Ferrari Maserati of Silicon Valley | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Maserati of Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by 4i2fly, Jan 21, 2005.

1. We apologize, our new Classifieds has been intermittently down as we sent an email today that overloaded the system. We'll get it fixed and then you can link from the header "Buy - Sell" or from the email. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    We can do cigar and scotch/cognac at tinderbox behind BBC prior to F1 viewing...let's plan for it.

2. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Well again no disagreement...but I'd give'em the benefit of the doubt, especially, when I know there are innovative ways of running an operation effectively and efficiently and never compromise quality of service or customer service.

3. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/11526000.htm

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
  5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    One advantage of owning a wide and varied selection of a cerin marque's cars:

When you open a dealership, just send your personal collection down if the manufactuar can't stock in time!

6. JoeG54

JoeG54 Karting

Aug 24, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe G

Dan, what's the story on this -- particularly the part about getting "rejected by all of the top techs in the area"? I had car trouble (not the 355) last night and unfortunately wasn't able to make the opening. I always wonder when people spend a lot of money on "form" (i.e. flashy building) and not "substance" (i.e. high-quality help).

What's your take? I'm trying to decide whether I should take my car there for service.

Thanks,

Joe

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Talk to all the good techs. See if they tooks jobs. Then find out where the techs at FoSV are (here's a hint: there's one right now, no more) - and then figure out where they're coming from. After that, see how they're getting compensated to do work.

Make your own decision.

--Dan

8. JoeG54

JoeG54 Karting

Aug 24, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe G
    Well, Dan, that's actually why I was asking you. I don't know any techs, so I can't talk to them. And for the same reason, I can't figure out where the one tech at FoSV came from, much less how he is being compensated.

I really do appreciate your input, but I must admit that answers to your questions would be a lot more helpful to me than just the questions...

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Joe - if you haven't figured it out, I've said PLENTY w/o saying anything to get me into too much trouble. I'm sorry you're not privy to things not terribly deep or dark, but I'll say this - none of my cars will end up there for service work unless it's a warranty item. If you like your cars, I suggest you do the same.

--Dan

10. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Dan,

More then one tech has been hired. The service manager has been hired, and as you know the parts manager has been hired. They have 3 techs to my knowledge as of Fri and all have Ferrari experince. As well, paying a tech the way they are is in the tech's best intrest if they are a quality tech. It works out very well for good techs.

11. JoeG54

JoeG54 Karting

Aug 24, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe G
    Thanks for your comments, Dan. But why would it make a difference whether it's a warranty item or not? I guess I'll have to think about it more...

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    (Joe, part of this si for you)

R: As of Friday, the PM and one tech had been confirmed. The other one I know of was not yet fully signed on. The tech currently agreed is not, what we'll call, the best tech around.

Further, the pay structure precludes quality work from being done. First off, the pay rate being offered is LESS than most other places - this means that they're already making less money in a milieu that is not cheap. Add to that the fact that FNA and FoSP are setting the hours-per-job, and doing so at time intervals that are less than accurate or proper to do a quality job - you have techs rushing jobs because whether they spend 8 hours or 30, they get paid for 8 if the book rate says it. And if the book rates are already below what's necessary (8 for a 12 hour job), then you've got guys cutting corners and scrambling to get things done.

The reason its ok for warranty work is because you're not paying for it out of pocket - and so if they fukk it up or do a sub-par job, you just send it back in. It's an inconvenience, but it's not a major issue. It does, however, cause problems for big jobs (and/or stuff you pay for - like a major).

It's each person's responsibility to decide what level of service is acceptable to them. Personally, I'd much rather send my car to any one of the talented independants we've got in the bay area than any of the dealerships unless the work's being done for free - and even in that case it's gotta be mundane / trivial stuff.

--Dan

13. JoeG54

JoeG54 Karting

Aug 24, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe G
    Thanks very much, Dan, very helpful explanation.

14. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    No Dan, As of Fri, 3 techs were there and one SM and one PM.

As far as the pay scale goes, welcome to ALL dealerships. This is for the most part industry standard. Nothing new, and not changing.

15. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Since I don't know about Ferrari techs’ pay structures I would not comment on that front...I did heard by the way that they may be paying low salaries. Were they comparing apples to oranges, I don't know. Obviously the greatest techs that have their own shops and take all the risks, work on their own hours and become successful would never want to go back to the corporate structure. But as the cars get more complex to trouble-shoot and service and Ferrari keeping the training and equipment captive within their own network there is no other choice but dealers. I’d like to see the greatest independent tech trouble-shoot an electronic problem with a new 612 that happens intermittently and can be attributed to any one of the 27 processors on the CAN bus in the car. Thank God I don’t own a 612.

It's your money and you spend it the way it pleasures you...I am just saying there is a new game in town which helps keep "THE OTHER" more honest. Some aspects of this discussion maybe foreign to some but I'd say it again...Even the best make mistakes, how they deal with the mistakes set them apart that either turn you away as a customer or keep you for good.

But if the two owners of FoSV get up on the podium and both say they have talked with many owners and understand "SERVICE" being No.1 issue and they intent to provide it, I give'em the benefit of the doubt...BTW, neither one of them spoke with me nor solicited my inputs.

16. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I just got myself in line on the calendar for a maserati service appointment. Warranty nature of the work, espresso lounge, and distance are all things that make me want to give the new guys a try...

17. JoeG54

JoeG54 Karting

Aug 24, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe G
    So if one had a 355, out of warranty, and wanted the best service, why wouldn't they go to an independent? People who open their own shops have to be good (assuming they've been in business at least a few years), or they won't be in business very long. Also, their overhead is much lower.

18. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I have taken my car to Brian Crall who used to be the shop foreman at FoLG. He is factory trained all the way upto 575s. He has deep knowledge of these cars and well connected within the Ferrari community. There might be others just as qualified. Factory trained might not make any tech better than the other but because I feel comfortable with Brian and I have an appreciation for his depth of knowledge about Ferraris I do not hesitate to recommend him to others.

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'll second that recommendation.

Gary

20. wonkazoo

wonkazoo Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    Woodside/RWC
    Full Name:
    David
    Triplicate endorsement.

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How much is all this going to cost me?

22. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Wait, isn't that our line? ;^)

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Matt - I think the only point in which I'd concede is that of the technology. There's definetly a lag time for information to get passed on to most independants. That said, there are a few out there who are very up to date and are privy to all that they need to be.

BTW, CAN bus cars aren't new - the blue 550 is such.

--Dan

24. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Dan,

I think it is important to note although we all share the same passion about cars and own similar rides everyone's approach to acquiring a piece of mind while servicing their cars are very different. I am sure what works for you will work for many others including myself...that's not the point. We are dismissing statements issued by co-owners of the new dealerships based on pay structure that didn't settle well with those who were offered. Others may take lower salaries for other benefits, don't you think some of FoSF's techs could go and open up their own shop tomorrow and make 3 or 4 times as much within the first year?

I was having dinner with a buddy last night that used to regularly service his car at FoBH. They have a bistro as well, and while he was munching a panini with Parma and...someone came up to him and said if the food doesn't suit him they can take him anywhere he'd like for lunch...this is SERVICE. The environment promotes customer care. It may not be important to some but shows how much they care for a customer who spends thousands at their dealership and make him feel like a king. He has also been to the infamous dealership where the service department is in the boonies and don't even have a decent lounge or offer you a cup of water much less a panini with espresso to go with it. They seem as though are doing a thankless job and no matter how hard they try they come below expectation...then it is no wonder repairs are done less than satisfactory and incomplete. And since they were the only game in town they got away with it for a few years. All I am saying is competition is healthy to keep the other in line with what they are supposed to do, first and foremost customer care.

By the way, I brought up 27 processors on a CAN bus as a nightmare to troubleshoot. It will be a nightmare for dealer and independent. The technology has been around for many years in European cars but having 27 processors who communicate on a twisted pair with bus contentions, dominant or not if one processor goes half way bad where it chatters and clutters the bus, you either shotgun uP boards and try to see if that fixes the problem (sometimes it is impossible) or you bring the factory logic analyzer that looks for particular patterns and codes to isolate the fault. While this is a likely event on any serial communication protocol with many initiators I have not personally experience it on a CAN bus I have seen it on Fibre Channel Loops with many drives which fall into the same predicament when a faulty drive clutters the bus and it becomes very difficult to isolate.

Matt

25. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Matt - we're running around in circles, and I think you've made some very good points.

That said - cigars and scotch in Los Gatos or Menlo ... when?

--Dan