Ferrari FF vs Panamera TurboS | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF vs Panamera TurboS

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Georgemaser, Aug 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    I thought I was going to buy a new Panamera TuboS and then I started looking at what else I could get for near the same cost and came up with a preowned Ferrari FF. I drove one this weekend and thought it was good, maybe slightly more engaging then the PTTS. The torque was different though, more linear, high end torque, not the low end surge and head back pull that I love about the PTTS and for that matter my Cayenne turbo. This left me somewhat disappointed. Am I missing something? I am not sure what I want to do now. The PTTS may be a better daily driver because there would be not as much attention drawn to it. Can anyone lend any insight to my dilemma? Thanks

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Easy one. If youre going to use back seats then get the 4 door pana. If only rare back seat use, then ff

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Turbo S is not the quickest car in the segment, great from stop light to stop light but trap speed at 1/4 mile is the lowest vs competition (RS7, M5 Comp, CLS/E63).
    If I were you I would test drive thoroughly the Audi RS7 and CLS63S before making any decision.
    IMO, both much quicker, more comfortable and practical then either the Pana or FF.
    Both blend easier with traffic which makes them better from social and legal (cops) point of view (an important factor for daily driver).

4. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Can't compare the driving characteristics of a turbo vs a naturally aspirated car. Turbo will give you the low end torque shove, whereas FF is more progressive and, honestly the FF has a much better sound, particularly at full boil even though muted by sound deadening to,maintain the luxury GT Character. The Panny has all the creature comforts, bells and whistles whereas the FF has that glorious V12. Both great cars. I will disagree with Absent in that Pannys in my neck of the woods are common and blend in without seeming to attract much attention. The FF would not go unnoticed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Sounds like you have your own priorities and perceptions. On being noticed, I have been surprised that my FF is noticed as much as it is because it is not nearly as flamboyant as the sports cars. But it is noticed quite a lot. If that bothers you, you have to weigh that into your consideration. As far as the driving experience is concerned, you seem to sense the differences in the cars. So you will value them according to your own priorities. My best suggestion is to drive them again and get in touch with what your gut tells you.

6. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you are not looking to get noticed and you want something fast get the Mercedes E63 wagon. That thing hauls and is very fun to drive. Flies under the radar until you blow them away at the stoplight. 0-60 in 3.4 seconds!

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
  8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I apologize, I should've been more clear.
    Modding all my cars became a second nature to me and I don't even think about it anymore.
    I always do Renntech mods on my daily drivers and on my current E63S I have only the ECU done at a cost of just $4k.
    Rwhp currently at 586 (about 700+Hp at the crank).
    Measured 1/4 mile in Joliet track :10.86 with trap 126.8 mph.
    You are right of course, stock for stock FF will walk away from CLS or E at speeds over 100mph.
    ....slowly walk away though.....

9. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    dilemmas dilemmas

Ferrari FF

10. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Tough problem. I like to say that any problem that can be solved with money is not a real problem. It's the problems that you can't solve with money that you have to watch out for.

11. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Yeah, don't forget to keep an eye on the problems you don't have enough money to solve too. They hit hard aswell.

12. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yeah... I know. But the idea is you always have a chance to beg, borrow, or steal. But point granted.

13. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    You are so right! These should be the worst problems anyone has. I just sponsored food truck this evening and had about 300 people there. Some waited in line since 6:00 am for the truck to get there at 5:00 pm. Those are real problems. I certainly am very blessed.

14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    For a low key but solid DD, any of the usual picks (M-B, BMW, Audi) are all good. Personally I have an X5M.

You should absolutely want the FF, and really only get it if it excites you. It's a much, much more usable Ferrari -rear seats, boot, 4RM, et al. Doesn't scream Ferrari quite like a 458.

For us, it was the way it drove that caught us. The "usual picks" are all fine, but the FF as a driver on 2 lane, twisty, up-and-down roads is just incredible. My wife takes our girls to school most days and, for her, it makes the commute fun and rewarding. Having done that ride in an AMG, an Audi and BMW M, it's good, too. Just not (as) great. That for us was the factor.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

15. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes. A big amazing driver's car.

16. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    Mods aside, I think this sums up the difference between the turbos and the FF V12.

The turbos are very quick at normal road speeds but its up in the stratosphere that the FF starts to shine.

That is something I'm a big fan of, but I think some drivers are actually reassured in a car where the grunt falls off a bit at higher speeds. Some folks do find the V12's ability to seemingly pull harder (or at least not fall off) at the real high speeds positively unnerving.

I guess if I wanted a car as a DD and I didn't want to obsess over dings and dirt and traffic, an RS7 sounds like a great choice (as for Porsches, great cars but I like my Porsches little). I think no matter how well off you are, its kind of hard to own a Ferrari and not, well, baby it a little bit! :)

17. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I thought that was the point of this thread, practicality for daily use.
    Otherwise, for any other use, weekend toy or as a second or third car, the FF is on a different planet as far as driving experience, "feel and touch", fun and overall satisfaction is concerned, not just raw numbers of 0-60 or whatever .

18. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
  19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    You'll always have the opportunity to buy a turbocharged 4-seater. Are we sure we'll always have the option of a year-round NA V12 4-seater that's tuned by Ferrari?

20. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Addendum:

If I used the Autobahn regularly I'd consider the Turbo because of the constant and vast fluctuation in mph on such roads. But anywhere else, it would have to be the FF.

21. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
  22. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    #22 Lone Wolf, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I got the Pani GTS and a 458. Perfect combo

24. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    ff and 458 would ve been a better combo

actually, 12c and ff would be even better. lmao.

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, because no one is buying them.