FAQ? | FerrariChat

FAQ?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by BwanaJoe, Dec 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Hello to all,

Recently saw a 412 at the local dealer and really like the car. Other than trying to read ever back post, is there an FAQ out there that goes through the differences in the cars? How about pros and cons of each model/version?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not really, but you can get similar conclusions from the same evolution of the carbed 308 to the 328.

412 will have more electronics, painted bumpers and ABS.

365 has knock offs, carbs, "relatively simple" as simple as these big cars get.

400s and 400is are evolutions in between.

Great cars, highly under rated, but get the manual.

3. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Thanks. Are the electronics in the later cars gremlin prone? Hard to find parts for if they break? I am thinking about the electric seats, soft close trunks, touch sensitive switches, etc. By manual I assume you mean the repair manual?

Joe

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not really gremlin prone, but you don't want to try and bring back a car that hasn't been driven much to top condition.

Trim pieces are very hard to find NOS, but there are aftermarket places where you can find the major pieces.

As for the manual, I was referring to a shift it yourself 5-speed...

5. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Ahhh, a MANUAL! Sorry, my mind was in repair mode at the time. I'd love to get a manual shift, but, I'd like my wife to drive it every once and a while and she is a "typical" American driver. She loves the slush box... Plus, the other 2 toys are already manuals.

Thanks,

Joe

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My wife drives our 365 (all of those were manual gearbox cars) with no issues...

7. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Get the automatic. Your wife can drive it with no issues, the roads in FL are mainly flat anyway, right? This car is meant for straight cruising. Even with a 5 speed you're going to be in top gear most of the time anyway.

You'll save yourself some cash with the auto. First at purchase time, and later when it comes to servicing. Bubba at the local tranny shop can work on the turbo 400 on a Ferrari 400i, saving tons of cash. What's a clutch replacement on a 308 run?

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not sure, but I've had the clutch swapped out in the 365 for less than $800.

It's a different car with the manual...

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Erik, $800?!?

That sounds awful cheap, does it just drop down?

Regards,

Art S.

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No, it's pretty involved (you have to take apart the diff). My mechanic charges reasonable rates...

11. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Really reasonable rates! Please tell me you are somewhere very near Florida?

Oh, and my wife CAN drive a manual, she just doesn't like to...

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'm in AL, mechanic is in TN.

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Try both and then decide.

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    For $800 I could probably ship my car round trip and save money compared to Connecticut.

John

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Want his number?

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Tha autobox is fine...

-Peter (closet 400i fan)

17. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Pretty involved? I think that's if you're lucky. When I was under my car last week replacing the starter I was constantly reminding myselft to be gentle on the clutch. It looks like quite a project to me...

Brennan
    '84 400i (manual)

18. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    How did the starter replacement go? I've heard that is a difficult task.

Al
    '84 400iA

19. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I bought a 85' 400i with the auto trans. These cars use the GM TH400 3 speed. If you do go with the auto, you will probably want to take it to a performance tranny shop and have them rebuild it with a shift kit. Also, the auto would be much better with a locking torque converter. The stock unit feels like a loose bucket of slop. If while cruising along you press the gas, but not hard enough for a down shift, the engine revs but the extra power never seems to get to the wheels.

20. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    The starter motor is conveniently located between the block and engine mount - I have a feeling that Luigi had no trouble at all assembling this BEFORE the motor went into the car, but getting to it with the engine in the car is a bit of a chore. You definitely need a lift to do this, but the steps went something like this (all of this is on the right side of the car):

1. Remove batter & tray
    2. unbolt air filter assembly and (gently!) tilt out of the way. I didn't remove any of the fuel lines, so it didn't tilt too far. Just enough. You will have to remove the rubber boot between the air filter and intake.
    3. Remove heat shield around exhaust headers (comes out through the top).
    4. Remove rear set of exhaust headers.
    5. Remove heat shield around starter motor (access from underneath).
    6. Remove wires from starter motor.
    7. Remove starter motor. Easy, huh! Once it was decided that we would have to grind the sides off the wrench, then cut it in half (the wrench, that is), it worked out just fine. The clearance around the stud head is VERY tight, which is only made easier because you can't see what you're doing!
    8. Bolt on new starter and reassemble in reverse order.

I bought the rubber boot from McCann, and the exhaust gaskets from GT Car parts. I was into this project less than $250 start to finish - and now my car starts every time!

Instead of having my original motor rebuilt, I decided to go with one of these: http://hometown.aol.com/martingf/britishstarters.html It doesn't list Ferrari as an application on the website, but it was a bolt-on application. Perfect fit. There are several of us using them locally now, and we are all happy. It 'whines' a bit more than the original motor, but has high torque and low current draw.

That was basically it. I may have left something out. I'd be happy to answer any more questions.

Brennan
    '84 400i #47583

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    When I had my starter worked on several years ago, we found that it was the solinoid that went out. Take it to an old school automotive electrical shop before you go out and buy a new one. Minus the labor, it was something like $90 in parts IIRC.