Ferrari Torrance Dealership??!!! | FerrariChat

Ferrari Torrance Dealership??!!!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Easy888, Feb 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Uhhh...Believe me that I am happy to hear that a Ferrari dealership is opening up in my neck of the woods. It would save me quite the drive to get the car serviced, but....

Of all places...Torrance? You know your area is up and coming when Ferrari moves in here.

dailybreeze.com: Breaking News

2. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well isn't this interesting

I guess that means I won't be opening one here

3. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Couldn't have come any sooner. I'll be needing a service right about then as well.

4. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Hmmm , right on my door step. Glad I have a good established client base

5. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exactly, I don't think you should be too worried, Craig.

Who knows maybe they'll peddle more cars in the area that'll just end up back at your shop!

6. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Haha, it wouldn't be the first time

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    New Ferrari and Maserati car dealership slated to open in Torrance - ContraCostaTimes.com

Giacomo is opening it. It's a good move for him. It's the only way to get more Maserati sales in the South bay/ PV. It's too far to go to West LA for service for a lot of people and that facility is pretty much used up. Will it increase Ferrari sales? I don't think so. There's still a huge backlog in the allocation in LA. But, he can put more used sales there and that will help.

The new location is not far from South Bay BMW and Martin Chevy. The good news is you can test drive cars down Skypark and the cops are never there. (you didn't hear that from me!)

Hawthorne Blvd has been decimated in the past 4 years with closed stores/ going out of business sales. Still a lot of unused retail space. The new Audi dealer there was a welcome sign of a turn around. This will help but Hawthorne BLVD still has a way to go before it can look like before the great recession.

8. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am wishfully optimistic that they do well, but still I wonder if there's a market in the South Bay for "an annual factory allocation of 50 Ferrari automobiles." That's a whole lot of new Ferraris that they at least expect to have hitting the streets.

As you say, Mayor...great way to pick up on Maser sales/service around here--plenty of Benz, BMW, and Porsche to compete with. Also, yes, very good news for the Hawthorne stretch--"decimated" is a very appropriate description.

We have an interesting commercial and socio-economic demographic in our LA micro-culture and not as much flash as the Westside or OC. I've often wondered how an authorized dealer would do around here; we'll find out soon. Geographically, it certainly fills the void between the other three. Hopefully they'll be planting a seed for a new Tifosi culture.

Exciting news...Welcome to the neighborhood!

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Right next to PV where I grew up.
    Can't wait to see this place.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Who is openning it? The guy who owns Martin...giocomoni? That's a fail right there. Hawthorne Blvd. is fine. What has happened is useless stores who's names I can't remember are gone. Places around walteria are empty. But who shops in walteria? PV people drive "through" walteria to somewhere else. There are like 3 large commercial developments with in 5 miles off PV into Torrance on Hawthorne which is what is needed on HB to facelift and modernize. There is a fourth additional really big development bogged down in impact studies etc. What happened on HB is just a flushing of the toilet.
    There is money in the southbay lots of it. What the recession has shown is that the southbay/PV is not fly by night. They had money before the recession and still had money during and after it. My business is in Torrance and felt no recession as an example. HB is plugged with traffic. If no more stores open on HB that would be fine by me. make any empty retail green space. Interestingly, Tiffany's is coming here too.

11. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nice! Strange location for it though. Not much else near there except a Chevy dealer or something along those lines. (it's not that close to the BMW dealership, that's probably 2-3 miles up Hawthorne).

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Funny thing is I don't know how that chevy dealer or that BMW dealer stay in business. No one I know ever admits to shopping at either. All complain about their customer service and repairshop aggressiveness. I never see a new car paper plate with either name on them either, always from elsewhere. Also, not so strange. There is lots of money here. The question is it the right kind of money?

13. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011

From the link
    "The Ferrari dealership, unanimously approved Wednesday by the city Planning Commission, will sit on a 28,600-square-foot lot now occupied by the Loft Hawaiian restaurant near the Lomita Boulevard intersection opposite Del Amo Fashion Center"

New Ferrari and Maserati car dealership slated to open in Torrance - The Daily Breeze

14. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    When you come and visit and can stop and say hello to me as i am right next door :)

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    More Car stores=more cars=more fun

:)

16. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nope, not Joe Giacomin of Martin--from the article... "The new luxury car dealership is owned by Giacomo Mattioli, who also owns Ferrari Maserati Beverly Hills and is president of Ferrari Maserati Silicon Valley." A tad bit more Ferrari background...but how well they know the South Bay market is the question.

Your question about being the "right kind of money"...that's kind of what I was getting at in my post earlier.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #17 TheMayor, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Dude... it's the same guy who owns Ferrari BH and Silicon Valley.

Read... and chill. I've worked with F of BH for over 12 years and they are good people. I'm happy the South Bay is getting this facility. A lot of people in PV would like to own an F car or M car but don't want to drag it all the way to West LA for warranty service.

When I had my Maserati shop in Torrance in the 80's, I had a ton of business from PV. But, the Jag dealer on PCH was a Maser dealer so they sold a lot of cars and we were factory authorized warranty repair. In fact, we did more service than the dealer did because he couldn't handle it.

