FF problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FF problem

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by rfelberbaum, May 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Thanks guys, I guess I never have trusted gas gauges in any car, not just the FF. Way too much can go wrong.

The dealer and Ferrari certainly should have put a priority on fixing it though.

All the best of luck getting it going again. The FF is WAY too much fun and cool to be just sitting torn apart.

Rick

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Take the refund and start over with a new FF. This kind of stuff can happen with any car, from a base Hyundai to a top of the line RR. The problem is probably really simple, but finding it is not. From the symptoms you describe I can tell you with absolute certainty it is not the fuel filters (I think there's two).

3. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Thanks guys. So how is this for a question: since reordering a new ff will take at least 7-8 months, shouldn't they refund my money now so I can pay off my auto loan? Why would I have to continue to make the payments and wait so long?

See my point. They will actually give me a hard time since they've yet to stand up and do the right thing. Remember. This is a brand new 2014 model year car.

Sorry for all the questions it's just a very peculiar situation and I respect your opinions.

4. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Not a lawyer but if they buy back your car, you get the cash immediately to do what you want with it.

5. StephUK

StephUK Rookie

Feb 12, 2013
    Not a lawyer but my understanding is they buy back your car, not replace it with a new one.
    They haven't been particularly nice, you shouldn't either! You should get your money back and pay off your loan.

Might be worth contacting the loan company/read fine print as you:
    - Might not be able to sell the car (including buy back?) before having fully repaid the loan?
    - Incur penalties (for early repayment) you might want Ferrari to compensate you for?
    - Better continue to pay and finish early on new car?

6. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Mysteriously today I'm told the car will probably be ready tomrrow. I was also told, quite by accident, that the part I've been waiting for month from Italy for has still not arrived, yet they managed to repair the car. Did they use parts from the many ffs sitting there who knows?

I told them today, in writing that I insist on a full refund as allowed by the lemon law here, whatever that is. I told them I no longer want this car under any circumstance.

Now let's see how long it takes for them to step up and do the right thing.

Thanks for all of your opinions and insights guys

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you want the money and not the car then I would get the advice of a lawyer who specializes in this area before you accept the car. I don't know how your acceptance of the car changes your standing.

8. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Agreed. No way I accept this car back. Thanks

9. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    Explicitly reserve your rights in call communications.

10. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    sorry to hear about your frustrations around this

Did you find out what the actual problem was? It would obviously be good to know (and share here). Seems like the fuel pump swap was "let's change it and see if it fixes it", but apparently they were able to diagnose and correct it?

As stated, your Lemon Law eligibility may or may not apply here, especially if it' now fixed. However, aside from this one issue, and assuming it's fixed, and you liked the car to start with...if it's fixed, why not keep it? You lost a month of use, ask for some relative compensation (i.e. one month's payment and insurance, a written statement if it recurs again what they will do, etc).

True story - our dealer accidentally cracked our windshield. They were more upset than me, and it took weeks to get a new windshield from Italy. We missed the car, but they took care of us (a nice loaner) and we rolled with the punches on it. Aggravating? absolutely. However, it was fixed, same car we loved and are still driving.

Doing a warranty/lemon law appeal may feed your frustration now, but that's a complex mess of you vs. FNA, the dealer, etc etc. More time, more hassle, less enjoyment.

Just a thought

11. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Actually at this point it is still not fixed so I don't know the specifics.

We researched and I am entitled to the refund under Florida lemon law even if fixed since I'm out the car now going on 40 days.

If the car was properly addressed a few weeks ago I'd agree and accept the repaired car and move on. I do love it. But this experience is not over and Ferrari did nothing until I got the attorneys involved. Now they "want to make me happy" .

The car also now has a resale issue in that I'd have to disclose this to any buyer. I'm not sure id want to buy a 400k used car with even a single issue.

12. StephUK

StephUK Rookie

Feb 12, 2013
    Hi,

I suspect it all depends when you plan to sell it.

If you plan to sell it relatively soon, yes it would be an issue. I wouldn't buy a car that had a "major" (or at least lengthy to fix) issue in the last 6 months, as I would suspect there is more to it than that and you are in an hurry to get rid of the problem/car.

Would I discard a car that had a fuel pomp problem, fixed under warranty 2 years ago and not reoccurred since: no.

