ENGINE SWAPS IN MODERN CARS | FerrariChat

ENGINE SWAPS IN MODERN CARS

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bostonmini, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    anybody know if this still works? it may have been easy when everything was mechanical, but Im wondering for example, if the new M5 is so perfect, yet, you want a 6 spd and hate the body of that car, why not drop the V10 into an E39 body? could that feasibly be done if the parts were cheap enough?

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The newiest generation of engines makes this harder and harder. OBII, the array of sensors, etc. It can get rather annoying very quickly. In other words its much easier to do a swap of a M70 into a E34 then a S58 swap then a new V10 swap, for the above reasons.

Side note, I want to put the M73 V12 into my old 633..:) one of these days.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    How KICK ASS owuld that be? :D From the outside, it doesn't seem like it would be so terribly complicated...

--Dan

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I researched it a bit. The M73 and the current S series of M engines (pre bangle era) are pretty straight forward in doing a swap. Everything fits so to speak, though I will (obviously) need custom engine mounts for the larger dimension engine. The auto trany fits in the tunnel, but saddly no matching 6 spd does (the ZF I believe used on the 850CSi is too large to fit the tunnel)

I will need a custom differential setup on the back. Same with exhaust.

In terms of weight bias, If I recall somewhere I read the alluminum M73 is in fact the same weight as the old solild cast I6 block of the 80s. That said with all the pref. added on I am worrying about a front weight bias. Will move some of the non essentials to the truck like the battery. Well we will see when it comes. I will use a scale and try to keep it as 50/50 as possible, even if that means heavy duty weight addition in terms of a roll cage and such, which shouldnt matter too much, as I do not intend this to win drag races.

Basicily for the parts I need I need a wrecked E38 750iL. Find me a rear ended one for a decent price and I can start this little mess...:)

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    people swap engines all the time.
    vintage mini coopers with integra enginers
    datsun 510s with sr20det motors, or rb26det motors
    318ti hatchbacks with e36m3 engines
    miatas with v8s
    datsun 240z's with ls1 engines, etc
    ptg and hamman have both put the current v8 from the m5 into the e46 m3
    and, hammann has also fitted a 540i with a v12.
    some are harder than others, but people are shoe horning motors all over the place

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    auraraptor,
    the v12 will fit your chassis however the bigest problem will be the exhaust manifolds or headers depending on how you go. the steering will be in the way, not that it can't be done but it requires alot of customization. i almost went that route with an old E12 but sold the V12 in favor of a late model M5 motor. the other issue depending on state guidlines is the emissions, in ca they required that i bring the entire emissions specs up to the date the engine was so in my case that was going from 1977 to 1988 and that created a host of issues with the fuel system. it cost me a grand total of 60k to do an engine swap, interior and paint. but boy was that one hell of a sleeper.just make sure you have the time and paitence, it took me just short of 5yrs to complete.
    do it do it do it do it!!! you'll be happy when its done and make sure you keep a journal with pics, becouse you could sell the process when done. re-coupe some cost.

7. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Also, folks have been known to swap larger motors from similar vintage 911s (996?) into Porsche Boxsters.

Apparantly, having a 911 motor swap done by a independent cost only a bit more than having the original engine replaced by the dealer.

-art