Driver's License Problems | FerrariChat

Driver's License Problems

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by jeff, Nov 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Anyone here work for and knows someone who works for the DMV? Here's my problem. I have houses in more than one state and I live in Colorado part time. My cars in Colorado have Colorado plates, registration, and insurance. My driver's license is from another state. The State Police tell me I need a Colorado driver's license but Colorado is not my main residence. How do I get around this sticky issure? I know I'm not the only person in Colorado with more than one residence. Heck, 90% of the people in Aspen live somewhere else. Any suggestions?

2. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    You are only required to have a license on the state that is your permanent residedance. As long as you can prove that you live 80% elsewhere then you dont need it. (but then your cars should be titled in only 1 state)

-a

3. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hey, -a, put a lawyer out of work why don't you! Are you gonna represent him in court too?

4. Bob L. Head

Bob L. Head Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 26, 2005
    Everybody has a primary residence, a town, county and state in which they pay their federal and state income taxes, do their banking, etc, register their cars, etc.

Reading this thread, I have to wonder why an AZ resident tags his cars in CO. Oh, let me guess...$$$$$$ And if I'm right, then it looks like playing both sides of the fence has caught up with him.

The most disgusting example of this that I'm aware of is a titanium 360 owner who is an airline pilot, living in Vail, CO...with Wyoming (tax free state) plates.

5. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    haha Jim I will leave that to you :)

-a

6. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Bob
    You've misread my question. I'm not saving any money with Colorado plates. It's the correct thing to do. My cars are here and they should have Colorado plates, title, registration and insurance. My cars in California have Calif plates and my cars in Florida have Florida plates and my cars in Arizona have Arizona plates.
    My question was about my driver's license. Federal law states that a person can have only one driver's license. I have multiple residences in multiple states and have one license. A Colorado State trooper said I needed a Colorado license if I owned, worked, or lived in the state. He said I could be given a ticket for not having a Colorado driver's license. My problem is that Colorado is not my MAIN residence. I'm only here 2 months a year. I've never run into this problem in the other states.

7. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    why don't you just go get a Colorado license and have both

it's not a big deal

8. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Joe,
    If I could figure a way to do that I would. The DMV's in most states (Colorado is one of them)punch a hole in your out of state driver's license thus voiding your license. So for example if you,Joe, came to Colorado and got a license they would punch a hole in your Cal license. Then if you ever got stopped in Cal and showed the officer your Cal license he/she would see the hole and know you have a license in some other state. Then the real problems would start. I don't want to void my MAIN residience state's driver's license. Heck, since I'm only here 2 months a year it's probably easier to sell the house and move on.

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually, if you get a CO license, you will have to surrender any other license and they send back to the issuing states. It is possible the officer was wrong in this case. I don't think you even have to have a license at all to register a car.

Dave

10. Bob L. Head

Bob L. Head Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 26, 2005
    The easy (and right) thing to do would be to -BE- an AZ resident... period! And register, tag and insure all your cars in AZ and drive (or trailer them, because you know it ruins their value if you drive them :) to your second, third and fourth homes.

You're making a big mistake saying that its' "the right thing to do" to register and tag your cars, out-of-state from your primary residence. Your cars should (like all your primary assets and even your primary banking) be where you live most of the year. I know a guy who used to "winter" in Scottsdale who finally got busted by AZ tax authorities JUST because he tagged his car there AND banked there AND paid year-round rent on his condo - even though he spent his summers at his "real" home.

My parents wintered in Scottsdale and protected their estate from AZ taxes CAREFULLY by NEVER banking in AZ (Mom, to this day, never uses an ATM and instead cashes checks at PVCC when she lunches there once a week). The car she drives down there has her home state plates. I think that car was "delivered" across the CO river in CA (by a Ford executive who sold it after he'd driven it for a year), then was driven back into Scottsdale and has never been outside AZ since! But - don't cross my Mom! - that car belongs to an out-of-state resident AND SHE CAN PROVE IT!

