348 - Engine-out service labor hours | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Engine-out service labor hours

Discussion in '348/355' started by Donkeykong87, Nov 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Good advice, thank you!

2. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Yes this is what I mean, do some research, its all out there to be had......This forum is very helpful. But there is this perception that a mere mortal cannot work on a Ferrari, this is not true.

I took my pulley to have the fence welded, and my engineer/welder wouldn't do it, he said the materials of the fence and the pulley are very different, and also very different in mass, it can be done, but it would not be strong, it would end up being brittle and he wouldn't want to put his name on it working outside the box like that.
    He basically got a centre punch, and ran around the flange punching into it to spread the flange, now there is no way it can come loose or fall off.
    I have seen some pictures with some very poor welding/braising ....

3. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    ***UPDATE***

Just wanted to provide an update...

After my mechanics bout with Covid, then his family members bout with Covid, Flu twice...I finally got my car back over the weekend!

Obviously it took more time than expected, but everything worked out great! Pulley fence was nicking the timing belt, fraying the side of it, bearings were making noise, water pump was leaking, small oil leak in the rear. Everything was addressed, no leaks now, runs really smooth, sounds great, drives great...I really couldn't be happier.

I'll continue taking it to my guy from here on out as long as I own the car. He said it was really straight forward and anything he needed to know additionally was readily found here and on YouTube as a resource.

So there you go...they don't magically explode, you don't have to be an Italian citizen to work on one, at the end of the day you're servicing a V8. Clearly you need to have a competent person doing this, but yes, a Master BMW tech can do this job with no problems.

I pray I'm not here with a post about my engine blowing up this summer...but so far so good at this point.

A348W likes this.
  4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    How big an issue are these pulley fences on the f119? Is there a way to check them for cracks or do they just suddenly let go?
    Are there after market pullies that are better?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It happens. They are not a big issue that happens all the time. Like insurance, you buy it hoping to never need it.

6. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Having just done my 348 major I chose to have a friend who is an aviation certified welder tack weld all the fences on the cam drive pulleys. Only at 3 small spots 120 degrees apart (just in case). I really think that the few failures of this type are more than likely self induced by mis handling or hammering on these parts and inadvertently knocking a fence loose during maintenance. Watching some U tube videos regarding this subject I see too much "hammer and prybar" application by novice mechanics........

KevZep likes this.