FF problem | FerrariChat

FF problem

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by rfelberbaum, May 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    7000 on my 2014 FF. Love the car.

First big issue however. Can ran out of gas on a highway despite 41 miles left on reserve. Filled up and drove off. The following day the car sputtered at low speeds, ultimately stalling at every light. Brought to dealer and was told it was my fault that it was allowed to go so low. IN addition, they charged me 150 bucks to remove an air pocket caused by the gas issue. Ok im good right? Next week same issue, even worse. car will now be in shop a few days but clearly they have no handle on this. any ideas guys??

seems almost comical that this would cause such a big issue in a modern 400k car.

2. Acei

Acei Rookie

Jan 3, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Ken Simpson
    There's something else wrong. That couldn't be caused by low gas in a modern car. It's obviously a fuel delivery issue and could be a number of things.

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Back in the day, when something like this happened the bet would be on some dirt in the gas that resided in the bottom of your fuel tank until it got sucked up through the fuel pump when the fuel level got very low. We would check the fuel filter and replace it to be sure. Nowadays, who knows? But it is still possible that this is what happened.

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Most likely...

SV

5. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I would defer to a modern F-car technician, but...

1) likely some crud is in the filters and/or even the pumps
    2) there are multiple pumps - in the tanks (low pressure) and within the injection (high pressure). chances are you still have air in the system.
    3) a long shot, you could have run a pump dry and overcooked it, though I think that would trigger a fuel pump alarm, or a fuel pressure (low or high) code.

I ran my F430C dry once, we had persistent issues the rest of the day until the guys could "burp and bleed" the system.

good luck, please share what they find. Unclear if your "running dry with 41 miles of range" is a related issue....the computers are never that accurate, but I believe (?) that the car has a low fuel mode that puts the engine into limp mode and then shutdown when it detects low fuel pressure. I think that's as much to prevent the engine running over lean as much as the "you're out of gas, pal" warning.

6. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    To date the FF remains in the dealer for over 30 days. They have been unable to repair this car. Replacement fuel pumps have been on the way from Italy for weeks. Not one response or contact from the manufacturer. The dealer has been great but they are limited by what the manufacturer tells them.

I now know this car qualifies as a "lemon" but not sure what to do. What would you guys do?

I don't have a stable this is my DD.

7. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I and sure I will get shelled for this but as much as I like my Ferrari I would never have one as my only car.

8. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I would move forward with the lemon law and get the dealer to buy back the car. They are unable to fix it and the longer you are without a car the worse it will get.

You have full rights for this buyback. Maybe the dealer has a car on the floor that you want once they buy back your car under the lemon law which I am not 100% sure is not the current market price but maybe what you paid for the car. Check with a lawyer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

9. herenow

herenow Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2014
    US of A
    Wow! Left my FF in the garage with reserve fuel light on.... won't be back to drive it for 3 weeks, hope it won't happen to me!

Good luck and keep us posted!

10. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    This is completely unacceptable. However, it is also probably something minor (albeit annoying) and it would be a shame if it caused you to part with this car -- with the proper attention this can probably be easily cured.

Have you tried to get in touch directly with Ferrari of North America (I'm assuming you are in the U.S., but forgive me if that is not true) and with Ferrari in Italy?

If not, I would write each of them a formal letter (addressed to the chief executive officer), delivered by express courier, explaining clearly the situation and emphasizing that it is not getting resolved, that there has been no communication and requesting an immediate response. Before you give up on the car, you need to make sure that the right people within the company are aware of the problem and give them a chance to intervene.

I would do that before getting a lawyer involved.

Good luck

11. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Lemon laws vary by state but not sure this qualifies. Typically it takes several problems or several reoccurrences of the same problem and repeated attempts to fix it. I agree with patekswiss in that u should reach out to FNA to formally complain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You should definitely get in touch with FNA. I would avoid using the word "Lemon" until you have exhausted all your options.

13. Argyle armada

Argyle armada Rookie

Jan 6, 2013
    I suspect FNA would be very responsive. I mentioned after a dealer survey about their road side assistance not willing to jump a battery and I had 3 phone calls from people from Ferrari and then an apology for the guy that runs the Road Side assistance company.

14. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    Not my experience in the UK.

I was called by Maranello post my FF's first annual service for feedback. The service was bad, zero description of what took them a week and a half to do under warranty, no follow up explanation call, no details on the invoice etc etc.

The factory didn't call back, despite a strident undertaking to make inquiries and do so.

Surprised?

No.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It seems its a hit or miss thing with Ferrari. My thought is at least explore what FNA will do and go from there.

16. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    I finally got a call from the FNA rep who I'm told can make deals and decisions in these type of cases. Nice gentleman for sure.

Many apologies and he did seem sincere. However, the missing part (fuel pump) is still not here. Further, according to what I am aware of, they are not even sure if that will fix the issue since the fuel pimp computer readings were normal. They are replacing the pumps because there is nothing else they can think of for now.

I am really not sure what I should do. I am entitled to a lemon law refund since the car is in the shop over 30 days and counting.

Take refund and start over? allow the interior to be put back together by the service guys in Florida? the entire interior is removed to access the fuel pumps. I have a really bad taste in my mouth over this. Did they finally contact me because I sent attorneys letters?
    really annoying situation.

what would you guys do?

17. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I'm not familiar with your lemon law... What happens, they buy car back and you get full refund? And then you have to order another? May not be bad... You can change any options now with a second chance...and get carplay. :). Or pick up a used 12 model for like 230-250k?

Sorry to read about your troubles, good luck! Glad FNA is helping you out now.

18. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Just my experience with non Ferrari's when the interior is "taken apart" the rattles that you never heard before will be there. I would have them just buy it back and start over. Why worry yourself with all of this.

Based on your recent post: A: They can not tell you when they will have fuel pump in stock to try.

B: they have admitted they have no idea if that will fix the problem.

Let's make an assumption if the fuel pump does not fix it then what another month or two trying to figure out what is needed?

Look at it this way you have now paid a month of insurance on a car you can not drive that Ferrari has no idea when the part will arrive and if that is the fix.

take your money and start over. I would do that if that happened to any of the 3 Ferraris I have owned.

Just a common sense point of view.

19. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    If you have the choice, exchange the car for a new one.

I'd do it in the blink of an eye. These cars are for driving, not sitting in a workshop.

20. dgfhdfgh

dgfhdfgh Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    +1 on the exchange with a new one. Your experience will always be compromised even if they manage to locate the fault.

Also, I've never seen an interior go back in the way it it came out; it is simply impossible not to mar something as assembly processes in Maranello are based on the glass being off the body, special protection of parts, etc.

An owner that uses their FF everyday is a customer that should continue doing just that with pride, not excuses.

21. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    the problem with ordering a new one is the long wait after I spec the car. I do not want a standard FF or any car for that matter. I like the process of personalization but the 7 month wait is sort of ridiculous to go through at this point.

I think I am going to insist on a refund (less whatever the lemon law requires for usage) and then see what to do.

I do agree, this car will be forever marred with this issue. Not to mention this issue will affect resale and disclosures down the road. This should not be my problem on a brand new car at this price.

The dealer asked if I would take "the next F12" regardless of the specs. I said yes, and offered to pay any sticker price difference.. Ferrari said no way. The dealer was shocked at that response from Ferrari.
    So essentially they want me to accept the repaired car whenever that may be, or reorder another FF ands wait for it. I'm not feeling the love or any respect whatsoever to be honest.

22. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I probably should stay out of this one ... Yes, Ferrari should get the problem fixed. When they assemble the cars they are out of gas and somehow they get them all to run good. However, having the low fuel idiot light come on scares the hell out of me! Mine was on last year once in my FF and I somewhat panicked about finding gas fast just because it is obviously not good on anything in the fuel system to run dry! Two weeks ago I had to b**ch my wife out because I climbed in her Porsche Cayenne and her light was on, who knows for how long. I carefully explained how much damage can happen, hopefully she was paying attention and hopefully nobody forwards this to her :D. Anyway, although the FF needs to be fixed obviously, it was not Ferrari's fault so I would bet there is no new FF coming. Good luck anyway.

My California's fuel gage usually indicates one notch below full when it is actually at the top so who knows how accurate it is at the bottom, just for what its worth. My FF seems accurate but as you can see I will never push it on the low end.

I had a few Porsche 928's and one had a fuel pump failure. After replacing the pump I took the old one apart. The pump and motor passed the pumped fuel straight through it, even with a brushed motor, fuel cooling the motor and pump. I wondered with that pump what if the tank runs dry and enough oxygen gets in the pump with the sparks?? Not a good idea.

Again, good luck

Rick

23. StephUK

StephUK Rookie

Feb 12, 2013
    Hi,

The low fuel light is a notification that you are on the reserve not a "stop and get towed to first pump" and as originally mentioned the on-board computer projected another 40 miles of autonomy so it's clearly not rfelberbaum fault to have run out of gas. I don't agree with your comment "it was not Ferrari fault"

Actually there are at least 2 faults here:
    1) The on-board computer (or tank probe, etc...) is not working correctly, as the forecast was wrong (probably by more than 10% - doubt you do 400 miles on a tank)
    2) The obvious fuel line issue.

And I'm sorry but Ferrari is a premium product, with a premium price and any customer should be able to expect premium customer service too.... being kept in the dark for more than 30 days and then being told "you can join the back of the queue" doesn't sounds good enough. At least fast tracking the replacement car sounds like the bare minimum to me, or provide an acceptable replacement loan car during the wait.

24. rfelberbaum

rfelberbaum Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Id have to agree with StephUK here.

Rick- to be clear- the car ran out of gas suddenly while at speed on the highway despite showing 41 miles left until empty. Having said that clearly this is Ferraris "fault".

Even so, If I ran out of gas ON PURPOSE it should never cause such a problem.

THey have had this car now since the end of April. who knows what they have tried they do not tell me.

I think for now I am over Ferrari. Great car, only when it works or at least when you are treated with respect.

25. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I agree, if the dash shows 41 miles you should be able to assume you're sitting on 4 gallons of fuel +\- That's not a small about if fuel if you're just cruising and should easily get you to a station unless the gauge is way off.

No reason to run out with 41 on the display.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk