Ebay Daytona Spyder | FerrariChat

Ebay Daytona Spyder

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by gsm348, Feb 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    wow. thanks for that...truly unique!

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I bet the bids stall at $720,000 and the reserve is set at ONE Million.

3. akml

akml Karting

Nov 2, 2004
    philadelphia
    Yes, color scheme not my favourite imho

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    an amazing survivor with unobtainable original factory documentation. simply amazing.

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Maybe more like two Million for that reserve price figure...

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    if you click on the ad link, it has an asking price of $1.25 M

He also states that they have had unsolicted offers in the vicinity of $1.2 M

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

We are looking at possible the finest example on the planet. Who cares about the color?

8. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Another Daytona Spyder has already gone for $1.2M. Still, if someone has offered $1.2M for this car, they should take. And, regardless of what is written, this is nothing like the show car, 12581. And, no, that car is not lost either.

Steve

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's certainly not the lowest mileage one, unless someone has been driving 17073 a great deal recently!

10. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    "this is nothing like the show car, 12581. And, no, that car is not lost either".

The Frankfurt Show Car and prototype was #12851. It is in Germany for almost 15 years.

Regards

Wolfi

11. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    Ebay sometimes makes you shout at the screen...Both Shill288 & Dr. Zweifler are correct, The 1969 Frankfurt Show Car # 12851 is NOT lost, It survives and lives happily in Germany in original condition, wearing Giallo Fly paint with a Nero interior.

Argento

12. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    The curse of the low mileage car. What do you do with it?

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Thats kind of a contradiction. What makes the car really special is the low miles isn't it?

14. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "What makes the car really special is the low miles isn't it"

I understand his point. A year or so ago I paid a premium for a very low mileage F40. If I drive it, that premium goes away. If I don't drive it, I derive far less pleasure from it. The answer, if you're a driver who likes perfect cars, is to pay up then just drive it. I recall Jay Leno saying something to the effect that he likes to restore them to 100 points then drive them down to the 30s.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think you could make a case that what makes the car special is the history, which so far is mainly a history of low miles and documented ownership.

So, what you really should do is make some new history with it! Set a new cross country record, win a vintage race, drive a princess around in it, take it to glamorous locations and do glamorous things with it!

(And take pictures!)

Make it so that it's known as the ex-Harrah, ex-Glassman Daytona spyder!

That's what you do with it. And don't worry about the depreciation! Do you think Harrah worried about depreciation? I strongly doubt it. Neither should you. Life is too short to be worried about depreciation. When you're on your deathbed, will you'll be thinking "gee, I'm sure glad I didn't drive that Daytona spyder I had, so I could sell it for an extra $250k?"

Of course not. You'll be remembering the time you drove from New York to San Francisco in 29 hours 53 minutes on a bet. With the top down and some famous beauty alongside.

End of rant.

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Personally, I think that the colour is great. Sure, it's not black on tan, red on black, or another classic Daytona colour but it's cool and I think that it's a great part of the car.

In my opinion, the greatest Daytona that I've ever seen was also a Bill Harrah car - his copper coloured Daytona hot rod. If I every buy a Daytona, that's the one that I want to own.

17. Daytona Drew

Daytona Drew Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #18 Daytona Drew, Feb 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There was a Daytona Spider (later conversion) for $250,000. If the body work is good, then I'll settle for that. The eBay car is currently at $667,000 as of this time.

I heard the Daytona Spider in Miami Vice was a kit car, but the credits have a car coming from Ferrari North America. Anyone know for sure?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Hmnn... I thought the Vice car was a kit car too.....I think it was. They must have used a real one in the close-ups hence the credit to FNA...??

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The Miami Vice car was a kit car. FNA couldn't have provided a Daytona Spyder in the 80s if they'd wanted to.

FNA DID provide the Testarossa which was used in subsequent seasons.

If it was first season, maybe the credit was to thank FNA for not suing them.

20. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Anyone have some photos of the Harrah hotrod?

21. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    FNA could provide a Daytona today for such purposes if they wanted to. Ferrari keeps examples of past cars..... I agree that they probably didn't though..

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Which Daytona spyder does FNA own?

23. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Ferrari has a lot of cars in their museum - it wouldn't surprise me if they had one... You seem to know a lot - so do they?

They did use a real Daytona Spyder in some of the shots of Miami Vice...it was used in the pilot and from time to time during shooting.

24. rcm360

rcm360 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Reese
    They also used several replica TR's as camera cars/stunt cars. The Daytona was a McBurnie replica with an auto trans.