FIA and teams agree on hybrid engines from 2010 on | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FIA and teams agree on hybrid engines from 2010 on

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Far Out, Sep 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I would agree with that.

If this means however that F1 cars would get their starter motors back, then I'm all for it. I always found it silly, that these cars can't even start on their own. It would also add a little bit to the racing as a stranded car could get restarted on its own.

2. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Now lets buy some more cranes and everyone can be Hamilton :D

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Especially since they now have essentially an automatic transmission...now if they had a real gearbox and no starter that would be a driver test once you had entered an otherwise recoverable spin!

Do I not recall Villneueva once deliberatly doing a power bootleg turn in an escape run at Montreal years ago so as not to lose qualifying time with a pushback and restart?

Ferarri flat 12, IIRC?

4. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

When someone pops in about Kyoto, without even attempting to explain why the US--which was an early supporter--turned into opposition, then you know that the PC police have arrived and all the fun is gone.

F-1 is about $MONEY$. Follow the money and you will find the action point. Let the Greens start their own series. As for the rest of us, let's burn the hell out of fossil fuels. Internal combustion and proud of it!

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    There was probably a "chat room" barber shop back in the day when cars first came out. The popular opinion may have went like this;
    As compared to horses they were slower, less reliable, more expensive, made more noise, didn't reproduce, yada, yada, yada.

Luckily some nitwits continued to tinker with them or the prancing horse you root for on weekends would need hay and oats for internal combustion.

The world is changing along with the cars.
    Lets have some of the brightest engineers work on this instead of figuring ways to produce even more noise per liter of fuel burned.

6. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Ummm, i guess most of you over looked the part where it said:"675hp from a V8 engine, additional 80hp from brake energy "

Not only that but i haven't seen one thread about the reduction in drag, as well as the possibility of going back to slicks and MAYBE, rear diffuser's...

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Today almost all engines are gas powered that are used in cars.

If Max wants F1 to be the pinnacle of technology, surely he would want to stick with gas. Some years ago it was going to be Electric that took over from gas. Then it was going to be Hydrogen. Then it's hybrid. It will probably chang again in a few years. Why not stick with what the manufacturers are doing NOW and what they are developing NOW rather than Max trying to push them in the direction HE sees fit?

I think Max is a liberal hippie weenie at heart. He is a small man who likes to feel that he can boss people around. He didn't quit his job at the FIA not because "his work as not done" but rather because he couldn't bear to give up his position of being able to dictate terms to large companies that he could never have risen to the top of by himself. He chased Michelin out of F1, he regularly takes personal shots at McLaren and generally seems to take pleasure in being an utter jerk to most of the big whigs in the racing world. It's got to be some authority/power-trip complex he's got going on.

He says in his letter that the parts of the cars that are unseen should be standardized. He wants greener cars and wants less money to be spent.

Why not leave F1 to it's own devices and make a NEW series. He can make it the green racing series. Electrics/hybrids, all sorts of lightweight stuff, fully covered wheels (for better aero), give points for least fuel used for the race, regenerative braking, solar power or whatever else. Make a spec chassis available and spec tires and ECU in THAT series and encourage companies like Kia and Hyundai and GM and Ford and Toyota who are trying to increase the green-ness of their cars compete. Enact a cap of how much a team can spend - maybe no more than $50mm a year total budget or whatever he wants. But let F1 *BE* F1. Let it be high tech and expensive. I dont want to watch frickin wind powered cars going around a circuit, I want high power, high grip open wheel single man sports cars that are the fastest, quickest and best handling. And I would like to see some passing on the track - like 40 or 50 passes FOR POSITION each race!

The sooner Max dies in a ethanol-Prius-refueling (helped by his cheap polyester suit) fire, the better.

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

What would be wrong about using a diesel engine in F1? If a diesel can be made to wail on existing gas engines, WTF not?

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    First off Diesel doesn't excite me. I get associations of trucks and industrial machines with it. Maybe because I drove trucks for a while, maybe because I ride a Diesel powered bus to work. I can't stand the smell of Diesel (in my trucker days all my clothes and I stunk of it for weeks) unlike fuel, which I could sniff forever <lalaa laaal laaal aaaalaaalaaa>.:)

Second have you ever watched the Diesel powered Audis winning at Le Mans? Could you hear them? One of the great spectacles and wow factor F1 has when seen live is the piercing sound of those engines. F1 is a spectacle that overpowers all your senses. A Diesel Audi doesn't do that. Neither physically nor emotionally.

10. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    A very good idea.

11. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    I completely agree with you about F1 overpowering all senses, but diesels wouldn't be completely horrible. It definatly wouldn't be as loud as F1, but I'd much rather have diesel power than hybrid.

12. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    My personal preference is for high-RPM, lightweight octane internal combustion piston engines. Without Max Mosley supervising the dyno settings, thank you. Not for the noise, not for the tradition. Simply because that is the best solution for the job at hand.

And in answer to (another) above apology for Max stating that everything will be OK because they will be V8s with 685hp, I say this:

Actually, the scary part of the proposal is that somebody wants to DICTATE the 685 hp and 80 hp auxiliary. In the olden days, we specified a certain CID capacity, or a fuel formula, or an overall weight and size formula. Then the engineers did their best and produced the finest engine possible.

So far in the real world, that engine turns out to be gasoline multi-cylinder pistons with high RPM - for cars that need to accelerate fast, brake hard, and make sudden turns and maneuvers.

Jet planes, ships at sea, railroad locomotives, and fork-lift trucks have different missions in life, and may require different prime movers.

I just don't want to see the real physics of Formula One manipulated with phony penalty rules out of some fleeting political purpose.

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Very well summarized and said!!!!

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa