 100% and get humiliated. Steve B., I saw on one of the download sites that newer cars with wings can be used. I just assumed areo would be included but I may be wrong and that it is only a cosmetic upgrade. My current favorite GPL add-on is Laguna Seca 1995. I also read some time ago that you can only add so many tracks to the orig. program before it becomes unstable. Somewhere around 64 maybe?