If you like the car, and as mentioned can get a written confirmation from NFA that if the issue (or other related issue - fuel line problem) occurs in the next 12 or 24 months NFA agrees to buy back the car at today's value (for example) no question asked I would do it.

Obviously they are now in a position where they want to "make you happy" (nothing to do with attorney contacting them or any publicity that might damage the brand of course), so I would make sure "I'm happy"...

13. ferrari169

ferrari169 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Northeast USA
    From my experience, Lemon Law is not as easy and quick as one might think. In fact, it's a long, drawn out tedious process. Car manufacturers do not want to buy back cars, no matter how slam dunk your case may look on the surface.

14. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Today I picked up my refund check from my Dealer. Ferrari refunded my full purchase price, less a minimal amount for usage. My dealer, Ft. Lauderdale Ferrari was terrific throughout this ordeal. Ferrari, although non responsive at first, stepped up and did the right thing I believe.

It was a bitter sweet moment though. Picking up my check and license plate was, Not nearly as much fun as when I specced out and picked up my FF. I am sure I will be a Ferrari customer soon .

Headed to Goodwood in a few weeks to order a Wraith. It is no Ferrari but it is a great car. I'll be back soon I think. Surely I will miss that sound>>>>>>

Thanks guys. My case was definitely very unique. The FF is an absolutely flawless and amazing car. Just gotta clear my head for a while.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Good for you. These are luxury cars. One of the parts of that experience is having the mothership behind you.

16. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Glad it worked out for you. I know the owner (Garret) and he is a stand up guy.

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Umm...what?

I can't believe this thread...a $400,000 car with this issue...stops running...takes weeks of repair/waiting...ends with a LEMON LAW refund and this comment from the owner?

Seriously?

I will say that this was a big financial win for you most likely...the depr hit on a used $400,000 sticker FF is HUGE. So, maybe getting back your money less a nominal usage amount is a win!

Its amazing the crap owners put up with from this brand (I sound like the Mayor)...but this thread and that last post takes the cake.

18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Sorry to hear of your problem however I thought I would relay this story , several years ago a good friend of mine ordered and received his first ferrari a F430 it was a 2006 he had an issue with the car and after several tries with the dealer FOW it was in and out of the shop maybe 4 or 5 times , the dealer said we cannot figure out what is wrong and FNA will take the car back they pulled one in production and 2 weeks later he had a new 430 no hassles very smooth transaction and it was FNAs offer..
    He is still a loyal Ferrari customer

19. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Not sure what you mean Arizona. I'm very happy with the result here. I'm merely relaying my experience. I don't consider this a win simply a fair end result under the circumstances. Ferrari did not offer a new car other than through the normal wait and build time which did not interest me. I am aware that had I kept the car 10 months under normal circumstances the car would have depreciated close to 100k. In that regard, yes, I did very well.

Am I missing something?

20. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Oh I see you highlighted my statement hat the FF is an amazing and flawless car. You left out the rest of the story. You must work for a politician in his press room or for Fox News!

21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

I did read the whole story and that quote was, at the time of my post, your final word on the subject. My point was, again, you go thru all that crap and still sum up with that statement...you can't see the irony in that?

22. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    It seems to me that the person who actually had the experience has the credibility to call how he views it.

23. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    At the end of the day, I still feel the FF has no equal. I attribute the problem my car had as a very unique situation so it does not impact me against Ferrari or the FF. That is what I meant about the FF being flawless.

It is a machine. I've never driven or experienced such a wonderful and useful car as the FF.

Thanks guys!

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thank you for sharing your FF experience here!
    CH

25. RASHI 36

RASHI 36 Rookie

Jul 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Zuckerman
    i live on the east coast,and will not name my dealer,but here goes ...

i purchsed a 2013 FF in middle of February..told dealer to keep the car in the showroom for a month because of all the terrible potholes ..picked up the vehicle on march 25th and put on 1700 miles....was enjoying the car and just getting use to all the bells and whistles..

told the dealer that i had a front wheel vibration and was probably a balance issue..it was ,and gave him the vehicle on april 15...on april 22,dealer called and said upon a road test,the dealer's driver "HIT A GUARD RAIL", to which there has been over 50,000 of damage to my new car....car is still being repaired ....i have asked for a new vehicle ,to which all parties have been radio silent on this matter...

the likely will be they will patch up my 350k car and say enjoy...has anyone experienced something like this?