FCRA Questions, Sponsors/Tech/Rules | FerrariChat

FCRA Questions, Sponsors/Tech/Rules

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by johnhoughtaling, Mar 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    I received the follow questions regarding the FCRA. The questions and answers are below:

1: *Who is in charge of answering questions and making decisions on technical issues in regards to the race car qualifications and compliance.

Myself after consultation with the board.

A: *Are there FCRA *“Race Event Rules” *other then what is posted on the web site *(like the FNA Challenge, FCA, SCCA, Grand Am, Etc.)*

We are updating the rules currently. *Our thoughts now is to follow rules of the FNA challenge except for our own licensing and a no touching rule. * We are attempting to work with FNA to be looked at as a feeder series. * We will not likely run 458s, and restrict it to non current cars, (except 430 this year).

B: *Will the FCRA have its own tech crew to inspect the participating cars are in compliance with said rules and are placed within the correct group

Tech will be worked in conformity with the Tech for each event. * The original concept for this year is that tech will primarily be done by the official race teams enforced by the FCRA, so far IFS (Team Pilota), Classic Coach/FCF, Universal, Speedworks. *Those companies inspecting cars will be placed on the FCRA insurance.

C: *If so, will they be at every one of the events

See above.

D: *Who will determine if a car needs to be moved from its model group because it has been modified or does not meet FCRA qualifications

The race steward for that event, and the board of directors.

E: *What determines if a car has been modified enough to remove it from its model group *(exhaust work, suspension up grade, *performance up grade, Etc.)

This year we will be fairly casual with regard to performance upgrades. *The only car I know now that will get bumped up in class is Jeffs 355 going to 360. * The idea is to be flexible enough to allow the mods that are popular with the drivers. *This will evolve as determined by the board

F: *Will the FCRA issue its own *TECH INSPECTION *stickers. *Maybe a different one for each race to show the drivers participation in each event.

Yes. *
    2: *The FCRA driver license requirements for drivers who have not run in a club race before

** * A: *How long will it take to verify, *so far we have a couple of North East drivers who are interested in running and will go with the graphics package as long as *they are eligible to race

We will turn around applications very fast. *Guy Cosmo and myself ate reviewing them. *Applications were sent out upon registration. *I can send one to you.

** * B: *Who is to determine driver eligibility

Guy Cosmo, the race Steward and myself. *

3: *Sponsor Decal Package

** * A: *Is there a specific layout for each Challenge model

No, other than general location on the example.

** * B: *Can the placement be adjusted as long as it remains on the correct panel

Yes

** * C: *Do the decals of conflicting companies need to be removed

No

** * D: *Can decals from non conflicting companies stay

Yes

** * E: *Who will determine a car is compliant with the graphics

Myself and the board. *We will be flexible this year.

4: *Hoosier Tire Requirement *

** * A: *Will the FCRA cars have to run Hoosier tires in all the FCRA practice sessions, *what about club group sessions

Encouraged, not required.

** * B: *Can drivers use the tires they have on their wheels now before switching to the Hoosier’s *(run them out so they can use up what they have already paid for)

My preference is that they use others for practice and Hoosiers for race. *But if you have a guy who just bought two new sets, we will work with them.

** *C: *As of today there are no 18” tires ready in the new size and compound, what will be the FCRA decision on running the 355 & 360’s *if the new tires are not available before the start of the racing season

They should be available*

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #2 WCH, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    John, very helpful guidance, thanks! A few thoughts others may or may not share. Don't you just love free advice?

- I personally don't care how you class my non-stock 430C. Why not just make a "modified" class from the get-go and possibly save yourself a little bit of griping? You'll still have to deal with the griping you'll get when a really good driver in a stock car beats the modified car guys - I love it when that happens.

- Not eager to have tech performed by competitors.

- Why a "feeder series" for the Challenge series? How about something equivalent to IMSA GT3? The Challenge series frankly will have inferior competition to your series if the latter flourishes. FC is a grossly overpriced vanity marque club series, selling it as a step up from a competitive amateur series may be hard to do with a straight face. Call yourself the JV and people may look elsewhere.

- Ferrari is probably not your friend.

- Ego (driver ego) management may be your biggest challenge and the most significant safety issue. Human nature.

Free advice worth, as always, what you've paid for it. Look forward to Sebring.

3. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #3 johnhoughtaling, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    No, the advice is welcome. As I've said from the beginning this series will be run by the owner/drivers, the guys writing the checks. I stepped up to the plate because the politics of FCA was unbearable and others were not looking out for the best interests of us.

I welcome the advice. This series will grow organically and we will adapt with the following goals 1) safety, 2) cost control, 3) fun. The guys that write the checks (the owner drivers) put on the show, and will control the show.

For now, we are doing the necessary foundation work to ensure success this year. On your specific questions I've given answers, but if the membership votes different we will do something different.

As for Tech. A preliminary Tech this year will concentrate on safety, and can be performed by your team providing they are an FCRA pre-approved team. I don't expect team rivalry to be an issue. If it is we can appeal to board members at the event or the chief steward.

Why the attempted cooperation with the FNA? I thought their support would be beneficial. They will greatly benefit from the sale of parts, service, retention of value of the cars, and attracting new drivers. I thought that the only conflict could be solved by taking out the 458, and that may be a small price to pay for cooperation. Many of us enjoy a good relationship with FNA and we want to try to foster that if possible. I have attempted to cooperate with everyone, FCA, FNA and those who host italian car events. The politics of the FCA and others have been "challenging." We will see how it develops for 2012.

For 2011, the FCRA is independent, well funded, carries far more insurance than the FCA, is organized and has amazing support. It will be a great year. The series is growing daily. Next year I believe I could double the sponsor money based upon the feedback.

I welcome the comments; and any help: my email is [email protected]

4. Jaipur native

Jaipur native Rookie

Feb 1, 2010
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Choo Choo
    #4 Jaipur native, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017