488 - First service question | FerrariChat

488 First service question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by OldDog, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    My 488 Spider was returned recently from it's first annual service. The car was delivered new in April of 2019 and due to some schedule difficulties I only made one real trip in it (to the Florida Keys) last year and then left the country for almost six months. So it only had a little over 1000 miles on it when it went out for service.

When it came back I noticed the service statement had on it 2 oil filter cartridges, a handful of gaskets and 2 pollen filters. I had been told (by a salesman now gone) that all fluids were changed every year on the seven year service program. I asked about that and was told by the transport driver this was no longer the policy but rather they looked at the usage. He said that the oil had not been changed this time but would be next service regardless of the milage. Everything else would depend upon usage.

I believe that modern synthetic oils are still “like new” after only 1000 miles (and did like that they changed filters on an engine that has just gone though break-in). So I guess I am OK with that. I also know that on another car that I track, brake fluid is good for no more than 2 months because it attracts moisture. But I don't track the Ferrari so maybe that's also OK. I doubt I ever will get the brakes really hot but I also don't know if moisture and corrosion are an issue with modern Ferrari brakes.

Still, it seems a deal should be a deal. Or was that not the deal? What has been your experience? Any comments or suggestions?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    it's the first time I heard this. Annual service means annual service which should include oil and filter change at the least. These are not Porsches, of course they don't rack up miles easily.

Plus don't blindly trust dealer service.

3. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    If you call the service mgr, he will likely echo the same since it was already done so, I would just call FNA and ask them. I've had multiple Ferrari's since 2014 and each one had fluids changed (in addition to other items) and some under 1k miles which was documented on the service statements. I don't believe that since its only been 1000 miles, they didn't change it. Sounds fishy..

4. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I agree.....If the car sat idle or ran the Autobahn every day for a year, its still due to have a full annual service. Nowhere does it say "partial service" or an "almost complete annual service"...
    I look forward to hearing from others!!! BTW....the 488 is a beautiful car!!

5. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I am yet to see anything different from any car manufacturer when dealing with service.

It will be X Kms Or X Time.

You fail to do that and there is an issue it will be your big problem.

You should get a page in what was done. If its missing an oil change and 6 months latter you have an issue its the dealerships problem.

Just keep your records.

Down under here we have a way different situation I dare say

Here’s the thing. Australian Consumer Law says products (including cars) have to be reasonably durable. Meaning, after considering the nature of the product and the price, they have to meet the durability expectations of a reasonable consumer.

And for a car, surely that means something in the seven- to 10-year term, and probably up to 160,000 or even 200,000 kilometres. That’s legislated, and the car industry cannot limit those legislated rights with a warranty. That would be illegal >>

I know it holds with ordinary cars but I wonder if this would be the case with an Exotic , expensive car such as the Ferrari

7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    ok. Just read the thread for the new policy for the oil change. I am actually quite unpleasantly surprised to learn about it. My cars had oil change at every annual service.

It seems like Ferrari found another way to save costs. I guess that's what a public company must do. The allure of Ferrari really is fading away day by day.

If I were only 5'10", I kid you not, I would have bought that HP spider and learn to love the automatic pops.

Ash Patel likes this.
  8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    My service needed message came up last week, was kind of surprised since car went into service 8/6/19 so still a couple months short of a year. I had know about this new policy through this thread so questioned when I dropped and service advisor assured oil would be change as car had a little over 2,500 and when I made the appointment he said it came up for oil change. I told him if anything changed let me know as I was waiting there for it to be done. So two hours later he comes to get me to tell me it's all set, I ask so got oil change? He goes "No, when we scanned it computer said not needed, I went off on the guy. Then argued with service manager which lead to GM. One of my complaints is I think they rolled back miles before I bought car so what they are seeing may not be correct mileage. On Ferrari owner App it shows car was in there in Nov 2019 with 700 miles and shows it in there for sale in January 2020 with 245 miles. I bought in February and car had that 245 miles and that is what Odometer showed. Then when I received the title it had that 700 miles. I had read about dealerships rolling back mileage a couple years ago but assured me it was just a mistake they made putting in that incorrect 700 miles. He then said how about we split the cost of oil change? Was not happy but just wanted it done. So when service manager came to tell me it's done I hopped in and drove it home and paid nothing. Felt they should not have used the free oil change, which they specifically told me when we were negotiating when the change happened before I bought the car. What they told me the new policy is you need to put 12k miles on to get the oil change. Will be back in a lambo before it needs next change. Oh and if anyone is curious of what oil change cost it was $623, which I guess isnt terrible but it was the point

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My dealer said that it was introduced on 2019 cars. Anything prior will have annual oil change. Well lets see as i have it serviced this month. FYI they did change the oil on the first service in 2019 , its a 488 GTB 2018 model

10. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I was told it's not an algorithm, car needs 12k miles since last oil change. I don't mind a hassle to save $623

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    ANY Ferrari from 2/2019 on is on the 7 year predictive maintenance , which is an algorithm of miles driven, fuel consumed, and time elapsed.
    The details are listed in the owners manual.
    It sounds to me like the Sales department was speaking for the Service department and got it wrong.

