ESPN Ranks Top 25 Drivers of All-Time | FerrariChat

ESPN Ranks Top 25 Drivers of All-Time

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ferraridude615, May 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    25. Steve Kinser
    24. Nigel Mansell
    23. Don Garlits
    22. Niki Lauda
    21. Shirley Muldowney
    20. Darrell Waltrip
    19. Emerson Fittipaldi
    18. Alain Prost
    17. Bobby Unser
    16. Tony Stewart

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/columns/story?columnist=blount_terry&id=3400774
    http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/columns/story?columnist=blount_terry&id=3403707

They started on Monday and they come out with 5 new ones each day.

Obviously there is an American biased. Also they asked many current drivers who the best is, most said Dale Sr., some said AJ Foyt. However Danica said Schumacher and Senna, she isn't so bad after all.

2. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    :confused: Boy, no sh*t. To have Prost languishing back in 18th behind Unser and Stewart is a joke. You could argue he’s not top ten but, he certainly would be just outside of it.

3. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Cha-Cha ranked in front of Bid Daddy?...Please

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Its from ESPN. consider the source. I'm suprised they even know who Alain Prost is.

5. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I remember a few years ago ESPN was doing top 25 lists for their 25th birthday. They put Schumi at 11 and didn't even include Senna.

6. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    This should get more interesting each day, a driver that makes a living only turning one direction (with the exception of a couple of times a year) better than a 4 time Formula 1 World Champion? I can't wait to see the top 10, I would not be surprised to see old #3 ahead of the likes of Clark, Fangio, Schumacher and Senna, let alone Andretti. Time for some popcorn and beer to watch the rest of this one, it ain't gonna be pretty.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ESPN are idiots. They'll probably have Jim Douglas in the top 5....

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is crap aimed at guess what audience?
    If the top 10 does not include Nuvolari, Fangio, Clark, Andretti, Schumacher and Senna, well....
    While extremely difficult (and a bit silly) to compare across decades and even types of motorsport, my top would be Nuvolari, Fangio and Clark.

9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Wow i'm impressed by danica's comments. The rest is total garbage. ESPN = worst racing coverage ever I'm surprised they even listed a single F1 driver. The only Nascar driver I'd put anywhere near that list is Jeff Gordon.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #10 PhilNotHill, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
    Sheer genius IMVHO.

BTW Muldowney (sp?) and many other drivers (NASCAR) couldn't compete with any F1 WDC, not one.

11. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Why are drag racers on there at all? They don't turn AT ALL!
    OK maybe Garlits.

12. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That list makes me want to vomit. Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell behind Tony ****ing Stewart? Ridiculous on so many levels. However, good on Danica for the sensible comment.

13. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    After seeing where Prost is rated, I don't have to guess that Gilles won't be on the list. Danica not buying into it and stating the obvious is nice. Hope she does well this weekend.

ESPN. The source for racing info.

14. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    If Stewart lost some extra ballast it's said he might be quick in a single seater.

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #15 RP, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
    Here I go again, but most of you have probably not heard of Curtiss Turner. This guy's car control would make Michael Schumacher or Senna seem like a geriatric Sunday drivers. Just because a driver choses to race in NASCAR, or USAC, SCCA, IMSA, or anything other than F1, does not make them second rate. Car control is just as important, maybe more so, in high speed oval racing as it is in road racing. Being a WDC does not make one the best race driver on earth, just lucky. As we have discovered, coming from F1 does not make one an instant success in NASCAR or IRL. And I would rank AJ, Mario, and Dale Sr right up there for excellent car control at speed. Dale Sr, was incredible to watch. But Darrel Waltrip? Bobby Unser? What is with the straight liners?

I have to give credit to Tony Stewart. He and Jeff Gordan both drove and won in sprint cars. You can not comment about a race driver's skills until you have watched a few sprint car races. That takes great skill and very large balls. Either one of them, after losing a few pounds, could probably do well in F1. As for Gilles Isabelle, let me make the unpopular but honest comment, he was fast, fun to watch, but absolutely wreckless, and he killed a few spectators and finally himself. Somehow, I do not see the glory in that. Nor the skill. Skill requires that you stay alive.

At the end of the day, this ESPN list is biased and useless.

16. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
  17. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    But does that really make them a subpar driver? Let the F1 drivers try Nascar. Oh, that's right, they have.

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #18 Whisky, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    I have a lot of respect and admiration for Nigel Mansell.... but sorry - not top 25.
    Top 100 - yes-maybe - which in itself is a great feat when you consider ALL drivers from ALL types of motorsports - but not top 25.

As far as Tony Stewart vs. Nigel Mansell goes -
    I'll take Tony.
    Tony stirs up s***, whereas Nigel just insults people.

PS - let the nascar drivers try F1 - I'd love to see Jeff Gordon, Robby Gordon, Kyle Busch, Tony and a whole bunch of others in F1 - it might just make F1 EXCITING again, dontcha think ??

Tifosiron - we are beating our heads against the wall, sir. (PSS - you left out Paul Goldsmith, along with Turner)
    Most folks here simply cannot understand open wheel vs. 'stock' car are two totally different animals.

I always love hearing the comments from young racers that say Moss, Von Tripps, Fangio, Nuvolari et al were 'the best' - never mind the
    persons making those comments NEVER saw them race in-person OR on film.

19. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Exactly!!!

20. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    +1

According to Williams, Gordon actually did surprisingly well when he drove the 2003 Williams F1 car at Indy.

21. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Prove it. Either you show some proof, or you're biased, trying to defend the stock car guys- oddly enough because nobody here is insulting them.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Gordon is a cut above the other NASCAR drivers.

23. Pirate75

Pirate75 Karting

Feb 19, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    JT
    Bottom line, this is a Bull**** survey. You cannot compare drivers from different series. You could only compare how they dominated their competition. Although I agree that F1 drivers have the most talent, nobody would ever know how any driver would do on any circuit. And the fact they have not tried it does not mean they couldn't win. Would Kimi dominate on Nascar, would Gordon dominate in F1? Who knows, and who cares, they never tried. ESPN is a bull**** network that doesn't even cover racing. Let them stick to baseball and hockey...

24. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Mansell and Lauda got beaten by chic! :) Prost, a 4 time WDC could only manage 18th. This list is a joke

25. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    #25 JH, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    Well, take a look at what happens at ROC every year? The American drivers(team usa) gets beaten BAAD by Schmumi and the likes every year.

EDIT:
    I have respect for all kind of Msports, be it rallying, nascar, drag, F1 or whatever. But F1 seems to be the top of the pop, where the most money are, and the hardest car and circuits to master. That is the place where its most difficult to get in, even get close to driving these cars to their limits. Only a very few people master it, and those should really be the top drivers of all time. That's why I would say that the F1 drivers should dominate that list from those criterias.