Those were the days... :)

What's interesting is the guys who own South Bay BMW/Mini used their old facility on Sepulveda just north of Artesia to first open a Lotus dealership (it failed) and then sold used exotics (mainly F and M cars) and it failed. That showroom and lot have been vacant for maybe a year. So, let's see if they can pull it off with an authorized dealer in the area.

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Thatnk God it's not the Chevy guys - what a bounch of morons! They don't understand sales at all. They had a 348 in there a few years back in the show room and not one person could tell me a thing about it. Their idea of selling new cars is to just name their price and wait for someone to come along and pay it. They don't deal on anything.

SoBay BMW is similar. They have a good rep in the BMW community, but I personally don't know how they get it. My experiences there have never been good, except for the parts counter where the guys are superior. This is the last dealership where i would buy a car and I live minutes from them.

I am happy about Ferrari coming to the SoBay but it may very well have to do with Porsche's plans to build their track and show facility in Carson, nearby. For now most people I know buy their Ferraris down in OC. I don't know of anyone who goes to Beverly Hills. To me, that dealership is jaded. For that level of service I'd just as soon go to our sponser Fastcars.

19. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

"It's also in keeping with the city's pretensions of attracting more upscale retailers and restaurants to the midmarket retail district. Recent openings and planned additions include a Wal-Mart grocery store and a new location of a chain that sells inexpensive suits, for instance."

Upscale retailers like Walmart and a cheap suit store? Ferrari should stand out like a sore thumb. :/

20. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I am really surprised they are putting one down here because it seems like very few people in PV buy new Ferraris. They all have classic ones. For example last Sunday I saw a 365 GT, 308 GTS, Testarossa, 348 Spider, Daytona, and a 360 Spider. The newest one I saw was 10 years old but in Beverly Hills/ Newport it is nothing but F430s and 458s all day long. Redondo doesn't really have that many Ferraris either. I guess they are trying to change that.

21. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Like some of the posters in this thread, I've grew up in the Torrance area most of my life. Never before did I think a Ferrari dealership would wind up here. I certainly hope they call it Ferrari/Maserati of South Bay than Ferrari/Maserati of Torrance.

But with all that said, I think the main anchor of Torrance is the Del Amo Mall. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the biggest mall on the west coast no? Personally I would have prefered the current owners to be Westfield (Century City, Fox Hills, etc) since they attract more middle class to upscale type stores at their malls. But being that it's owned by The Mills, I'm anxious how it will turn out. The Mills own Ontario Mills, but that's all I know. Last time I was at Ontario Mills was years ago and from memory the stores in there felt generic and unassuming, which is pretty much what Del Amo feels like now. Granted they built the outdoor section of the area which is pretty nice, there's still a lot of the mall left that feels dated and just dead. I'm sure Nordstroms move from The Galleria would help and am surprised (if it's true) that someone mentioned Tiffany's would be a future tenant. It does seem like The Mills may follow in the steps of Westfield of having middle to upscale stores. If they can achieve what South Coast Plaza has, then I can't imagine Del Amo not being successful. Being that the mall is such a huge retail presence in the city, I think it sets a tone of what the South Bay has to offer. If Torrance can begin to feel more upscale as a result of the mall, then no reason Ferrari wouldn't fit in with the "tone".

On another note, I do see current Ferrari's up in PV and the beach cities here and there. I do think with the older 355, 360 models, and inevitably the 430 and other cars in the line up becoming cheaper in the second hand market, there may be an increase in ownership around the local area. PV, Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan combined are generally wealthy areas that I can see being just the clientele that Ferrari/Maserati wants to attract.

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    i was thinking about the same think with the Porsche track. Maybe there is a deal in the works which lends validity to both. And that is why Eric and I said the right kind of money. Beach people especially want to look good for cheap. Lots of marginal buyers buy junk Ferraris etc. cheap from beach cities car lots. It's a Ferrari and they look good. Those cars get passed around fixed cheaply you get my drift. Not all Ferraris around here are like that but a decent number of them. And yes tiffanys is coming to this weird location. What many retailers never understand is the mindset of PV. First thing my wife said was she would still go to south coast plaza for tiffanys. If you are not from PV you just don't get it.

23. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree. The Avenue of the Penninsula couldn't sustain the high end stores. Saks left, B&O left, and I forget who else. I think it may be a combination of people wanting to leave the hill to go somewhere different (being couped up in the hill all week, if you live here does that to you) and the fact that Del Amo doesn't necessarily have the crowd you want to mix with if you're wanting to shop at the upscale stores. There was a point in time when Del Amo felt like gangs wanting to claim their portion of the mall.

24. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep, I don't have any knowledge of how it went down...but one of the first things that came to mind was Saks at the Avenue as an example. We just don't have the density and metro/touristy attraction. And you don't see the spending and flash of big money. Perhaps moving a small volume of big money cars won't be as difficult as supporting a whole dept store. There are some great cars around here tucked in the nooks and crannies, so they're here.

I haven't heard much about the Porsche track lately...any of you guys have any news. Would be awesome to get some dealer backed Ferrari days out there and bring out the Tifosi and some noisy cars.

25. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Most of the Ferrari owners down here at the beach try to keep you PV people from knowing they have them. That's why we promote our "cheap" image. The criminal element up there, you know.