What's so disgusting about the airline pilot living in Vail with his 360, is that he LIVES there... yet keeps Wyoming plates on his car. That tells me he's evading Colorado state income tax and declares himself a Wyoming resident (probably listing his childhood home, which he rents out for additional income) when actually, he's a rich bum, living off the good graces and ignorance of the people of Summit County and Colorado.

Ah, the rich! They're different than you and me!
    I still think you're saving a few bucks with insurance, tagging your cars in states other than AZ. We all know what a cesspool of crime, Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are :) I bought my Ferrari from Scottsdale Ferrari and had it delivered to my home state JUST so I could pay my home state taxes and help the little children...yea right!
    Like the cop said to a Ferrari driver, "You're no different than a Toyota! You need a front plate on that car!"

11. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    ohhh good lordy, I am not going there!!!!

:)

-a

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    J,
    Vail is actually in Eagle County.

13. Bob L. Head

Bob L. Head Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 26, 2005
    Thanks for the correction!

I do hope to get that new Kobe Bryant edition of Trivial Pursuit for Christmas!
    Summit county is still prettier! Ah Rabbit Ears Pass... to Kremmling... to Winter Park or Silverthorne in a Ferrari!

Oh yea, according to someone "in the know" (I talked with my Mommy), it's the INTENT of where you live, vote, serve jury duty and file your IRS address - that establishes your "primary residence". In the case of her car, it was legally and properly delivered "out of state" (like my Ferrari) so that her home state taxes and car registration could apply to it (ditto mine). Her insurance company knows she keeps that car of hers at her second home (which they also insure). So, this fellow (Jeff) who's asking can surely do the same with his cars, at four homes. He's simply a resident and citizen of AZ with other homes!

Anyway, good luck to Jeff.
    I have a patient waiting! Ferrari nurse Jennifer, it's time for scrub up!
    (she looks so cute in her uniform :)

14. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    Put the CRACK pipe down, and walk away!!! Quickly!!

-a

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Umm, Rabbit Ears Pass is in Routt County and both Kremmling and Winter Park are in Grand County. But Silverthorne is in Summit County so CONGRATULATIONS!!! 1 out of 4 is super!

Geography and joking aside, I always thought that the purpose of paying registration fees on a motor vehicle was to maintain county road ways. Following that logic, our friend Jeff is doing the correct thing by registering his cars where they are driven.

And I would like to add that it's a little presumptuous of you to declare Jeff to be "evading" taxes. I would bet that he's not saving much (if any) money by registering his cars at the different residences. Furthermore, none of us know much about Jeff's situation and to accuse him of breaking the law on a public forum is not only uncalled for and wrong and really pretty poor conduct, in my humble opinion.

16. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

Whenever you see Oregon plates, you can pretty much guarantee someone is trying to skate paying registration fees in CO. There's a guy that lives near me who I see occasionally on my way to work. New S4 with McDonald Audi sticker on it, the guy lives and works in Denver and has Oregon plates. That really pisses me off.

I know that's not what the thread starter here is doing, but it's pretty widespread.

17. Bob L. Head

Bob L. Head Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 26, 2005
    Wow, without a map of Colorado counties you're lost!
    I accused the pilot living in Vail with Wyoming plates of probably evading taxes (or now that I think of it, deceiving his insurance company) - not poor Jeff

18. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    I guess its easy to say this thread was JACKED....

-a

19. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Oh Boys, let's stop here, this is America and we might not like to see this or that but it's a free country.!!!!
    The bottom line is that they do spent money in our economy one way or an other and some are doing that in others States to balance the situation.It's like filling up before the state line to save a dime per gal....
    I'm all for suporting the local economy but you end up paying one way or an other. nothing is free.They do end up changing oil at Dave's or FOD. who cares about the plates?
    Roland
    F40LM

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I always try to avoid situations where you show your license to State Police..........THAT would fix your problem, eh??? ;)

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Think that I'm wrong? Look it up. Kremmling and Winter Park are in Grand County, Vail is in Eagle County, Rabbit Ears Pass is Routt County, and of all the towns that you said were in Summit County, only one, Silverthorne, actually is.

