Ferrari jerking problem 360, 355 F1 | FerrariChat

Ferrari jerking problem 360, 355 F1

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FEMA, Jan 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FEMA

FEMA Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Philippines
    Full Name:
    Jason Orlanes
    Hi Guys,
    Im new here in Ferrari chat.

I need help on how to rectified the issue on ferrari 360 or and 355 jerking problem on 1st gear and 2nd gear (hot or cold)

Workshop already to replace the clutch, clutch sensor etc. etc. on there diagnosing.

I replace clutch like they sai, after replacing clutch by them they set it to sd2(F360) sd1(F355). set PIS bleed etc etc with no fault on any.. flywheel already at spec according to them.

Any suggestion on how to rectified my issue? anyone with same problem?

Appreciate your responce

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    We need to know the numbers they set and also the new clutch position setting. Potentially is there a problem with engine/transmission mounts? many variables. Did the car(s?) have these issues before, under what circumstances were the replacement clutch decided. Is this an independent/dealer and where in the world? A profile filled out helps in many ways.

3. FEMA

FEMA Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Philippines
    Full Name:
    Jason Orlanes
    Thanks brian for the response.
    Its the main and only dealer here in philippines. They are trained technician send drom italy etc etc for training.
    But thia issue havent sold for year..
    the both cars only low mileage of less 5000km only but the wear on the computer says 70%.
    so they suggst to replace clutch clutch sensor etc wtc..mounting on engine and transmission is also new..
    thwy set to sd2 and sd1 and giving no fault..for the parameter i cant have it..do you think its the flywheel?, like they said?
    i remember they told me also about the f1 pump that funstioning properly and its not the f1 pump..
    they say it might be mechanical as they dont see any fault..

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Both cars are doing this? The common denominator would be driver inputs.

I have seen many instances where the driver & incorrect throttle application is the cause. Nothing personal, just fact. You can search here & see.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I'm with Michael in so far as at the very least it needs ruling out - jerking is incredibly common with new F1 owners solely due to the learning curve

Try this search here 'how to drive f1' for many threads and also look for the Youtube video from a Florida dealer

Michael B likes this.
  6. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I had a Stradale that had a software update that minimized that problem.

Michael B likes this.
  7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Have you tried driving with ASR turned off?

8. FEMA

FEMA Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Philippines
    Full Name:
    Jason Orlanes
    Yes! both cars are doing this..but i dont think its the driver input as the other one is driven by my brother and he never complain the issue before same as me.

9. FEMA

FEMA Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Philippines
    Full Name:
    Jason Orlanes
    yes also tried F1..also try to auto mode still 1st gear and 2nd gear jerk.

10. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Before what?.. Before the clutch change to fix the issue? Before it became an issue? Before it started doing it? Before the motor mounts? Before what exactly?

11. FEMA

FEMA Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Philippines
    Full Name:
    Jason Orlanes
    ok micheal let me clear it,
    Before i drove 355 and my brother 360 run smooth and no issue with a mileage of less than 3000km 10years ago..we only use the car occational in a long drive but most just around the village just to warm it out.
    When the mileage riched less 5000km the issue came up 1st on 360 so we bring it to ferrari dealer and they suggest to replace the clutch as the wear on the computer is 75% - replaced all the things they suggest clutch, clutch sensor, release bearing kit, engine and transmission bushing as its already worn out already(etc) then the issue still present but no fault on sd2 set PIS still the same.
    Then after 1year or 1 1/2 year my 355 with same issue. so they replace clutch (70% wear), clutch sensor, release bearing then do computer for bleeding seting PIS etc with out any fault on computer.
    still both cars with same issue 1st gear ( stand still - 20kph) to 2nd gear (20kph 40kph) but when on 3rd gear and up no problem issue it shift perfectly.

Then try to stop and try auto mode same issue.

its annoying during trafic..its like you really riding a horse

12. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    okay. Lets do this... Can you drive each car to test a theory? I would try this:

Try a measured start procedure.

I would 1st try pulling away from a stop with NO throttle. Just let off the brake & see if it pulls away smooth. Write down the result.

Next I would pull away with an abrupt start. Lift off the brake & push the accelerator to half way. Aggressively pull away @ half throttle ~ write down the result.

Then here is a telltale. I want you to hold the brake and add throttle up to 2500RPM. Once at 2500 RPM release the brake & pull away ~ writing down the result.

All the while pay close attention to your foot & keep it steady to take that input out of the equation. Report back.

13. FEMA

FEMA Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Philippines
    Full Name:
    Jason Orlanes
    You mean with SD2?? result in PIS??

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I own a flawless 355 F1. Create a video of what is going on and post the video here. That will help us help you.

Michael B likes this.
  15. FEMA

FEMA Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Philippines
    Full Name:
    Jason Orlanes
    I will gather much more information when i come back to philippines..currently im out of town and the unit still in the dealership.
    its seems its not the flywheel you all thinking..but i really appreciate all the response.
    u will post if i come back to ph.

16. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

jerking means the throw out bearing is going fore and aft a little when took off, am i correct/?

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I came to this thread seeking out an entirely different problem that I, uh....nevermind

Michael B likes this.
  18. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No SD needed, I mean drive the car exactly like I prescribe & report to me what it does. Or like Dave said "video" the actions as they happen - & show us.

taz355 likes this.
  19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Even better

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Make sure car is warmed up and at operating temp 90 to 100 celsius or close

21. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    And make sure the PIS is set with a tech in a test drive. Do 3 starts. Flat, downhill and uphill to find optimum PIS. Even with ASR off (like i drive all the time) my car will hesitate slightly in meshing the clutch below 3000 from from both 1st and 2nd gear. Higher gears a fine at lower rpms, but 1 and 2 will shift fine, while clutch engagement will go half way, provide a little thrust, hesitate, then completely mesh giving full trust when shifting below 3000 rpm. Above that and the clutch bangs in just fine. I have a Challenge Stradale TCU which helped with driving feel immensely. I attribute this "delay" or "soft mesh" to latent ASR in the clutch mapping OR some slight glaze on the flywheel or throw out bearing wear. My car has 17K on it now and started 2 years ago with 9K. It drives fine for me and learning the F1 system was important. You need to add more throttle too as this is one of the sensors the robots use. At my recent service for a new alternator and cable, oil pressure sender, and battery, Tech said nothing about clutch. Mine was at 80% or more remaining when I bought it and my PIS was set with a tech and me on the drive to 3.79 mm! Tuning helped a ton and the CS TCU is the bomb. Drive with ASR off as often as possible.

Incidentally, driving my Quadrifoglio in slippery conditions on it's summer corsas in A -advanced efficency mode- helps with low speed throttle and braking, giving a much softer map to avoid spinning tires and brake lurching into obstacles like garage door frames. (Knock on wood!) Haha, de-icing in front of the garage helps a lot too. I will wash her and drive some more this weekend in our balmy 50'F temps. ;)

Oh yeah, warm up the car too. The F1 clutch robot is dumb as a rock when cold. Partly because the friction surfaces needs to warm up. Seriously!

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The clutch Could also need to be bled.
    Air in the clutch line will also cause this.
    The 355 will be easier to fix since pis is done automaticaly each time you start

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I guess you never did follow this up

24. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC

Does it jerk when shifting in all rpm or a certain range?