FF maintenance cost | FerrariChat

FF maintenance cost

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Pinarello, Jan 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I have tested both a California and FF, I am planning to use the car daily and have two kids so need 4 seats, I have decided for the FF, have read and talked to several FF owners that use the car daily and are very happy. As I plan to purchase a 2012-2013 used car wondering what maintenance issues and or cost people who use the car daily have had
    Tires?, brakes? Etc also any input would be greatly appreciated, I have never had a Ferrari before, so I am excited but this is a little unknown to be, maybe scary?

Thank you in advance for any input or recommendations

2. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Got my first service coming up. So far zero issues.

The car includes a 7 year free servicing plan, but I'm not sure how much of that covers the 'extras'

3. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    @ StickBreitling

I just picked up mine in November, so I don't know this yet... how do you know when its time for the annual service? Does the car tell you?

4. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, it does, on the screen.

Had my first annual in early December, zero cost. Brakes are as new after 10k miles with the car used as a daily. Haven't put new tyres on it yet, but I do also use winter tyres (they're into their second winter).

It's a wonderful car, everything you could want and, for my money, leaves a Cali for dead.

5. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Likewise. 10K miles in 18 months. Zero cost.

Augustin likes this.
  6. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    28K miles in 18 months, only expenses are for replacement wheels and tires due to potholes: 6 tires, one wheel replaced, two wheels repaired. I've also had the wheels refinished once from curbing them while parallel parking. But the normal wear items are a long ways away from needing replacement: clutch and brakes are in great condition and I don't expect I'll need to do anything to them for at least another 24K miles.

7. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    do you guys think that FF is more daily car than California?

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Maintenance wise they are equal. Comfort wise the FF is wider and you can fit more stuff in it. And it has the V12 sound! Cali is smaller and therefore sportier feel. It makes for a hard decision!

Rick

9. NDO

NDO Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    FF more daily car than california?
    Dont own a cali but the FF can be driven in any weather, it fits confortably two normal size adults on the back seats and has a reasonable trunk, you can easily place a kid hockey bag and any gear there.
    Incredible car when it comes down to the fact that it is a supercar, yet very practical.
    I think this was a great move from Ferrari and they certainly reached a different niche and type of client with this car.
    Cheer guys, have a good weekend.

10. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agreed with all the positive FF comments here. I've yet to spend anything on maintenance because the maintenance is covered by Ferrari and I'm not through any tires yet. I've had it for 18 months and it's gone ~6,800 miles. I just love the car. It makes a great daily driver.

11. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    what is the truth? How high are FF sales numbers? This car is "commercial success" or not?

12. StickBreitling

Oct 12, 2012
    My dealer told me that in order to retain the 7 year free service package, I would have to make sure that the car was serviced at the specified interval. They sent plenty of emails and made phone calls to remind me.

13. London John

London John Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London & Melbourne
    Full Name:
    John
    Again, a message is automatically displayed telling you how many days or miles until the service is due. You can also page to it via the display menu.

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Presumably the F12 will use a lot more fuel in the daily grind - maybe a few thousand bucks a year

15. NDO

NDO Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    seriously, dont meant to be critical or a pain at all, but are we worried about fuel cost or maybe tire costs on a 350K car?

Buying a Ferrari is the most irrational and yet a phenomenal experience for a car enthusiast. We know it cannot be described in words. It is pure emotion. You have to feel it to understand.

Financially though, it is completely irrational, you can buy 2 loaded Porsche Panameras GTS or Turbo and there is still money left for a boxter to have fun with a convertible.
    Without going in details sound system, navigation system, technology is likely more advanced.

or how about buy 1 panamera turbo, one 991 turbo and a Cayenne.

You basically can have a full 3 car garage with Porsches with the price of a FF or F12. (and many say Porsches are overpriced!).

Porsches are near perfect cars with extremely low maintenance costs, but they are not Ferraris, they are different, we know it.

The point is financially is absurd, but the enthusiasts, know the reason.

Warren Buffet said and I quote:

"Price is what you pay, value is what you get".

If you want value, Ferrari is not the answer.

If it is for passion, emotion, hard to describe feelings, that is a Ferrari.

That is the only way.

16. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    I'd say that a Ferrari is actually way more value for the $. I get tons more excitement, pleasure and happiness for the $ spent than if I had "settled" for any model of Porsche(s). And I'm not dissing Porsches: they're fine cars.

If you're going to worry about $, then don't buy any but the most utilitarian of vehicles that meets your needs and invest the rest: Porsche doesn't fit that bill in any way any more than a Ferrari. I bought an FF because i knew it would give me pleasure beyond any other way I could spend or invest that $, and it has paid dividends beyond my wildest expctations.