I was a bicycle tour guide here in Colorado after college. I used to be able to name more peaks, more passes, more interesting (but not very useful) Colorado trivia than anyone I knew. I have forgotten most of it but I still remember some very basic things, like what towns are in what counties.

If you want to test more of your (un)knowledge about Colorado, just let me know.

Nonetheless I do find it interesting that you, a non-Colorado resident, would say that I, a Colorado resident, am "lost" in my home state.

22. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If it is indeed true that you need a Colorado license to drive a Colorado registered car then I suspect that you have sort of fallen between the bureaucratic cracks. Each state wants you to be Joe Average in terms of your paperwork, but you are not, a situation that is your problem, not theirs, and thus they could well offer no solution. I suggest you just drive about with your Arizona license and keep your head down at all times.
    I had/have a similar problem. Back in the 80’s I did a driving test and got a California driver’s license to go with the car that I keep there. Like you I just wanted to have all the normal documents if questions were asked. Ten or twelve years later I bought a car in Canada and also did the full driver’s test, not wanting to surrender my Californian one. After I had passed the written and the practical, and indeed after I had my mug shot taken, the girl at the computer asked “Do you have any other North American license?”
    “No.” I lied, mellifluously.
    She tilted the computer screen and then looked up at me. “It says here you have a Californian license.”
    You would not believe the shock I got. Caught! Flat out lying!! I tried to force my astonished face into an expression of happy optimism.
    “Really? Wow! I mislaid that thing years ago. You mean I still have one? Can you give it to me now?”
    “No,” she said, returning to the screen and typing away. That was the last I ever heard of it.
    I now use the California one in California and the Canadian one in Canada. As each country issues its own Social Security number, and as the addresses and linked vehicles are different I guess any computer software that hits my name twice just assumes I have a namesake with the same DOB in the other place. The only downside is that California uses its driving license base for jury duty and I keep getting demands to show up. There is irony there - the notices all say that production of their letter will allow me free travel on a bus to the courthouse, and yet they know I darn well I drive a car.
    I have sometimes wondered if I could become the character in a John Grisham novel. I could show up - on the yellow bus - get selected for jury duty and then, after the ax murderer/Microsoft was found guilty, throw a wrench into the entire proceedings by reveling that I wasn’t a U.S. citizen. I suspect that Arnold himself would come after me for that!

23. Bob L. Head

Bob L. Head Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 26, 2005
    As I recall, the first words I had on this topc were, "This is silly".
    Now it's just stupid with typical online flaming and BS.
    Who cares where "Jeff" registers his cars? If a guy with enough money and brains to own four houses in four states can't figure this one out...we're not going to do anything except spin yarn. I'll stick with the "keep it simple" advice: Be an AZ resident and tag all cars, nationwide, as such (to match his license).

I never "accused" Jeff of evading taxes. That's why I said the expert on CO counties was lost, when he accused me of that. Now the expert's ignoring that fact and just challenging me to a geography contest. No thanks. Not counting a fix and flip I'm holding the finance on in Denver county, the only county of Colorado I really give a damn about is Teller County, because I own a house and an acre in Woodland Park. WP is a lovely community in the mountains, high on the plains east of Colorado Springs (which everyboody knows is in El Pusso county! :) If you're ever in WP, go see my paintings at the Martini Hut! Buy one! Tell Carlos I sent you! I need the money, I've got a Ferrari to maintain!

24. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We would consider Woodland Park to be a foothills suburb of the Springs.

Dave

25. Imola2001

Imola2001 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    SoCO & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike C.
    CO DMV says it takes 90 days to establish residency, then you have 30 days to get a CO license.

As long as you are not in CO for over 3 months at a time you should be fine. I would think that you are not in violation until 4 months.

ME<-- In CO with a license from another state, and have spoken with a CO State Trooper. I let him know I would be happy to have a CO license, but first I need to establish residency. That was the end of that.