Driver Change Rumour at Ferrari | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Driver Change Rumour at Ferrari

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by YellowbirdRS, Jun 20, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Not really, just repeating actual facts.

2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Good Post Jeffrey.

Ron, Ferrari did not know that Alonso was available, had they there is a good chance he would have been in the car. I was shocked to find out that he was going to McLaren in 07 before the 06 season even started.

3. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Ferrari driver Felipe Massa has dismissed speculation that Michael Schumacher is set to come out of retirement and return to racing.

Schumacher’s presence at many of this year’s pre-season tests and races – nominally as an advisor to the team – has fuelled rumours that the seven-time world champion is missing the sport and wants to make a full-time return.

Initially it was thought he was being groomed to take over from Jean Todt as team boss, but while Todt has said Schumacher would be his favoured choice to succeed him, he has admitted that he has been unable to interest Michael in the role.

More recently, the disappointing form of Ferrari’s star signing Kimi Raikkonen has prompted suggestions that Schumacher might even be drafted back into the race squad.

Massa: Schu Will Not Make Comeback

Massa believes this scenario is highly unlikely, however.

“No, I’m certain that he won’t come back to drive,” the Brazilian was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

“I know Michael well. He’s not someone who makes U-turns.”

Massa has a close relationship with Schumacher, who he regards as a mentor, and has continued to benefit from his former team-mate’s advice this year.

“The fact that I am always still in contact with him means that I can’t say I’m missing him,” he said.

“I speak with him all the time; we are working together.”

4. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC

Unless it is in Monaco qualifying... :D

5. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Me too.

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Like the fact that KR would come to Ferrari and dominate ..:D

Those of you who are arguing for the sacking of Kimi and speculating on who will be replacing him are just a silly as the Massa bashing early in the season. Don't believe all that you read!

The floating of rumor about replacement and underperformance is a common Ferrari tactic. It is what killed DePortago and Musso (yeah, some of you will have to look those up). It is not unlike the brief Rossi infatuation.

MS is not coming back. KR will continue to learn the intricacies of communicating with the Ferrari team and of a car that was developed over many years for another driver. His performance will improve as the season continues. As good as he is, he still has relatively little experience in car development having jumped from karting, stopping briefly in FFord and FRenault for a few races and then straight to F1. If he was routinely at the last two rows of the grid, replacement would be a consideration, but not as he is performing currently.

7. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    It's great that Schumi cares so much about Massa these days, being his 'mentor'. Massa has been loyal to him and supported him, now it pays back.

8. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I was not (and am not) alone in that thinking.

I am still confident that Kimi is going to come around, I think he is one of the top 3 drivers in F1 and over a single lap, the fastest man in F1. I too am puzzled by everyone calling for his head...when they could be calling for Massa's instead...:D

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I am with Ted on this one. Ney those are good points on poor Musso and Alfonso Portago.

10. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    +1 LOL!

11. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would probably give that title to Mark Webber lol.

12. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Good point. He has always been a good qualifier.

13. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Everyone has a bad race now and then. I think he's earned some fair criticism, including from me, but as far as what you see, I think your rosso scuderia glasses fog your vision and your judgment.

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Tony, Todt has stated in multiple interviews that the only time Alonso was considered by Ferrari was in a role as test driver some years ago. He does not feel that Alonso's personality fits into Ferrari.

When Renault made public that they were not sure of F1 after 2006, do you not think that Ferrari would have gone after Alonso as did McLaren? They didn't. Raikkonen had a "option" contract in summer/fall 2006 with Ferrari about the same time that Alonso was finalizing negotiations with Ron Dennis. But think about it, if Alonso wanted to be with Ferrari he would have approached them. He didn't. He knew better. Additionally, Alonso is not very popular with the Italian press. Maybe because of his criticism of Schumacher.

I appreciate that some of you like Alonso, that is great, but until Todt, Montezemelo, Michael Schumacher, and Ross Brawn are out of the Ferrari picture, you will see a Nico Rosberg come to Ferrari long before Alonso.

15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    you seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel with this I mean what
    "50% of the credit has to go to Alonso" What!!! you ll be saying webber could have the done same next...

16. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

This why I believe he may never be chosen, for the Ferrari team. For some reason, I think FA's inability to exercise wisdom and restraint in the presence of the media, when he feels emotional outbursts coming on, would not be a trait that the scuderia would ever be in desirous of.

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    yup. nicely said.

18. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wasn't Nigel Mansell like that? Senna was like that also wasn't he? You think they'd turn him away? If they decide to replace their drivers, they could pick Alonso and just tell him to shut his mouth and do the job. You know how Hamilton was "groomed"? They could do the same thing with Alonso. All this talk about personality clashing sounds like a highschool drama. The most important thing is getting the job done, and doing it well. At this moment, Alonso is probably the best choice on the grid. Driving skill aside, he has experience and the proven ability to develop a car, so I think that puts him ahead of Hamilton in the eyes of a struggling team.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good thing then that the Scuderia never chose any of the media loud mouths like Prost, Berger or Irvine. :)

20. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    At this moment I don't remember if the personalities you have mentioned, were so quick shift blame for not winning onto the car they drove, or the team the drove for. They did however, speak freely about other drivers. In the case of Irvine, he was always crowing loudly about his superior abilities and rarely backing it up.

21. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
  22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In that case let me refresh your memory about Prost who compared his Ferrari with a truck and promptly got sacked by the team before the season was over.

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Per Todt on Sunday, no driver change at Ferrari.

24. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

Well he did get "shown the door."

They already have knowledge of FA's behavior. :D

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I was most upset about this because the very first GP I went to see was that years Adelaide which was at the end of the season ... and ofcourse Prost and Ferrari were my favourites.

Prost though was right, but deplomacy was required ;)
    Pete