FERRARI SHOULD LEAVE F1 FOR GOOD | FerrariChat

FERRARI SHOULD LEAVE F1 FOR GOOD

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ginoBBi512, Jun 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Ferrari are building insane V12s for the public to drive, like the 812 SUPERFAST, whos owners undoubtably will not know the first thing about driving them proper , and they are building pieces of crap turbo V6s for F1 consumption, all because of the FIA s dumbing down of the sport., Whats wrong with that picture ? , its seems absolutely insane, maybe they should put out all their money into prototype sports car racing, isnt that less policed / regulated ??? Thats my opinion after I just listened to an 812 at Fiorano, and also one screaming by me going the opposite way on the 101 north / west , I had my music loud and still could hear that monster screaming by on the other side of the freeway while I was heading south / east !!!!!!

Thank you

DGPF and DonB like this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This just proves..there is zero F1 engine tech in the current road car. Ferrari has no v6 powered cars.

F1 is what it is. You wanna play..then it's by thier rules..

psych0hans, Shark01 and JCR like this.
  4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    No.

Number of cylinders is, I’d suggest, close on irrelevant in the comparison. Just look at the tech that Mercedes have announced they have transferred to their road cars in turbo technology.

And not forgetting that the next back of new Ferrari’s are likely to be hybrid of some sort...and where is that tech/ knowledge going to come from?

(Jaguars current v6 is a v8 with two cylinders blanked off!)

Besides you didn’t any manufacturer making a v10 in that era nor making a 1.6ltr v6 for the past 6 years?

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    First, consider being a little less "judgey".

Second, the era of huge v12 engines is almost over. Electric is in, it's going to be in.. first as Hybrid then perhaps all electric. That F12 sounds nice but it's already a dinosaur the same way hand crank start engines are. Writing is on the wall, legislation will follow sooner or later and at that point you will only be able to drive it on a track.

6. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The noise and pollution regs are killing the NA cars and forcing all fossil fuel vehicles to be rethought
    Enjoy the 12s10s and 8s while they last

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

DGPF, psych0hans and paulchua like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    As much as I hate to say it, @vrsurgeon is right. The advantages of electric outweigh ICE in the long term. True, I enjoy the occasional Vinyl, but I don't miss going to the record shop and taking 30 minutes to find that song I want to audition. Having every song in existence being able to be pulled in in a second is too much of a value prop.

Enjoy the last days of ICE, smoke em if you got em'

DGPF and technom3 like this.
  8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yet

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Umm nope. You missed the big memo.

Mercedes is longer continuing the development of the gasoline engine.

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
  11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ohh don't get me wrong. I'm not looking forward to it and for a billion different reasons the world isn't ready for electric cars.

I have been saying it for 20 years. I havw converted 4 regular cars to electric and raced them and competed against MIT in the tour de sol etc...

The battery tech just isn't there yet.

However without making this political... The legislation and movement is making pushing it that direction.

But again Mercedes isn't going to develop the ICE any longer.

Whether or not it's a mistake or the needed push to get the technology for the next step is anyone's guess...

My personal take is people are looking at EVs as the end all be all.... My version is battery powered cars are not the end. It is going to be a short stepping stone.

Batteries and the technology are either just not there or environmentally just as disastrous as ICE. so there will be another green movement to get rid of them to go on to the next thing.

paulchua likes this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    With the latest benz engine offerings, I can see why they are giving it up. What a crappy engine that 4 cylinder turbo is. It's an insult really.

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Really? What don't you like. Genuinely curious.

Don't get me wrong I am so sick of 2.0liter 4 cylinders but I understand why they exist.

DGPF and paulchua like this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Justin, you just wrote my current sentiments. I hate the idea ICE is going away, but the writing is on the wall. I do think though that a full 'ban' will take longer then (thankfully my lifetime) - in a way, it may make 'special' ICE cars more special as all mainstream models go to fully electric.

technom3 likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow, the 415 HP 2 litter to me seems to be a marvel? Again, agreed with @technom3
    (this is me saying with a Ferrari V12 in the garage)

Might not be my cup of tea, but it's quite impressive, up there with the MR440.

DGPF and technom3 like this.
  16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Oh..boy..were to begin. The problems with these engine are simply monumental. Pending class action law suits in regards to the timing chains failing, water pump failures which require a huge amount of work to change out, the engines are noisy, turbo oil line leaks, all fail prematurely. Thermostat issues.

And if you look at how these components are designed and the materials used to make them, the reason for the failure is obvious. Any moron would look at the water pumps and know they will stop working in a short amount of time..plastic, vacuum operated shut valve made of plastic, and yes let put all this plastic under a turbo.

The engine is an awful, awful thing. So poorly designed I think a 1st year engineering student could have done a better packaging job of it.

Anyway.. if you want more..just ask..I'm here all week..

paulchua likes this.
  17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Lol.

Gotcha. I appreciate the Actual technical response. I am so used to people replying I just hate 4 cylinders. And I hate turbos.

So thank for the actual specific mechanical short comings of the Mercedes engine.

paulchua likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed with post above, thanks for the context, I readily admit I know nothing when it comes to that engine and reliability.