F430 spider rear visibility | FerrariChat

F430 spider rear visibility

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sequoia, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sequoia

Sequoia Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    Hello fellows,

I have just purchased my first F430 spider six days ago and I am loving it. However, there is one thing that has been bugging me everytime I have to look through the rear view mirror. I noticed that the visibility from the back is impaired by that middle "window" located in the center, behind the two seats. I guess it is made out of some bluish glass(or acrylic?). Anyways, it seems to be fixed in place and I believe it cannot be removed or lowered.
    Is this normal for this model? Does this "window" tend to get murky or foggy over the years??
    Any ideas on how to get more transparency in that area???
    Thank you ahead of time for your input.

2. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    You can remove the window if you are referring to the glass windscreen. I have. It might be hard to pullup and out, but it is only pressed in to two pin slots on each side.
    If you are referring to the plastic window in the convertible top, there are several postings on various ways to use polish to remove scratches and somewhat cleanup visibility.

3. Porsche911s

Porsche911s Karting

Apr 17, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Lou
    I agree with you. I removed mine two days after purchase. It is easy to remove just pull straight up, it will seem hard , but you can't hurt anything.

4. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    never used mine.
    it is still in its original bag.

5. Rockman1

Rockman1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I have seen a number of comments on this subject. I haven't had as much trouble with mine, though it occasionally does produce a fair bit of glare from the sun. I was thinking of removing it. Two questions - is it that easy? Just pull it out? No neeed for any special sort of tools? And second -- did anyone notice any increase in wind noise or other effects after it was removed? If not I am inclined to remove it.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Works same as 360, I suspect. It's press fit. Pull up straight so as not to bend the pins. As to negative effects, there will be more wind intrusion into the cockpit, especially as speeds rise. Personally, I would not remove it but you can try it out and see if the wind bothers you. If it does, just push it back into place.

On 360s the wind blocker is made of mesh material like you find in the roll hoops, making it difficult to see out back. Another FChat member made a few out of clear acrylic to solve that, but 430s already have a clear piece.

7. John NY-Naples

John NY-Naples Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    New York
    It comes right out. I had it on for one day, and the sun glare was terrible. Plus, it squeaks and rattles. I pulled it out and it's sitting in my trunk. Not sure why I even keep it in the car, when I know I'll never use it.

8. wtlaw

wtlaw Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    SoFLA
    Full Name:
    WT Law
    #8 wtlaw, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Bag??
    Did it come in a bag in Europe ?
    Agree with just pulling it out and store in garage. You will not notice a difference.
    Hate the rattle at highway speed.

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I do not have the middle blocker on my 360. No problem with wind noise with the windows up. I am fine w/o the blocker.

10. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I've left mine in - no squeaks or rattles and doesn't seem to impair visibility, but maybe that's because I just expect visibility to be bad with the top up, especially at night, and it is. Changing lanes at night on a crowded freeway with varying traffic speeds is an adventure.

My 2007 came with a bag for the window.

11. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    I have no issues with mine.

12. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I always have the top down and the rear window (between roll bars) does a fair job reducing cabin turbulence, a bug PLUS for me. Mine is crystal clear and does not seem to adversely affect my rearward visibility. 2006 F430, FL car.

13. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Mine was ok for a while then started to rattle badly especially in a cross wind. One side was completely loose and the other was very tight, couldn't pull it out. Someone here told me to remove two bolts from inside the rear roof well. They were correct and the wind screen came out very easily after removing them. You have to open the top half way to get at the bolts. I'm surprised no one mentioned the bolts in this thread. My car is a 2007 but I don't have a bag for the windscreen. I find very little wind change in the cockpit, although the small amount of backdraft is definitely warm from the engine. Visibility out the back is much better with the top up or down. No glare anymore to deal with.

14. mmollo

mmollo Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2010
    [x] Texas [ ] Maui
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had the dealer take mine out. I did not notice any more wind. It does give a distorted view out the back due to the curvature of the glass. I also did not notice a storage bag for mine on my '08 spider. When it's gone you'll also notice a lot more people taking pictures at stop lights with your new clear view.

15. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #15 yronZFF, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had mine pulled out before I drove off the lot. Pulls straight up ... get a tight grip and give it a firm yank upwards. Reduced glare and much better visibility. I did have a storage bag with my '05 430.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Monza 456

Monza 456 Karting

Sep 15, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Craig Nelson
    Ha ha, both my 430 spider and my 16m came with that bag with the books and records in it. I thought it was an odd shape for those things. Now I know what it's really intended for.

17. DancingBull67

DancingBull67 Rookie

Feb 20, 2021
    Thank just was what I was looking for have a F 430 Spider to detail and coat. The plastic window was really bad and had to remove the windscreen. Just cupped my hand around the screen looked like a fist and give a good straight up pull and it came right out.