That doesn't mean I don't track those small costs like tires, wheels, etc, if only out of curiosity and to compare to other cars/Ferraris I've owned. In those areas, the FF excels, at least in comparison to other Ferraris I've owned.

Now if I were to compare it to my Scion xB, well, there's really no comparison that makes any sense. Neither is there any sense in comparing it to my investment portfolio. That's way beyond the absurdity of comparing Apples and Oranges, more like comparing Bananas and Torque Wrenches.

But I also think it's a valid question to ask, especially on this forum, what to expect in running expenses, especially for someone who has never owned a Ferarri. I did that same thing 15 years ago when I first sought to buy my first Ferrari, and was thereafter far less surprised at the ongoing expenses when things inevitably went awry. I'd say the delta in running costs for the FF vs. my Scion is similar to the delta between my '95 456GT and my FF.

17. NDO

NDO Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    #17 NDO, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    Well said Eric.
    I guess I started some controversy and I am in trouble now with the other fellows Ferrari owners including myself.
    :)

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fuel cost is one thing but an inefficient car will make you constantly look for a pit stop and line up for gas, often at the most inopportune moment. Even F1 drivers and managers have a huge problem with that — the size of the fuel tank required and where you have to put it are huge technical and performance issues when you design a performance car. Fuel efficiency has to do with the core technical capabilities of the car maker.

I think many Fcar owners would gladly trade a few extra dollars in Fcar price for better mileage. That is what the reality is.

No that's not true. It isn't irrational at all and is quite the contrary for many Fcar owners. There may be some people who buy an Fcar on a whim but for owners who knew what they were doing their decision wasn't and isn't irrational at all.

What is irrational is if a person doesn't understand himself/herself and is driven to do something they don't understand. If you understand yourself and understand why you should buy an Fcar, the decision isn't irrational at all. It's very calculated.

Think about what rational really means. ;)

This is what Warren Buffet drives.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

For many owners, passion IS what they value, so value means different things to each person. For that matter, many people also do not like passion or emotion at all.

+1

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Those are very good points.

I would also like to point out the Ferrari maintenance program covers only the most basic of service and if you plan to keep a car long term you will want to do more. I would also be weary of buying a car that has only this level of service done over the years.

20. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
  21. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    supermoo likes this.
  22. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I'm unsure what they WANTED to sell vs. what they have, but the car is definitely a niche car for a very focused end market. Appears some dealers have moved quite a few and others have struggled. I recall seeing some numbers for NA that are around 250+ cars delivered (deliveries only started in latter 2012). Quite a few in places like Switzerland; I can imagine places like Southern California the car may have less interest.

Yes, compliance is key. Also, given the car is "newer technology", inevitably some things will emerge that could use more proactive maintenance. While they are figuring that out, I"m planning on "investing" in the extended warranties while we own the car...

I am anal/OCD on maintenance and cosmetics with my cars. Whenever the car is in the shop (for normal service, in their detail shop, swapping winter tires) I pay for a couple hours of their best tech's labor to go over the cars...look for abnormal wear/leaks, bleed the brakes, torque the wheels, plug the DEIS in and run diagnostics. Something between the pre-flight the race team does and a PPI...the FF has turned up zero issues.

Good news if he turns anything up, it's under warranty, we're learning a lot in the process and I know the car is tip-top. (Like I said, I'm anal....YMMV)

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, he is also very humble, not unlike the other folks of his generation from the midwest. Lives in the same bungalow he bought in the 50s.

BTW, the December 2012 MSN AUTOS article mentions that he has since auctioned off his 2001 Lincoln Town Car on eBay and donated the proceeds to charity. FWIW, a 2001 Lincoln Town Car apparently can get about 15-19 MPG. :)

24. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I understand some of the comments and appreciate input, yes the FF is very expensive, but as I new potential owner and never having a Ferrari wanted to have an idea what to expect specially considering this would be a daily driver and not kept in garage, I am planning on a used one with the options I want not new
    Thanks again and keep the input coming!

25. StickBreitling

Oct 12, 2012
    OK update on my FF. Just got it back from servicing. There were a few internal components (air flow solenoid) which needed replacing. A parking sensor was playing up so that was replaced. They also mentioned that my left side mirror didn't fold into the correct position (never noticed), so that was remedied. All in all about 2 weeks worth of work.

Cost to me - zero. All covered under warranty and the servicing pack. My FF is my daily driver, so it gets used.