Electronic ignition on a 400GT | FerrariChat

Electronic ignition on a 400GT

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by lecciagelata, Oct 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lecciagelata

lecciagelata Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    FRANCE
    Hi Ferraristi! this may help some of you who suffered the same pain.

I had a hard time with my 400GT automatic with a bad ignition system and I asked for some help on this forum and some nice guys gave me some advices, but all they proposed gave little success. The car started and runned badly while everything was new (plugs, ruptors, condensator).
    Finally, I installed two electronic ignition modules (one per distributor) and the miracle came through. When everything was mounted, I turned the key and the engine started at the first try and runned like it never did, probably since it was born (1976). It's a great pleasure to drive my beautyfull car with its engine roaring and accelarationg without any hole.
    The modules called IGNITRON contain a quite simple circuit where a microprocessor takes into account several parameters. The high tension is furnished through a MOS-FET transistor. The traditional ignition system is conserved but only a low voltage goes through the ruptor, which enhances its life time. The module are small (like a big matchbox) and invisible under the hood. I can give more details if needed.
    I CAN TELL YOU I AM HAPPY!

Ak Jim and dedo tanzi like this.
  2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Sounds good. Nice job!

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i would welcome as much detail as you are prepared to offer.

thanks,

brett

4. Ken1982

Ken1982 Rookie

Mar 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ken Tax
    Hi, any news after all those years? Still happy with your system? Br

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I do have such system in my "daily" driver (1982 Renault 5 tx auto). The only real benefit is reduced distributor wear, and slightly better idle (my module does generate multi-sparks at low speed which allows me to use colder plugs).

There is absolutely no change in terms of timing, and my module does not allow beefier ignition coil. Usually, these modules cannot be jump-started. A toggle switch allows to revert back to standard ignition. Mine is not sold anymore (Brand was perleor), but plenty of alternative available for approx €50.

At the end of the day, the system is cheap, requires less maintenance, but do not expect any performance increase. On a 400 I would rather invest on a petronix system.