Fakes | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Occasionally I have imposed my ranting about fakedos to guys on this site. A recent FML lists the carnage from these things in order for a bunch of guys who could not afford them to pretend they could. To create the current inventory of fake GTOs 46 250 GTEs were killed 26 330GTs were killed, 7 250 PF Coupes were killed, 1 330 America (50 cars the total run when new) was killed and 1 250 Lusso was killed. The total of fakes made is 82 (there were 36 real ones made by the factory) That does not count the number of other cars reduced to scrap when their engines were looted to replace broken GTO or SWB 250 motor for racing.

2. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Do you know the chassis number of the 250 GT Lusso ?

3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I count 34 x 330GT, from my data alone, and I am not really following these cars as Kerry is doing such a wonderful job!

Best wishes, Kare

4. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Some were used for more nefarious purposes, such as money laundering, insurance scam or as collateral for bank loans.

Some others were used for racing purposes by the owner of the original GTO.

5. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    I meant to write of course: "by owners of original GTOs"

6. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I have read this many times before but not once have I seen a backing to this story.

Which owners? Which replicas (s/n)? Is there anybody that can give more facts?

Onno

7. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    FML has them all by serial number and fakedo result

8. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    A quick search:

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=lf09&CarID=r188

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Onno, there is also a silver GTO recreation which has passed through at least 4 USA dealerships in recent years, which carries the story that it was built by/for ACB, as a clone of his then 'real' car. Don't know the truth, but that is a consistent story for that car.

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    That story has serious gaps in it.

What comes to 3781, the auction catalogues are filled with entertaining BS to market the cars, so unfortunately NOTHING in there can be quoted as a fact without further evidence. This gets only clearer if you read the small print in back of the catalogue.

I would like to see a picture - one picture - of a fake GTO in real action. Until then I say it likely never really happened.

Best wishes, Kare

11. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I don't know the S/N of the Lusso, but can perhaps shed a bit of light. Back in the day, Walt McCune, retired LAPD Sgt., car dealer and associate of Bruno and Luciano of Modena Sport Cars, set out to build the BEST GTO replica by starting with a Lusso chassis, which he claimed was the closest thing to A GTO. The construction took place at a well-regarded shop in Modena. Unfortunately, the real GTO they were copying in that shop was a poor rebody, so Walt's car came out all wrong, and he had to re-do the body.

12. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    If the replication was improved/redone by Mark Gerish in USA, then this must have been 5319. I have it with McCune in mid 80's and converted into a fake GTO.

Several Lussos have gone down the replica road; which one was listed by FML?

13. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    5319 is the car listed in the FML.
    There are some cars that have been omitted from the list so the number of conversions is greater than 82.

Paul

14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVTTtKfZhlE[/ame]