engine coolant on a 412, bleeding? | FerrariChat

engine coolant on a 412, bleeding?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by lazaruslong, Feb 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    I've only found one tap to drain the radiator, is that all there is to drain the entire system? Is it necessary to purge the system for air pockets? If so, how is it done?

2. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Does the cooling system have to be bled in some special way when it is filled? If so, what is the procedure?

I was trying (still) to diagnose my head gaskets yesterday. I was trying to see if I was losing compression into the cooling system by revving the engine to see if I got any bubbling in the radiator. I would rev the engine, and the water level would go down. Let off, it comes back up. Totally the opposite of what I was expecting/fearing. Is the pump drawing the water in faster than it puts it back? This is all very strange.

3. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    I've found the answer to my own question. Happened to find an Italian Ferrari mechanic while i was in Paris. He said that there are no bleeder screws on that engine. You just drain her, fill her up, put the heater on max, keep the radiator cap open, start her, after warming up rev her up a little to keep the circulation going, fill her up. Thats all there is to it.