fairly bizarre 330 on ebay | FerrariChat

fairly bizarre 330 on ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 330 4HL, May 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
  2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I remember this car. Hideous, but could be a nice bargain.

I doubt it will go cheap, though.

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This car was discussed at length in a prior thread on Fchat. It would look much better in the original 4-headlight configuration IMO, but it was done in period and maybe somebody will appreciate it for what it is.

4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    #5 simon klein, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's a bit like this well known Aussie car that had 'an incident',and was rebuilt like this for,I think,the current owner.
    Interestingly,this car was still on the for sale adverts when I was looking for my first Ferrari,in '06.
    I phoned him up and he said 'is that advert still there,I thought I pulled it ages ago,I've decided to hang on to it'

Sorry about the crook pics,this was taken in a freezing Tassie trip,a couple of years ago,the camera actually failed about 30 shots afterwards.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    looks about 100x better than the Mecum Monster...

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #7 El Wayne, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    6537 seems to resurface every few years. I think we might finally be at a point where the market for these cars is strong enough that someone could buy it and return it to the original configuration. Let's hope so, anyway.

7. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    #8 Vincent Vangool, May 31, 2014
    It will be interesting to see what the new owner does with it. Have to wonder what will happen with period re-bodies as values rise and if owners will think is the cars true historic identity.

It seems not long ago that people thought the two headlights were trash. Great to see that changing as I'm sure it will lead to much of what was once destroyed coming back together.

Does anyone know when the re-body was done and why?

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  9. Vincent Vangool

Oct 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    #10 Vincent Vangool, May 31, 2014
    Thanks.

Had read that thread awhile ago. Prob should of searched as I knew the answer existed somewhere in cyber space.

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    From this post (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/136845297-post88.html) in the original thread, it looks like the grill inside the surround was originally black (or dark colored at least) rather than the chrome it is now. IMO, the design works a lot better as it was originally than it does now in chrome. It still looks a bit odd in the old photo, but the design makes more sense when the grill isn't emphasized. Although dark metallic blue is among my favorite colors for a 330, I also feel that the earlier Rubino-esque color worked better with this modified body.

11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    It amazes me that somebody will advertise a car (let alone one for that kind of money) and include such crappy photos. In this case maybe it's deliberate...

12. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I have been exchanging emails with the owner. I'm sure they won't mind me sharing

"A key thing when approaching its restoration in earnest will be to consider how to identify what was a Mecom era mechanical/electrical addition to the original and ensure that his era efforts are not removed (given his extraordinary global prominence in racing/Ferrari lineage). These parts would be non-Factory, likely race grade, and ones that you would wish to preserve. I would recommend your custodians be equally familiar not only with mid-60s Maranello works but also in American (GT40-ish) internals to help sort appropriately without damage.

From an investment optic, I would caution against replacing his items with OEM grade Series I works as his efforts would make a flawless, restored piece more valuable in the market than a perfect, redone Series I. "

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Just what I was thinking.

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Agree completely. If they just took photos outside instead of inside the garage it would look much better. If they reattached the front bumper and painted the inner grill black (leaving the chrome grill surround) as it was apparently originally intended (if that old photo is accurate), the car would present much better and there would be a much better chance of buyers connecting with the unique design. They've done a lot of nice work on the paint and interior, so it's very surprising they haven't taken time to present it better.

15. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Auction ended at USd 141 K so not too high. Did look as though there has been decent work done in terms of paint and interior. Will be interesting to see what happens to it now Ie will it get returned to a 4HL config ??

16. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I hate to say it, but it wouldn't be long in my garage before the side grinder was spinning. I think the top edge of the nose off the hood could work with the lens covers, but I would have to build out the bottom of the nose like the Australian car.

17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    This car can go of of two ways, it can either go back to its original elegant shape or end up in one of those freak-show car collections that Barry Meguire covers in his "Car Crazy" production. I hope it's not the latter. A nicely done 4HL can be a knock-out.

john

18. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree that if you are going to do some "major" restoration, installing an original nose would be ideal.

19. Vincent Vangool

Oct 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Is the basic mindset that this modification detracts from the car historically and value wise?

20. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I don't no about the major restoration part, Eric. I think it should be like if you want to lift your garage door you'd better fix the nose first.

john

21. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Yes, it is my mindset that this modification makes a complete mockery of the master.

john

22. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Yes I think so. The car has been changed And it's quite a radical change. From 4hl to enclosed 2hl. Take a look at the engine bay. Big changes in there as the radiator was modified and something big has changed if you had to move the oil filter location. Looks also like the bonnet was changed. So yes that change detracts from value. I'd bet money that the new owner will change back

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It's disturbing to look at.

24. Vincent Vangool

Oct 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I agree with the mockery.

I just didn't know if in the end there was a place for it in a believe it or not historical context.

Will be interesting to see if the old nose is saved if transformed to 4HL.