Ferrari project | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. john earhart

john earhart Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    New hampshire
    Full Name:
    john earhart
    Hello All!

Unfortunately, it would appear that I JUST missed out on a 308gt4 project that would have been RIGHT up my alley that I would have LOVED to save.

Wondering, does anybody have any leads or know of one that might be a bit neglected and need some love?
    I like coupes and manuals.

Does a 308gt4, 308 (something along that lines) seem more doable? I will not be doing a full blown $150K restoration, just bringing something back to a better state to make a nice driver. I want to be able to drive it and not have it be a trailer queen.

paulchua likes this.
  2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #2 Husker, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    you'll find something, especially this winter. Keep looking. The trap is, a lot of "stories" Ferraris aren't that heavily discounted, so by the time you get them back in shape, you have spent beyond what a no-stories Ferrari would have been. Even the smallest of things on these - trim pieces, etc., can be insidiously expensive. My first Ferrari was a 1982 308 GTSi that I paid $21K for. It was a 6.5 car. Leaked, interior just OK, bald TRX tires, a few rust bubbles. I put some shoe polish on it - new tires, refinished the seats, did some detail work, and sold it for $27K a year later. But it was still somewhat of a dog when I sold it, it had been neglected. It really needed at the time a good $10-20K makeover depending on how much you wanted to do.

If you want to find bargain Ferraris that need some TLC, try doing a routine national Craigslist search. Owners that have neglected cars probably won't even bother putting them on BAT or eBay out of somewhat embarrassment and fear of questions.

paulchua likes this.
  3. john earhart

john earhart Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    New hampshire
    Full Name:
    john earhart
    That is one thing I noticed. I stumbled upon one where the owner "knows what they have." The car needs some dents fixed and there really isn't rust to speak of. The interior is rather nice, but the car has been sitting since 1998. It is on a tow truck with four flats and he wants the same price as a MINT one. CL is my normal go to and I have been searching on it for a hot minute.

I am looking into a trip and was hoping to find a few to look at along my way. I do understand that if you go full bore, you're upside almost instantly, but my intentions are to do what I am able to do. If there are repairs I HAVE to outsource, I will do so as there is no point in doing something incorrectly, but I want to drive and enjoy the car. A trailer queen is nice to look at, but that is about all that will happen with it.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Hi I sent you a PM. Thanks

5. john earhart

john earhart Rookie

Nov 15, 2020
    New hampshire