Escalating WA tab renewal fees | FerrariChat

Escalating WA tab renewal fees

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Nader, Oct 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Just got my first renewal notice for my meager 348, and I'm a bit shocked to see it's over $500. It's that new 1.1% RTA tax. I recall these kinds of fees were knocked down around '00 by Tim Eyman's initiative. I arrived to this state in '01, and just missed the prior high fees. What were they like back then?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I just looked in my old check registers and found the fees for the tab renewals (Washington) for my 348 from 2003-2007. They range between $65 and $80 per year. I think I bought it in 2001.

3. Wannarace

Wannarace Rookie

Apr 6, 2017
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    My tabs were just over $2,000 this year thanks to the RTA... I am probably not going to renew my tabs next year and just buy a stack of 3-day trip permits.

SingleClutch likes this.
  4. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I think a lot of people in recent years have bought expensive cars they can barely afford, only because they can finance them out for many years. Similar to subprime lending for mortgages before that last crisis. This tax is going to be a painful shocker for these people when their tab renewals come due. Like a balloon payment on an adjustable rate mortgage. I predict backlash, and renewed support for Tim Eyman’s initiatives.

5. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
  6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Seattle instituted an $80 road tax not long ago on car tab renewals. This is on top of the RTA....

7. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Good thing I setup the 308 with Classic Tags.

This seems to be an ongoing thing. Tags get too high and then they restructure the base fee to something more reasonable, but then more fees get added on top of the base fee and it crawls back up to where it was.

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Good thing I live outside the RTA zone!

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Unfortunately my 348 still needs 5 more years befor being eligible for YOM plates.

My 400i has YoM plates though, as well as all of my other cars pre-1988. I have two 1988 cars and they'll get YoM plates asap, although one of them I'll probably sell before then. (88 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde 3.0)

10. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Are you writing about tags or tabs? I've never heard about car "tabs."

11. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
  12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yeah, tabs is such a stupid name. Always hated that.

Started when Washington used to use metal "tabs" showing the year that used little metal tabs to attach to the plate. 1952, 53, 54, etc.

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Disagree.
    Sometimes people simply get to the point of resisting yet another tax on top of the previous tax-on-top-of-the-previous...etc.
    When WA chooses to use the taxes to build/repair our infrastructure, not provide free tents to homeless people, then I'll pay the tax without irritation.

SingleClutch and Flea7 like this.
  14. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    tritone......don't forget "safe places" & free needle exchange :rolleyes:

15. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
  16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Come on guys! Don't you want to pay your fair share?

tonyswfla likes this.
  17. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    The fee's also can be different in other counties. Each county and even city's can level small taxes. I.e. Seattle wants an income tax for millionaires. Registration fee's fund things like weigh scales and state inspection centers. I'm not a snob. But the other day I was getting new tires in Bellingham. A young lad was buying two new tires on his Mercedes. He thought the $79 was for both new Michelin tires for the rear. When he found out it was each. He had them put one back. Against the advice of the owner of the shop..... It does freeze here at night. I want the state to have the ability to ticket him for safety "violations" and have a state inspection center that verifies it is fixed. Plus it makes the state fix pot holes before they ruin my rim. I like emission testing. Less junk cars on the road..........

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I disagree. The last thing we need is an "inspection" center. emission testing is a scam...... state regulations are just money grabs. It's not junk cars that endangers us it junk drivers.....and we have a lot of those on the road here and everywhere. RTA, light rail, ST are criminals....law breakers.....theives.

......just my opinion.

jcurry likes this.
  19. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Part of what gets me is the millions spent 10 years ago on multiple "studies" to determine if monorail or light rail would be better. And this was before any ground was ever broken. Furthermore, I had the good sense to live close to where I work, so my commute is 3 miles of surface streets. Hence, all this traffic abatement means nothing to me; I'll never use it, and really don't want to pay for it.

Flea7 and Il Steeg like this.
  20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Tolls on I-405 didn't meet the requirement to keep it in place but I guess it doesn't matter to WDOT. They are ignoring the laws and agreements in place.
    You want these criminals to run a "inspection" center.....**** NO!

SingleClutch, jcurry and Il Steeg like this.
  21. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Weigh stations are inspection centers. Junk cars driven by people that shouldn't have a license. My SIL is Chinese middle class. She is 45. In Hong Kong she paid for her license. No testing. She had never driven a car until she came here at 36. But she has a Hong Kong drivers license. So she just exchanged it for ours. No testing, no questions. Say she can only afford a crap box. So suddenly she is learning how to drive on the go. In a car not fit for the road. I want police too issue fix it when they find safety violations. Bad brakes can cause pulling. Bald tires are a safety concern. I want a state run inspection for these to get dangerous vehicles and "people" off the road. If they don't prove that they fixed it. They just keep doing unsafe things.

22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    That's a licensing scam...which is ran by the state....see my point? They give licenses to any one with an address without question of qualifications....this includes residency of state and country. Take the junk drivers off the road they are more dangerous. The operators are what causes majority of accidents.

23. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Plus they register you to vote, no questions asked. What a wonderful system. :rolleyes:

Flea7 likes this.
  24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Seattle does want an income tax...and not for millionaires, unless you think earning $250k per year ranks you as a "millionaire". Regardless, it is illegal on two fronts. It has been repeatedly found that a tax on income is against our state constitution by our State Supreme Court, and we have a law against it in the Revised Code of Washington:
    RCW 36.65.030
    Tax on net income prohibited.

A county, city, or city-county shall not levy a tax on net income.

SingleClutch and Flea7 like this.
  25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1. Our state had been out of compliance with the Federal Real ID act for 12 years or so...they keep giving extensions to our state, when all we need to do to be in compliance is have a two tiered licensing system. One license for those that can prove citizenship and one for those that refuse or cannot. But I don't think our politicians want a license that brands those illegally in the country in our state as such...But at some point, they are going to realize they cannot keep stalling on the inevitable. In the mean time, I have to carry my passport with me whenever I enter a military installation for work, cause unlike the TSA, they are no longer granting extensions and will not accept a WA State drivers license as valid ID, other than proving you are legal to drive.

Flea7 likes this.