Fontana To Be Converted to Half-mile Short Track | FerrariChat

Fontana To Be Converted to Half-mile Short Track

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it actually makes perfect sense.

1.5-2.0 mile tracks are incredibly boring for NASCAR

they're huge facilities that either have massive, empty grandstands or no grandstands and they look like test tracks.

half mile tracks are far more suited to NASCAR and will have vastly reduced capacity (sellouts!)

Inland Empire has never been a good draw for IndyCar so no need to have a track suited to them.

the other option for NASCAR would be to convert this race to another contrived "roval" track like Charlotte. personally I'm all for a half mile track ;)

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, they're going to sacrifice the whole track which is busy practically every weekend
    with club races and events in order to host a single NASCAR race per year that, likewise
    no one will attend?

Makes absolutely no sense.

Me thinks something else is at play there. Seeing how the entire area was a wasteland
    before construction of the facility in the late 90s and is now developed end to end, the
    track will get tilled under to make room for factories and warehouses.

BHW

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well this is gonna suck for those of us who have raced this track. It is a fun track taking T1 and T2 then diving into the infield...balls of steel on the ROVAL when able to take cars up to 160mph+. Now where are we going to ring out our cars to triple digits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if you look at the site plan in that link, there's a way to keep the road course. I'd imagine the old track will be kept in place, a la Texas World Speedway, and used only as a roval; the new half mile track will be oval only.

plus there's Thermal, Chuckwalla, Spring Mountain, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow...