Euro spec air injection system | FerrariChat

Euro spec air injection system

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JohnMH, Jul 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    My Swiss spec 91 TR has all the original air injection stuff in place, but I have never confirmed that it still works. Despite this, the car always passes emissions during annual testing (as the car is up to operating temp and the air valves should be closed).

Were I to have some blanking plates made and remove the entire system for the sake of simplicity, would it impact the car’s running when warm in any way?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, but your precats/cats (if so equipped) will degrade more quickly. Do not remove the differential pressure switch if you do this (the way that it's plumbed, the differential pressure switch looks like it's part of the air injection system, but it isn't -- it just shares the same intake vacuum source).

3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks. No precats or cats on this car. Nor an air injection pump. I have the simpler system depicted on digram 15 of the parts book. I am not aware of the location or purpose of the differential pressure switch. Where is it?

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's the round unlabeled thing near the air injection electrovalve 48 on Tav. 14:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/testarossa-tr-90/014-secondary-air-pump-and-lines-(for-us-and-ch88)

It (and it's part number) are also shown as item 82 on Tav. 18, but that conveys virtually nothing about where it is located.

But you must have some sort of modified/oddball '91 CH TR if you have the pumpless air injection system on Tav. 15 -- as '88 and later CH TR have the system shown on TAV. 14.

5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Nope. Do not have that. Yes, the car is a bit odd. 1991 spec, sold new in CH, then lived a while in Oman, then offered to me in near derelict condition in Dubai. I bought it about 12 years ago and brought it back to life. Not originally equipped with either precats or an air pump. Now drives remarkably well and is quite reliable, but for fun I spend far more hours working on it than driving it. I am definitely financially upside down on it, but it continues to teach me so much.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Seems very odd for a "91" -- is it a KE-Jet or K-Jet (i.e., do you have EHAs or WURs)?

7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    KE Jet. No warm up regulators.

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Have you ever decoded the VIN at www.red-headed.com? Seems more like a euro KE-Jet without Lambda TR that maybe had the pumpless air injection system added to be "legal" in Switzerland rather than a factory 1991 CH version.

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Interesting. I just checked that site and it comes up as a Euro KE version. Maybe I am wrong about it being Swiss. I have had the car so long, I forget why I thought it was a Swiss version. I do know the instrument binnacle has a sticker on it 'CH', but as both are metric I think the gauges would be the same as a Euro version.

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What "model year" does it indicate? Having the air injection system added does fit with it being "imported" to Switzerland, but, if a 1991, they got away with something using the pumpless air injection style, but that would make some sense to prefer doing -- being a lot easier/less modification/less parts than adding the pump style air injection.

Another indication would be the engine family marking on top of the block at cyl #6: F113B or F113B000 is a euro KE-Jet without Lambda. A CH version would end ...046 if Ferrari followed their usual convention, and the 1988 CH TR OM shows it being KE-Jet with Lambda and having the pump style air injection style.

11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    That site suggests a 1991 model year. Engine block is stamped F113B, 20382. No evidence of any air pump at any time in the past.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Those make some sense for late euro TR production -- that's a high-ish F113B engine SN. I'm still going with they somehow managed to sneak it into Swiss emission compliance with the pumpless air injection system ;)

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I always wondered what the last TR’s serial number was. Mine must be close.