Ebay Daytona Spyder | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ebay Daytona Spyder

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by gsm348, Feb 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Thanks for posting a photo of my car, but its not for sale :) It was converted by Autokraft in 1978 in the UK.

I can report that owning a (properly) converted spider is more than enjoyable, provided you can live with scuttle shake and elevated noise levels. My car is well reinforced but the extra weight is not at all noticable when driving and the handling unaffected. I have no trouble staying with 365GTB's on fast twisty roads. There is no buffeting in the cabin and the roof is leak free.

I would be horrified at the idea of someone cutting a berlinetta today, but owning one that was violated 30 years ago is OK by me and allows the unique experience of a RHD spider at a fraction of the cost.

2. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
  3. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    3692 miles is roughly 5907km, could that be the mistake and nothing too sinister??

4. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Harrah's car is a USA car, the odometer should be in miles.

Here's the reality guys, it takes all of 30 seconds to disconnect the speedometer cable from the transaxle in a Daytona. And people did it all the time. My personal mechanics have great stories from when they worked at Ferrari dealers of constantly having to reconnect the speedometer cable on Daytonas. Then the same car comes back in a year or so later for quick service and the speedometer cable is disconnected again.

There is at least one, supposedly super low mileage Daytona that was worked on locally that we laughed when it sold with reportedly ultra-low miles. The mechanic that worked on that car said it had at least 20K miles on that car.

The FML letter either made a mistake in printing the wrong mileage (I know of another Daytona Spyder where they did that), or the ex-Harrah car entered what my mechanics refer to as "the time tunnel" when odometers get altered, or the entire speedometer gets replaced. This is very common with 288 GTOs. I've purchased two GTO speedometers with around 8K miles on each one. The dealer selling them said the owners wanted new ones to keep the mileage down. You didn't really think that all GTOs for sale are under the magic 5K mile mark.....

Illegal. Sure. Does it happen, you bet.

Oh, one last thing, it was common for restorers back in the day to reset the odometer to zero if they restored the car. I've seen this several times. The paperwork didn't hide the real mileage, but each time the odometer was set to zero when the full restoration was completed.

Steve

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    http://www.goodingco.com/auctions/catalogues/pebble06/lot49b.html

The pictures don't do it justice. And the best part is that it's not a pristine car. It's got some evidence of use that just adds to it - at least for me, who drives my cars. When you get up close and look at it and touch it, you can feel all of the miles and the aura this car has. It's totally a car that you can get in, warm up, and haul ass with. I love it.

6. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    HEY GUYS I WAS JUST AT THE FERRARI MUSEUM ON 2/23/07 AFTER A FACTORY TOUR, THERE IS NO DAYTONA OF ANY KIND AT THE MUSEUM, RED CALIFORNIA SPYDER, DINO COUPE,YELLOW 275 GTB, RED BOXER, RED BARCHETTA(550) BOTH 599'S THAT DID THE 20K MILE TOUR AND A BUNCH OF GRAND PRIX CARS FROM 52 ON..

7. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    HELLO, at the Ferrari museum the display isn't static it is constantly changing with different models and layouts.