Euro vs. US model 8-cylinder 3x8/Mondial | FerrariChat

Euro vs. US model 8-cylinder 3x8/Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by nathandarby67, Mar 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I was wondering if someone could compare the differences between Euro and US versions of the 8 cylinder "classics". First, how significant are the horsepower differences in each of the four major engine variations (early carbed models, 2V injected, 4V injected, 3.2 liter)? Moreover, exactly what differences in the engine designs are responsible for those differences? Is it all due to external emissions equipment, or are there internal differences such as compression ratios, camshaft profiles, or head design? How easy is it to convert a US engine to "euro spec"? I see that the euro models also tend to be a bit lighter, is this mostly due to the heavier federal bumpers and additional emissions gear?

Aside from the techinical issues, I have noticed that some people tend to be a little more cautious or skeptical about bringing home a euro model. I would think more power and lighter weight would be something that was really sought after. Any thoughts?

2. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Nathan,
    If you do a search you will find all your answers. But I will help you along. I own an '85' Euro 308 GTS QV. There are several things that make it faster than the US version. 1) compression ratio is higher, 2)weighs 287 lbs. lighter than US version due to lack of 5mph impact bumpers, also some don't have cats.
    Some in California have trouble getting tags for the car due to not having all the required paperwork since this is a grey market car that had to be federalized to meet US standards.
    After driving a friends US 308, I am very glad I have the Euro.

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Wow! 287 pounds is significant. I knew those bumpers were heavy, but not THAT heavy. That is like taking a defensive end for a ride, or three cheerleaders. Personally, I would prefer the cheerleaders...just imagine the fun trying to fit all four of you into only two seats!

I tried searching several different keywords, but couldn't find any consistant HP numbers or weights for euro versions.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    As for weight, the 1985 308 QV GTS modded Euro here weights 2795 wet (1/8 gas tank) no driver. NOTE: the car has been modded for track use and uses various lighter bits, but the body is still metal.

As mentioned, compression in Euro is 9.2 whereas the USA version is 8.8 or so. Besides the bumpers, you have inside the doors side impact bars in the US model, and of course all that emissions stuff in the US car. Also, the tranny gearing is different for USA versus Euro. i believe they geared the US version for 0-60 speeds for American taste and due to the emissions stuff sucking out power from the engine. Also, i believe the cam timing is also a touch different for US than Euro, with Euro being more aggressive due to not having to tune down the engine to meet USA emissions. As for gearing...

For Euro it is:

1st gear 1: 3419
    2nd gear 1: 2353
    3rd gear 1: 1693
    4th gear 1: 1244
    5th gear 1: 0919
    Reverse 1: 3248

Cam timing:

Intake OPENS BTDC 16 degrees
    CLOSES ABDC 40 degrees

Exhaust OPENS BBDC 54 degrees
    CLOSES ATDC 10 degrees

Also, i THINK the Euro came std with the deeper front aero. Gauges were in KM and also Bar versus the USA's MPH and PSI (and of course temps gauges in C versus F). HP for Euro is rated at a claimed 240 HP at 7k rpm and a max of 191 TQ at 5k rpm.

Hope this helps. Data obtained from the Euro owners manual here.

5. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    just a quick listing of HP between model years:

1976-1977 US carb: 230-235hp
    1978-1979 US carb: 205hp
    1980-1982 US FI 2v: 210hp
    1983-1985 US FI 4v: 240hp

1975-1980 euro carb: 250-255hp
    1980-1982 euro FI 2v: 210hp
    1983-1985 euro FI 4v: 240hp

i think the HP differences are due to engine internals like compression and cam profiles, so not easily upgradeable for US cars. also, all euro cars are lighter by a couple hundred pounds.

john

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    More problems with a late model Euro because of warranty issues (lack thereof). As these cars get older, the values of US vs. Euro versions are closer. I'm not up on Mississippi DMV regs, but trying to import a Euro into California is a challenge not worth the effort. A Euro model probably has more limited appeal overall because of potential licensing issues. If you are trying to squeeze more performance out of a 308 by worrying about a couple of hundred pounds, you are better off buying a Corvette.

7. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    The Euro versions have a claimed 10 HP or so advantage over the U.S. spec cars. There is a 4 degree difference in the exhaust cam timing according to the workshop manual. There may be some difference in lift as well. There is also a 0.6 increase in compression ratio. As has been already said, there is a noticeable difference in the weight of the cars.

Personally I prefer the Euro model for the simplicity in the emissions system (there is none). Less stuff to break. Since you live in MS registering a Euro model is no problem at all. There are no emissions tests and the DMV computer takes the VIN with very little difficulty.

The downside to the Euro is that some states do have problems with emissions requirements the cars have difficulty meeting. Consequently the market is a little more limited.

8. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Amen. The new Vette will kill any stock 3x8... and probably stock 348 and maybe even a 355 too.

9. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    There are a lot of cars that are faster than a 20+ year old 308. But that was not the reason I bought mine. I love the timeless design, the sound, the heritage and the handling. Plus, according to Ferrari Market letter, there are only about 100 Euro 308's in the US.

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ditto, and keep in mind there is at least DOUBLE the original cost in the 308 here due to many race mods. Please understand i love the 308 here.

11. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    That is all very good news. I wasn't sure on the DMV issue here. I too like the idea of simplicity of no emissions equipment. That has always been the first thing to go on the British cars I have bought.

By the way, I saw a red 360 last night in Jackson with Lauderdale county plates, and either a black or dark blue Mondial Cab driving around Ross Barnett Reservoir last week....would either of them happen to be anyone you know or another f-chatter?

12. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Don't know either of them for sure, but the 360 was likely Dr. Sonny Rush. He was a client of the firm I used to work for and has an extensive collection of cars. He loved Ferrari's and purchased one of the first 355 Spider's when they came out.

The Mondial Cab could be f-chatter Rival. He has a black '87.