Finally my display cabinets are done! | FerrariChat

Finally my display cabinets are done!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bigodino, Apr 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Two years ago we sold our home and last year bought one which we are renovating. All my models are still in boxes, but I finally managed to finish my new display cabinets and can't wait to unpack the models!

These are five IKEA Billy bookcases which I've modified a bit. The rear panels are replaced by translucent white panels. I've put LED strips on the back of the cases (I still need to tidy up the cables on top of the cases). This will be a dedicated room for my hobby so I didn't really go too far with trying to make the cabinets dust free. I used clear plastic panels as front covers. They're held in place by small clips for easy removal.

I'll post some more pics when all the models are on display.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mang, Auraraptor, F1Database and 12 others like this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Loks very nice, filling them will be so rewarding..can't wait to see them complete!

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Very nice!!!!

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Looks very nice although kind of deep. All these new 1/12th models are taking up a lot of shelf space :)

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Looks very nice!! I'm interested to see how the lighting looks when you have models displayed.

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks all! The shelves are not that deep: 28 centimeters. And I don't have 1:12 models, so that shouldn't be a problem. The F1 model you see in some of the pictures is 1:6 though. It's an RC model and would take up one shelf all by itself :)
    Besides the LED strips I also have two ceiling LED spots. Turns out they're not positioned well enough to light up all cabinets equally. So I'll probably add some lights on the top of each cabinet. A bit like this:
    [​IMG]

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Well done. Very cool.

8. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Looks great.

9. Bianco Ferrari

Jun 29, 2017
    Cool. What scale? Did you use magnets to hold the front panels? I think painting them white or something would help with hiding them.

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I collect predominantly 1:18 scale models. I can fit three models side by side on one shelf if I put them at a small angle. The black clips are paper clips like this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    White ones are available, but at such a premium that I decided to go with the regular black ones. So far it doesn't bother me and I could always paint them white later. I did order some white magnetic tape to hold the top edges of the clear panels in place.

I just finished filling one cabinet with models. It will take some time to get them all filled. As soon as that's done I'll post up some pictures. So far the back lighting with the LED strips works very well.

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Can't wait to see those pics...always love to see full collections rather than just one model!

12. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    Come on. get them filled. Don't keep us waiting !!! lol

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I'm just as eager! :D

Okay so I took some pictures. I'm unpacking all boxes first as much as possible. All cabinets will have a theme. The one that I've filled has a rally theme as you'll notice. There is some Ferrari content if you look closely ;)

Other themes are:

- group 5
    - group C
    - vintage Ferrari
    - modern Ferrari
    - Ferrari street version vs race version
    - Ferrari 'open' vs 'sealed' (see example of my two Sharknoses)
    - F1

and so on.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

koisokok, Manda racing and Dino2400 like this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    You're plenty of good stuff!! looks like a candy store! :)

15. PAT30

PAT30 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  16. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Camon peetr +post those pictures!!! and get yourself a 205 t16!

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I think I've come down with the flu today so no energy to unpack the models. But I did get some work done the last few days. 205 T16 is somewhere in the boxes :)

One cabinet will hold vintage Ferraris on the top shelves, like the BBR 340 MM. Below that modern Ferraris (Like the LaFerrari). And below that Group 5 and Group C cars. These will include a couple of BBLMs and the Lancia LC2 with Ferrari V8.

The other cabinet is for Ferrari F1 cars. Most of them will be displayed as shown: one with bodywork on and one with all the parts off. I've added some figurines from Lemans Miniatures. One fifties driver is butting his head against the wall! The other is Jacky Ickx, resting on the floor. The grid girl is very nice too. I bet Gilles can't keep his eyes off of her :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Great to see the progress. Looking good!

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Looking great, you have some great models..that t4 with gilles and the Umbrella is worth a ton of money these days!!!

Rosey likes this.
  21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks! Fortunately I bought it when it first came out and paid 130 Euro. It isn't going anywhere because I think it's very cool looking. One day I'm going to make some stands for the upper body part.

22. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm watching this thread. Please continue with he updates.
    Thank you.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  23. Bianco Ferrari

Jun 29, 2017
    Some nice pieces you have there! I'm looking forward to see what other BBR goodies you have.

24. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I was looking forward to a long weekend because of King's Day yesterday and get some work done. But unfortunately I'm still too weak to do anything meaningful. And a lot of these models take some time to unpack. Don't worry though, I'll update this thread as soon as possible.

25. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Wow! Very cool- looks great!