348 - Engine-out service labor hours | FerrariChat

348 Engine-out service labor hours

Discussion in '348/355' started by Donkeykong87, Nov 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I've got the major service kit from Ricambi showing up later today to be installed by my indy-mechanic who is a retired master tech from BMW.

We can't seem to find any labor hours for this service. Do any of you guys know a round-about time frame in labor hours for pulling and re-installing the engine?

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It all depends. As far as Indy mech, there are many tribal knowledge items about these cars that master mechanics would not know, its not a function of their mechanical aptitude its a function of familiarity. I would do it myself or heavily supervise and direct someone else over a BMW or Porsche or GM master mechanic who has never done one.

If you've never done it and don't know it and have to figure it out, figure 7 hours to pull 7 hours to put back.
    If you do it all the time figure 1.5 hours to pull 3 hours to put back.

Here is a time lapse without a lift etc

mr308gtb likes this.
  3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I did mine in 30, out to in, including removing the oil pan and doing the chain sliders and block bearings, and degreeing the cams.

It'll be faster next time.

sjd

4. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Thank you guys, that's some good info!

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think book rate is 40 hours for the 348, especially if you are painting the valve covers and replacing valve shims. A good experience tech can do it faster but that does not affect the book rates. If your BMW tech has not done a 348, expect that job to take more than 40 hours. BMW valve timing has factory tools and cam marks where everything is done in one shot. Ferrari timing has degree wheel and dial indicator and you do it four times.

bcar1, Ricambi America and fboutlaw like this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My hour estimate was just pulling and re-installing not the work work in-between as you asked "labor hours for pulling and re-installing the engine"

Total time as a general figure 40 hours is often quoted for the full service. Then its on either side depending on experience and what comes up. Things always do.

7. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Yes, I was looking more for just the engine portion on time. With the engine actually out everything else that needs done is pretty self explanatory without having to dig around and work, it’s all out in the open.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not sure how much, but a good portion off failures happen shortly after a major. One 355 had the engine completely rebuilt, pistons etc and it blew up right after that so now it is in for a second time. I'm sure it will be fine I am just mentioning as you can be sure everyone of them thought it was done right. it all seems easy but there are Ferarisms.

9. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    As Eric alluded to above, you’re taking a risk here. I would not pay anyone to do this work who does not have a proven track record with the task.

To answer your question - experienced/reputable shops in my area spend about 35-40 hours/$5k~ in labor for the service.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My records for my 355 show a Ferrari dealer charged 29.6 hrs to R&R the engine, replace timing belts and tensioners, thermostat, and cam seals, plus 11.4 hrs for the basic 15k service (fluids, accessory belts, plugs etc). So 41 hrs.

11. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Very helpful, thank you!

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Is not the first time, and won't be the last.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Pretty sure there is scientific evidence of a major costing 25K out there. Working backwards that's like 150+ hours. o_O

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    THat would involve a valve job and maybe a liner or two.

15. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I think I saw that nonsense, well didn’t watch, but saw lol

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Really... the video stated 25K before they had all the mishaps. I am saying that video series was planned fraud. All for a WHOOOOOOOLE other tropic I digress.:mad:

BTW Johnny, when you do get it done post back how it went etc, good experience to document for others using similar non non Ferrari guys.:)

17. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I most certainly will. I already dropped the car off last Thursday for him to start pulling the engine...so the “I wouldn’t do that route” advice is already past that point.

My options are EXTREMELY limited where I live, so I only have so many choices. A BMW master mechanic seemed to be the safest bet. I’ve been reading thread after thread of you guys doing this in your garages, I figured him and a lift would be the route to go.

I suppose we shall see, I’ll update you guys either way...I just hope I’m not the cautionary tale.

QSA likes this.
  18. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    You'll be fine. I'm a BMW/ Benz tech and I did my own engine out on my 355 without a problem. As long as he takes his time and reads up on things he is unsure of before buttoning up the job. This forum is such a wonderful tool to help with the confidence level and so many guys on here ready and willing to help when called upon.

19. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Do the water pump as well, who knows when it was last done. They don't include the water pump in the major service kit.
    Also do the oil pump chain tensioner and the timing chain tensioner as well.

I am a mechanic with no previous Ferrari experience, and I did the Major + extras on my 348, it is not that difficult at all for an experienced mechanic, its just a quad cam V8 engine, yes its a Ferrari but at the end of the day there is no voodoo to it. There is enough information out there on the inter-web which will guide you along.
    I have done over 3000 miles on my one since I did the service in late April/early May, its running really well.......

plugzit and steved033 like this.
  20. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Thanks for posting, makes me feel much better. I did get the water pump, figured while I was there I might as well.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Guess it depends on who you know. Of course, this was in 2013.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    oh...in that case...5-6...WAY faster if I had a lift.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sjd

Cirorsi likes this.
  23. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    A friend of mine who runs a workshop estimate 31 hrs to do a engine out-in with cambelts and about 3 hrs per side for replacing the valve cover gaskets.

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No voodoo no, but things to be aware of. Tack pulley fences, check idle bracket for cracks, you can crack it install ing it too, make sure pulley fences face correct way it's different on each bank, tsbs to look at for leaking o-rings on the cam seals etc. No voodoo but spending lots of time reading or experience fills in the gaps. Jumping in without doing a lick of reading is not a good idea is all.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

steved033 likes this.
  25. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Seconded. I did mine in Jan 2019, and have had 3000 miles of pretty much trouble free running.

Double check your electrical plugs, make sure they're seated. Seems my cam sensor plug worked itself loose. I can recall a day where I went for a ride, it sputtered and ran like a total mess...but can't remember when that was. I turned it off, restarted, everything ran fine then, but seemed a little rich. I have test pipes, so it's always been a little smelly...but it was definitely running richer. Found the plug disconnected on an oil change, plugged back in, ran in the same crappy fashion as previous, did an ECU reset, runs great now. I'm Motronic 2.5.

sjd