Finally my display cabinets are done! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Finally my display cabinets are done!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bigodino, Apr 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks! Progress is slow. That's because the recovery of what seems to be a severe cold is slow as well. Still managed to find some energy to unbox a few models. The F1 display is done. The top part is almost exclusively Exoto except for the HW 312 T2. Current prices for an Exoto T2 are too high for me.

Pedro, I found the 205 T16 :)

I had one shelf open in the rally car display so I put in the three iconic supercars of my youth (late seventies, early eighties). They're the 512BB, Countach and 911 Turbo.

The stack of boxed models with the police Subaru on top are cars with a personal connection. For example the first Ferrari I ever sat in, or first drive, or ownership.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It's looking great Peter, keep going!!

3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Nice Minichamps 1994 F1 Ferrari. Quite rare now.
    I remember buying both driver versions of those when they were new.
    Seems like it was only yesterday.

4. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    AAAH !! My OCD kicked straight into overdrive when I saw the shelves that had cars pointing in different directions!

Joking aside - that is a lovely set-up.

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Peter, love the sports Ferraris..that's my thing...amazing colection you have gathered, i'm always searching for thi sthread to see more....i hope soon enough it will be my turn..you have so many cars i also have, love to see them displayed!

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Looking forward to your thread about your collection one day. I'm a huge sports racer fan too. I completed the cabinet except for the Scuderia Ferrari transporter by CMC. And I've reserved a shelf for two GMP 512Ms. The cabinet with street vs competion version is coming along as well. I think most of the work will be done this weekend.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sonicsound likes this.
  7. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I'm almost done with filling the display. I've added the Ferrari supercars and 250 GT lineage (from 250 GT Europa to 250 LM). The collection will probably never be complete. I've got some projects on the shelf (i.e. upgrading a 250 GTO '64 by Guilloy) and still waiting for that perfect F40 LM. But that's the fun of collecting and messing with models.

NürScud, Rosey and Sonicsound like this.
  8. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Peter. A great thread and a fantastic collection. I love the quirkiness of the driver running into the wall who appears in lots of your photos. Is this his final resting place?

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Tou have most of the models i own and it's great so see them displayed! I love what youd is buing two cars of the same model (although diferent versions) to display one open and one closed...i thought about it, but couldn't afford to do it.
    Is your 512s from looksmart? maybe you could pick also one from elite to display open together with the closed one...same with the 333sp.
    I'm really happy for you, you spent a lot on those models, and i like all you themes, enjoy them, that's a really nice collection, congrats.

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks Robert. The driver figurine doesn't have a big enough base so it will fall over on its own. I thought it funny to pose it this way until I find a solution. :) Same goes for Jacky Ickx who has no base at all. They're great figurines, but posing them is a bit of a problem.

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the kind words Pedro. I'm really happy how my "man cave" is turning out. I have one corner reserved for a permanent set up of my Xbox system with racing wheel and chair. I also have room for a few more display ideas. So watch this space! :)

My 512S is made by CMR. I think it's slightly better shaped than the Looksmart (which I've inspected in real life). It seems to me that the canopy on the Looksmart is a bit too flat. The HW 512S suffered from the same fault but even more pronounced.

What I also noticed is that the 275 GTB by CMR compares quite well with the BBR version. The narrower headlight pods aren't that much narrower than on the BBR or real thing. I think I could upgrade it a bit but for now it doesn't bother me at all.

12. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    A man of taste.. Anyone that has a Defender amongst Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc gets my vote...

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    :cool: I think I could easily fill another room if I would buy scale models of every car that I like. The Defender will be part of a rally car diorama. It's still in police livery but that will change.

doyler likes this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Peter, you have an amazing collection. Thanks for sharing. The cabinets are beyond cool!

15. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Amazing collection!

Sharknose likes this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    camon peter get it done..whana see the european university BB next to his brother...

17. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Wow, this room is now a museum. Love it.

18. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Soft spot for the group B section ! Nice....:)

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Update on my car room: I've added another tall display as well as two other IKEA cabinets.

One is the classic Bertby wall mounted display which I will fill with cars of personal interest. Right now they are my current Porsche 911, my ex 308 GTB, a 195 Inter Ghia which I had the priviledge of making a roadtrip with, a 348 TS (first Ferrari I ever drove) and a black Testarossa (first Ferrari I ever sat in). To be added are the first car I ever owned (BMW 518) and my first hobby car (Subaru WRX).

The room is now complete with a desk for working on models and a permanent set up for my XBOX360 game console with steering wheel. I've replaced the race seat that came with it with a beach chair. Much more comfortable than the original seat which I think was sized for kids or something.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Behind the seat is a dress boy with press tabards, Ferrari bags, hats and so on.

The lower cabinets are mostly filled with DVDs and hobby material on one side and 1:18 scale military models on the other.
    On top of the lower cabinets is a custom display I made myself years ago. In it is a 1:16 scale Ferrari 312 B3B by Polistil. This is the very first Ferrari model that was given to me by my mother when I was about five or six years old, somewhere in 1975 or 1976. Even back then I realised this was something special and so I never really played with it hence it's in mint condition. Needless to say this car will never leave my collection!

I've moved the rally collection to the new tall display, freeing up one existing display. I will move the Group 5 and Group C cars to this empty display, making room for more Ferrari models :)

Speaking of which, I've added a BBR 500 Superfast to my collection. Very beautiful car, amazing colour!
    I will hang some framed pictures and a painting on the walls. I'm sure this room will never be complete and that's fine! :)

Best, Peter

Sharknose likes this.
  20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Your getting some expensive goodies!! good for you! ;)

21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks Pedro. Yes, I've caved in and bought some expensive BBRs recently. But not at the high prices they were advertised for originally. And also because my wish list has shrunk a lot.

22. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm assuming you removed all your BBR and other high end resin cars from their display bases in order to display them in the new cases? I haven't yet removed any of mine just yet.. but was it difficult to do?