The part that is interesting to me if I am reading your post correctly is that they told you the oil was NOT changed, but parts were billed out as if it was... SMH

Annual service means what the manufacturer says it is , not what the internet wants it to be... Though I can agree it is confusing, what constitutes an annual service?
    ALL fluids and ALL filters? Oil Change and Brake Flush? Oil Change and all filters? What about wipers? Etc... as if the power warranty options were not hard enough to keep up with , the GMS program that started in 2012 and went through a few different " service window " variations just settled down and most everyone got it. Now, we have predictive, that to be 100% honest, there is no way to know what is going to be performed until A. The green wrench shows up on the display B. The car is physically connected to the DEIS C. The results are loaded into MODIS .... THEN and only then can the shop actually know what is going to be performed at any given visit. SMH... I get why there is so much misinformation out there about what needs to be done and when. Together we can work through it and everyone needs to keep their records straight ;-)

....Don't blindly trust internet post from those making assumptions either... maybe trust but verify < wink >

Actually it is an algorithm , as noted above, AND what the scan is says is due, is what a Dealership is authorized to do. I PROMISE , the Dealership WANTS to do as much as possible to make it worth while to have the car in the shop, regardless who is paying... scanning the car in and being told , check for codes, make adjustments, and ship car doesn't pay much.. LOL

Its interesting how opinions change over the years... Ferrari charges too much for service..... " my car is rarely driven I don't need all that " , to FREE service , to FREE service as long as you do it on time each year, to free as long as you have it serviced within a window of time each year, to a larger window of time each year, to now... ok fine, we will do less service , but only when the car says it needs it... hard to keep up!

Only thing more frustrating is when a Ferrari comes in with the light on, after 12 months, and nothing loads into MODIS... THEN what is supposed to happen?

S

13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    ^^^^ This !

S

14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015

That dealer is absolutely pathetic. Good that you let them know. Rolled back miles!? WTF!?

15. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    My biggest gripe is sales guy told me I wont to have to pay for an oil change for seven years. They should know what they are talking about but as usual never do. I will just have to be satisfied I got this one free. I would think a a good dealer would be willing to compromise, like maybe they charge you exactly what it costs and they make no profit off it?

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #16 IloveGT, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    I can't wait you say the same thing to the mirror when you are the owner. You are only providing defense to this pathetic policy because you work service at the dealer. Don't mind paying for the service, heck, what is a $1k a year when the car is 300k, and I have purchased all the extended warranty available for the two current Ferraris. What I am not happy about is how the company can change things after the customers have already have purchased the cars under different perceptions.

Buddy, you go to Pep boys or Jiffy Lubes and ask what an annual service entails. I bet the answer is oil and filter change. The general public likely have the same perception.

You are biased. Yes you are right, we should not trust anything internet says, like in your case

scott61 likes this.
  17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Any lawyer in the house!?

18. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    And i like how they are trying to cover their tracks. I use the MyFerrari owners app and this is what it showed for service history the other day. Car 10-17-19 shows 1127 KM, then on 2-17-20 398 KM. Luckily I had screen shot that and saved because shortly after telling them I think they rolled back miles they made that 10-17-19 disappear to show only 2-17-20

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    This is odometer fraud.

You should talk to the lawyer and file official complaint about this. How stupid do people think we are just because we are with money?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/odometer-fraud

20. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    They are giving me a story that when the customer, who is was one of their biggest, called about trading it in for an 812 they asked mileage and he said 700 without ever actually looking at car and they used that number on paperwork. They showed that to me and I took a picture which had them very nervous since it has his name. I told them I would be putting it every where and I think that is why they were ok with me just driving out and not paying a cent for oil change

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    pants on fire. They can explain all they want. Plus, I can help but notice the dealers love to say "it's one of their VIP or biggest client" followed by x, y, z, as if it add anything of validity to the arguments.

22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I have a 2019 488GTB.

I looked in the owners Warranty and Service Book under Maintenance Schedule and for the 7 year Service Pan it states that the oil will be changes, oil filter changed, pollen filter replaced, scheduled checks and labor...EVERY 12 months or 12,500 miles WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

So if you take your Ferrari to the dealer at 12,500 miles or 12 months whichever applies to your car...the oil has to be changed along with the oil filter.

It is plainly written in the Ferrari manual. It is utter BS for a service department to say the car doesn't need it or what ever....if it has been a year or 12k miles the oil gets changed...end of story.

If the dealer service department gives you grief then you should call Ferrari North America if you are in the USA or whichever Ferrari office of your country and get this handled.

23. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    It's Ferrari that made this change and Dealership is not happy about the change. That is why I figure the least they should do is not profit from oil change and just charge the couple hundred it cost them

24. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    They said this is very new and have only had a couple cars so far under this change and that the owners didn't complain. Guess they figure if service says oil change not needed they don't care. Seems that is problem, no one is letting Ferrari know that this is unacceptable

25. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I just bought my 488 in December and nothing about Ferrari making this change that 7 year paid service program is not doing oil changes per the maintenance manual. I just called my sales guy, 25 years at the dealership and not your typical sales guy but a real Ferrari guy and he checked and nothing they have heard either. I will directly call my service department when they open back up to double check.

There is NO WAY oil in a performance car is good for over a year in its protection qualities. that is facts from everything I have ever read from leading oil companies. 12,500 miles or 1 year is pushing it to me but I will only have my car for 3-4 years max. I always like to think going into a new car I will keep it forever or many many years but that has never been the case for the 35 years I have been buying cars.