F12 Coolant Change | FerrariChat

F12 Coolant Change

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by moorfan, Aug 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hello Friends,
    One of the things that I had wanted to accomplish quickly with my "new to me" F12 was to do a coolant change. It doesn't appear that coolant change is part of the "Ferrari Genuine Maintenance" program, and I believe that it is SO important to the long term health of these cars.

The WSM describes a procedure to drain and refill coolant that is known as a "static fill" method. In addition, the WSM references a need to replace the VESA style clamps on the hoses with "Milakor worm drive" clamps upon reassembly. On my 550, the most effective way to refill coolant was to use the Airlift Uview system and "vacuum fill" the coolant system. I will again do the same here. Several manufacturer websites state that the total cooling system volume for the F12 is 24 liters. I could not find any documentation of what the volume is in the WSM.

In the F12, the first step is to get the car on the lift and remove the extensive undertrays. This is like an hour's job, depending on what kind of lift you have.
    In the F12, the radiator system is different than the 550 in that the radiator is slanted backwards, and sits in the chassis at a 45 degree angle or less. Because of this, the distance between the block and the radiator is significantly longer than any car I've worked on recently. There are multiple hoses involved that travel over a frame member and then connect into both the thermostat assembly as well as the secondary cooling pump. Then there are two more hoses that actually travel from this intermediate step to the radiator itself.

Upon removing the undertrays, I was surprised to find that several of these main cooling hoses were slipping off (Figures 1 and 2). I presume that this is the reason for changing the clamps that Ferrari requests.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

otakki and Solid State like this.
  2. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Getting these VESA clamps off is a real pain. They appear to be one time use clamps, and you have to use a fine flathead to pry the lips up to release the hoses. I was able to get all of the clamps removed, with time and busted knuckles.

The WSM states to remove just the two cooling hoses that lead to the radiator. (Figure 1) Gently wedging a screwdriver in the hose allows you to control the flow of coolant so you don't end up taking an ethylene glycol bath.

I also elected to remove the hoses that connect to the block because they had slipped, and wanted to make sure that I drained as much of the coolant as possible. It is a profoundly messy job, so lay down drop cloths. (Figure 2)

The bottom of the radiator is plastic, and both exit ports appear to have been painted all the way to the edge. Therefore, getting both hoses off those ports resulted in the paint breaking off of the ports and remaining embedded in each hose. (Figure 3). With careful use of a micro flat head screwdriver you can flake this paint off the inside of the hose without any damage to the hose itself.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Solid State likes this.
  3. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Because of splashing it was hard to tell exactly how much coolant came out but it was approximately 3.5 gallons.

There was significant built up corrosion on each exit port that was cast aluminum where the hoses had slipped, so all connections except for the joining pipes (smooth aluminum) and the lower radiator ports (plastic). I presume this was due to slow leak of coolant from these hoses after they slipped. The ports were all gently scraped and cleaned smooth so that they would not do any hose damage.

The complete hose system was reassembled using Mikalor worm-drive clamps. The Mikalor clamps are relatively unique in that they are not typical "slotted" worm drive clamps, they have a smooth metal surface where they contact the hose. I was able to obtain these from a gentleman in England who runs a racing bike business. Figures 1, 2, and 3 show aspects of the reassembled cooling hose system.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

350MH83, Flea7 and Solid State like this.
  4. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The WSM recommends Glycoshell Coolant, which of course I could not find in the US. A similar coolant would be Zerex-G48, which is also basically known as "BMW Blue" coolant. I elected to use this to refill. The WSM recommends a 50:50 mix of coolant with distilled water, and that's what was used (Figure 1)

The Airlift system is a wonderful tool if you have an air compressor. The main valve is inserted into the expansion tank (this tank is now plastic in the F12 so take care not to overtighten the Airlift and crack the port of the tank) and using compressed air a vacuum is drawn into the green zone on the gauge. You then close the valve and make sure the system holds that vacuum (Figure 2)
    The next step is to connect a screened supply tube that you put down into the coolant bucket. Turn the valves, and the system fills itself within 3 minutes. Easy peasy. (Figure 3)
    This refill took just less than 4 gallons of total fluid volume.

350MH83 and Solid State like this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Great write-up. Would the dealer supply the red stuff that's stock with the car?

6. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That’s a good question. Maybe some of them have gotten supplies of this through the factory supply chain, but I know that many independents use the BMW blue coolant.

7. SkipperAndre

SkipperAndre Rookie

Mar 15, 2017
    Thanks for sharing. My Coolant change is coming up shortly. Just did my oil change, and noticed on above picture you seem to have some sort of rubber gasket/protector over the hose/connector leading into the oil cooler. Is this factory or something you have added?

8. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Everything you see there is factory.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You are wise to do the coolant flush. I've done it twice now. Last time was a few weeks ago. Did every fluid including power steering and F1 (diff plus trans) this time. Wasn't cheap. With the V12 warranty it came to nearly $10k and that was with the annual service included as part of last years warranty. I like to spoil her and the dealer has excellent service talent.

10. camshaft

camshaft Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    MA
    Full Name:
    Austin
    Is there any significant advantage to using the Airlift to fill it aside from being able to first pull a vacuum on it to check for leaks?

11. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    My F12 spat about 4 litres of coolant after I parked it on an incline having driven slowly in traffic in 40 degree heat. There happened to be a dealer where I was and they refilled it with Motul Auto Cool - which is a bright orange colour.

12. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I have a source for the Shell coolant if anyone is interested.....they are sold by the gallon concentrated.
    Shell Rotella ELC Ultra

13. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Having a vacuum means the fluid will be drawn in until it fills all the available space. By filling with gravity instead meany parts would not be filled until the engine has run long enough for the thermostat to open and circulate the fluid in all nooks and crannies.

14. qball121

qball121 Rookie

Feb 23, 2021
    What size clamps did you use? Looks like these are available on eBay.